Galil or AUG?

As mentioned, Israel received a huge quantity of M16's from the USA. It was cheaper to use them than build the Galil.

The Galil will function like the AK47 will function when not in the cleanest form. But, there is no excuse not to clean a rifle every couple of days.

It will work in the rain, it will work in muddy conditions and sandy conditions. But, like any machine, it should be clean and lubed.

Ben

A reservation I have with AUG is that it cannot be fired from your weak side. In car, and in situations where firing from your weak side is unavoidable, AUG's bullpup design is a problem.

Negative. The AUG is an ambidextrous rifle as the bolt is replaceable and the ejection port may be moved to either side of the receiver. Even the carrying strap swivels may be repositioned for convenient port-side carry. Excellent weapon.

AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg

Steyr_AUG_Stripped.jpg

And with the AUG there is always the flinch factor with the muzzle so close to your face.

steyr.jpg

??????

Last edited:
simply the best combat weapon for ranges from 0,5 to 400m

The AUG is a lousy combat weapon (I I understand it) best suited to ninjawannabes
:barf: never held one obviously.

The AUG gives you a 20" barrel (you need that for getting the best out of the 5,56x45) AND the ability to open doors with your weak hand while aiming or pointing. Can't beat that. It is simply the best combat weapon for ranges from 0,5 to 400m.

A reservation I have with AUG is that it cannot be fired from your weak side
:barf: never held one obviously.

Of course it can! If you had to change hands and eyes (bad idea anyway), all that would happen is a little warm brass that might touch your face. That's absolutely no problem. That changing sides never convinced me anyway. If I have to shoot from a weak heand corner I shoot as always. Makes me a little bigger target, but one that disappears much faster again as if I had to fumble with my weak hand on the trigger and my weak eye in the sight! :eek:

BTW: US Coast Guard uses the AUG. Guess why.

Last edited:
"Does anyone know what other 5.56 rifles aussies use beside Aug and M4?
5. My dealer has told me that he has an Australian rifle (he doesnt know the name) which has bolt like g3. I am confused as to what in the world is that? Do you know? He claims that is pretty good."

Leader SAR?

FWIW, I love both but would pick the AUG. The Galil however is the Bentley of Kalashnikovs, a must have for your collection

Heat-AK74.jpg

Last edited:
Any rifle that was designed with an integral bottle opener is worth a look in my book. And I thought that this Galil sniper rifle is very interesting. That flexible mirage deflector has me wondering though...

sr99.jpg

i've handled both weapons and fired a few rounds from the AUG. i would definately prefer the AUG to most other "assault rifles" out there. the ergos are good, it's quick handling and very controlable in FA.

Creature said:
Firepower! said:
A reservation I have with AUG is that it cannot be fired from your weak side. In car, and in situations where firing from your weak side is unavoidable, AUG's bullpup design is a problem.
Negative. The AUG is an ambidextrous rifle as the bolt is replaceable and the ejection port may be moved to either side of the receiver.

Ah, so if I have to roll out from behind cover to my left, I'll just real quick-like field strip my weapon.

What hand signal do I give the rest of the guys to say "Cover my sector. I'll be with you in a minute. I need to take a knee and switch my ejection port."? :p

Ah, so if I have to roll out from behind cover to my left, I'll just real quick-like field strip my weapon.

Apparently sarcasm isn't your strong suit. The rifle is ambidextrous in that you will already set up your rifle for your preferred side.

That is not the case. Firing from the weak side means that you have setup your weapon to your strong side and for some reason you must end using on your weak side. AUG does not let you do that. The guy who made comment that I probably never held one doesnt really know what he talking about.

351 I agree.

That is not the case. Firing from the weak side means that you have setup your weapon to your strong side and for some reason you must end using on your weak side. AUG does not let you do that. The guy who made comment that I probably never held one doesnt really know what he talking about.

My statement is still correct. The AUG is a completely ambidextrous rifle. What I did not say is that the AUG was "on the fly" ambidextrous. I was very specific about what needs to be done to make the rifle a left side ejector vs a right side ejector.

Last edited:
True, but the issue of firing from the weak side usually means emergency cases where you have to use your weak side, left or right.

Here ya go FP!, your mystery Aussie .223 series:
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=T2_MK5_assault_rifle
LeaderT2Mk5Carbine.jpg

Kind of AR-18/180ish, but the bolt knob in HK location.
I remember the semi pistol and carbine being for sale a few years back, IIRC a low prices for pre-89/94 weapons in the years following. I think the pistol was more common than the carbine. I like it. Looks real simple and easy to maintain, though uncommon (though in your case, you have a fine assortment of other stuff to fall back on). I believe it accepts AR mags, unlike some of the Euro .223 rifles of the time frame (HK 93, AUG, AR-70, FNC, etc)

What a great site, IMFDB. Too bad no entry for the movie Normal Life featuring in fact a Galil AR .223 and a blonde, topless Ashley Judd getting freaky with assorted handguns

Last edited:
Creature said:
My statement is still correct. The AUG is a completely ambidextrous rifle. What I did not say is that the AUG was "on the fly" ambidextrous. I was very specific about what needs to be done to make the rifle a left side ejector vs a right side ejector.

It would probably be more accurate to say that the AUG can be configured as a right- or left-handed rifle. A truly ambidextrous rifle could be used from either shoulder with equal facility, no?

Creature said:
Firepower! said:
Negative. The AUG is an ambidextrous rifle as the bolt is replaceable and the ejection port may be moved to either side of the receiver. Even the carrying strap swivels may be repositioned for convenient port-side carry.
The original quote is very specific. It doesn't say the gun can't be fired from the left-hand side, it says the gun can't be fired from the WEAK side. It further makes the point that the issue is not one of a left-hander using the weapon by specifically stating that the problem is when one is put in a position when weak-side fire is unavoidable.

Regardless of whether the person is right or left-handed, the rifle is going to be a problem to fire from the WEAK side assuming that it's been set up to match the shooter.

The fact that it can be readily changed (by disassembly/reassembly) from right to left-hand configuration is not relevant to the original objection.

Back