fun shooting the .32 revolver...

Got the Hopkins & Allen Safety Police small frame top break 32S&W out and gave it a Spa Day.

standard.jpg

It's a small 5 shot Auto Ejecting Top Break.

standard.jpg
standard.jpg

The Galco OWB Holster for my S&W DA Model 4 also fits the little H&A so that is what I generally use.

standard.jpg

This Safety Police was likely made in 1914 or 1915 just at the end of Hopkins & Allen but was another design that could be carried with a live round under the hammer. At rest, the hammer sat above the firing pin and against the frame itself ...

standard.jpg

... but when the trigger is pulled all the way back the hammer cams down and when the seer is tripped strikes the firing pin.

standard.jpg

As the trigger is reset the hammer cam raises it back up above the firing pin.

The DA trigger pull is something north of 12 pounds but SA around 4-5 pounds. Recoil of the 32 S&W shorts is perhaps even less than modern 22LR from a 3" barrel but with an 85grain bullet instead of the considerable faster 22LR 36-40 grain. Accuracy out to about ten yards is very good but it's really a five yard sweet spot. Partly that's a function of the sights, or more honestly the lack thereof. Typical of the time the sights are a small rear notch and a front blade.

Here is my .32 S&W Long in an old "I" frame double-action. I made the flap holster to keep it from the elements when I lurk in my woods.
enhance

enhance

Mirco-loads of Bullseye under powder coated Lee 93 grain cast bullets. Easy on the pocket book (and more readably available that factory ammo) compared to most cartridges.

Back