fun shooting the .32 revolver...

This thread just keeps going so I guess I have to weigh in.

I have a Single Seven Birdshead and an LCRX in .327 mag. I also have a CZ 83 in .32 ACP. The CZ is great fun to shoot, and is the handgun with which I am the most accurate. The LCRX is my daily carry, loaded with .32 H&R mag. The Single Seven is my favorite single action to shoot, and I carry it concealed from time to time.

I sold a Single Six .32 H&R to buy the Single Seven. I wanted the birdshead grip and shorter barrel, and when I looked into modifying the Single Six it made better sense to sell it and buy the Seven. I kinda wish I had kept it, but I do like the Seven much better, so the Six would have probably just remained in the safe while I shot the Seven.

I very much agree that .32 is a great caliber. I shoot a lot of .32 S&W Long in both revolvers. There was a thread here about "inherently accurate calibers" and the .32 Long has always been described as one of those. I find that to be true. Very pleasant to shoot, too.

I tried some .327 in the LCRX and it was somewhat punishing. It's a lot easier out of the Single Seven. But I just don't need to shoot the .327. The Long for practice and fun and the H&R Mag for carry suits me and my .32's just fine.

I have a single six in 32 mag. I may be wrong on this, but I think its the same size as a single 6 in 22. The single 7 is a larger frame. The Ruger can be loaded hot, but who cares? The 32 mag is way better than a 22, and with home cast bullets, cheaper too!

charter arms makes a three inch 32, cimmaron has the p jr in a 3220/32 convertible. either along with a marlin 3220cl makes for some fun shooting.
...wish i never let the 1903 colt pocket go (back when they were a 150 dollar plinker....bobn

Holdeth not, your breath, Jetinterior.You never know, but I'd be surprised if Ruger made that marketing move...all of the .32's are kind of 'cult' calibers in my opinion, but I gotta tell ya...they are truly fun...and great trail guns for most anyone. Minimal recoil, but substantially more smack than any .22, Magnum or LR.

Those two Rugers I've posted are right up there with my favorite guns. For packing around, the Mini-Vaquero is just right...but only lacks adj. sights to make it perfect. And that birds-head grip took about 1/10 of a second to feel just right in my hand. You seem to want a very light pocket type, but I'd bet a bag of monkeys, you'd really like the bigger Rugers. JMHO, Rod (If you take the plunge, PM me and I'll forward you some .32 H&R loads that are top notch.)
I hear ya, I’d even grab a nice 3” GP100 in .327 mag. Especially if it held 7 rounds.

I tried some .327 in the LCRX and it was somewhat punishing. It's a lot easier out of the Single Seven. But I just don't need to shoot the .327. The Long for practice and fun and the H&R Mag for carry suits me and my .32's just fine.

So do you carry the SA for SD?

HVR - Yes I do, from time to time. I'm well aware of all the drawbacks in a single action revolver. I have a Mernikle iwb holster that's very comfortble, especially with the 3 3/4" barrel. The seven rounds on board reduce the likelihood of having to reload. I don't run these days but I figure even I can get away from just about any bad situation while firing 7 carefully placed rounds.

But most of the time I carry the Ruger LCRX in .327 in my pocket.

Never have owned a .32 revolver or semi auto and I've kinda been eyeballin' the Charter Arms Professional, chambered in .32 H&R magnum, lately.... i have a couple of CA revolvers, among other brands, and have enjoyed them.

I'm getting interested in reloading and this might be a good way to work my way into it, since .32 ammo in just about any flavor is pretty scarce at retail... of course I'd also start reloading for .38 and .44 SPL as well, which i also enjoy.

jacksprat - That's exactly why I started carrying an LCRX in .327. My shooting hand hurts most of the time due to arthritis, and when I shoot it gets worse. Doesn't stop me from shooting, but I don't want to start flinching or any other reaction that will affect my shooting. So the .327 will accept the .32 H&R mag, which I think can be a good defensive round and is easier on my hand than any .38 spl I've found. And the .32 S&W long is a great, soft-shooting practice round. The .32 family of cartridges makes me very happy.

My 1920 Colt pocket positive 3.5" .32 long has become my favorite little trail gun for walks among the trees.

A few years ago I had a Ruger single-six .32 H&R, but found the 6.5"bbl too long.

jacksprat - That's exactly why I started carrying an LCRX in .327. My shooting hand hurts most of the time due to arthritis, and when I shoot it gets worse. Doesn't stop me from shooting, but I don't want to start flinching or any other reaction that will affect my shooting. So the .327 will accept the .32 H&R mag, which I think can be a good defensive round and is easier on my hand than any .38 spl I've found. And the .32 S&W long is a great, soft-shooting practice round. The .32 family of cartridges makes me very happy.
The beauty of the .32 Mag is that it propels a bullet light enough to keep recoil to a minimum, but fast enough to expand, and be heavy enough to penetrate.

I was shooting an 85grain XTP handload using Power Pistol powder (which is quickly becoming a favorite of mine for .32 and .38 revolvers) and the recoil was minimal, but the velocity was averaging just over 1000 fps from a 3 inch barrel. That wasn't even the max charge, I'm certain 1050 fps is likely with a max charge. Out of a .327 LCRx, given the strength of that, there's no reason a +P load wouldn't hit the same velocity with a 1 inch shorter barrel.

To get the same type of low recoil, yet decent expansion out of a .38, the bullet would have to be very light for the caliber and it would fail to penetrate as well. The alternative is a solid bullet and unless it's one of the copper/polymer Inceptor bullets, it would be a far less effective option than a hollow point that expands to .45 to .5 inches.

"My 1920 Colt pocket positive 3.5" .32 long has become my favorite little trail gun for walks among the trees."

I have a 1935 or so Police Positive in .32 Long, and a 1920s or so S&W Regulation Police in .32 Long.

They are incredibly fun revolvers. Both have 4" barrels. And, as I've said many times, the .32 are just so darned polite when you pull the trigger.

Ok, been watching this thread for a while and thought I'd chime in.
My 32's are an old Colt Police Positive Special in 32 Colt N.P. (S&W 32 Long) early 40's era 4" barrel 6 shot. A Charter Arms Patriot 327 Fed Mag 2 1/2" barrel 6 shot. And a recently sold Ruger Single Seven in 327 7 shot 3 3/4" barrel birds head grip Lipsey's. Sold the Ruger because loading/unloading was hard on my one bad non-shooting hand.
I accumulated a lot of Long and 32 H&R brass either shooting factory and buying Starline.
Well, it's my reloadable .22 in Longs and using a poly coated 100gr bullet from BadMan's, it's costs very little per round to reload. So much fun out of the old Colt. It's my James Cagney/Edward G. Robinson gangster movies revolver.
The Charter Patriot is a bear to shoot factory 327's being small and I don't want to beat it up, so I load 32 H&R's to around max and that is also a joy to shoot. BadMan's 100gr and also Hornady 85gr JHP.
Since powder charges are small, I went with a finer ball powder (HP-38/231--the same) than the flakey Unique. Got more consistent measures with the finer ball.
I just loaded some +P 32 H&R's in 327 cases/mag primers for the Charter, but haven't been to the range with them yet.

I went with a finer ball powder (HP-38/231--the same) than the flakey Unique. Got more consistent measures with the finer ball.
Yep. That is why I load AA#2 and AA#5 for my .32 H&R Magnum loads also. Haven't had any of my .32s out recently. Might have to pull one out... Say the Ruger Single Six. All I shoot is lead (78g, 100g, and 115g). Back to 78g RN (using AA#2) at .22LR velocities for most of my plinking loads. I like to think of my .32s as my 'reloadable' .22s :) .

Last edited:
32 revolvers are a lot of fun. I have... I don't remember, a half dozen or so.

100% agreed that 32 S&W Long is far superior to 22lr for SD.

I hope to go shooting Wednesday morning. My Single Six in 32 H&R and my top-break H&R will be accompanying me.

...at .22LR velocities for most of my plinking loads. I like to think of my .32s as my 'reloadable' .22s.
You got that right, Senor Rclark! Though I'm finding it harder to handle those skinny little case, they do provide some much needed exercise for my increasingly arthritic fingers. Best regards, Rod

Since it's really unlikely I'll get a chance to actually shoot any of my guns for quite some time all I can do is clean and carry. Lately it's been my 1968 H&R 732, a little Colt "D" frame or S&W "J" frame sized six shot revolver. It's 32S&W short or long capable and most often loaded with 32S&W long ball ammo.

Early 1980s Ruger Bisley Single Six in .32 H&R magnum for me, it’s in “brand new” condition. I traded it for a family heirloom double barrel rifle/shotgun combination gun that I realized only held memories for me, only a serious reloader could shoot, and only an inexperienced hunter would take afield- too pretty to nick up, too heavy to carry, and if you want birds, one barrel full of black powder shot shell is likely at least one barrel short of what’s needed. I hope the fella that had his uncle’s old Ruger that he never shot because .32 H&R is too hard to find and too expensive when you find it is pleased with our trade.

You boys quiet down about how good .32 is, or prices on beautiful old guns will go up!

As it’s a Ruger and I handload I am taking 100 grain XTPs up to 1200 FPS which is still very light recoil. I reckon that 32-20 took plenty of deer from rifles with cast lead bullets back in the day- this would not be my first choice for deer but it would work and I would not feel stupid shooting a rabbit with it either- try that with my .44 which is considerably heavier on the hip!

Even more pleasing are the 115 semi wadcutter loads (soft! Not cast semi hard for easy shipping!) mentioned in previous posts. Now I just need a little sample of .314 to see if a little oversized will group even tighter than “really good”.

Bird season is almost over, I’ll be back at the range soon enough. This .32 is one of my favorites and the Bisley grip is icing on the cake.

Put together this little novelty for a fun gun at the range but I had been known to take it along unloaded to a few poker games. 1849 Uberti Wells Fargo with 32 S&W conversion cylinder. I think you can actually fire the gun and run down the range 7yds and catch the bullet.

8BFD6570-508E-4CC0-9864-255414B89B05.jpeg

Back