Full Auto Should Be Legal...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Socrates said:
One thing that is abundantly clear is we cannot protect ourselves from terrorist groups without being similarly armed. No police force can even protect us in such situations as the L.A. riots, how are they going to protect us against an organized terrorist group?

Is that sort of threat realistic here in the USA? Are bands of terrorists and gangs launching wholesale attacks against law-abiding citizens backed by FA and rocket launchers/mortars? I do see that in Iraq and other third world countries where the rule of law is weak or non-existent, but here? Maybe I missed it on the news but if we say we need all military weapons necessary to counter a threat, shouldn't that threat be real or reasonably plausible and not just within the realm of improbable possibility? If not, shouldn't we be developing phasers for the coming martian invasion;)?

BTW, in the LA riot scenario you mention I would feel perfectly well-armed with any number of hunting rifles available to me without NFA restrictions. My understanding of looters and rioters and such is that once they hear and see the gunfire coming at them :eek:they skeedaddle! And it doesn't take a M2 to make that happen.

longrifles said:
What is the catalyst that will get us all to rally around the cause? What will drive us all to act and get these ridiculous laws reformed?

Very good question and the ultimate answer to this debate. Maybe if what Socrates says comes true (bedlam in the streets) enough people will agitate for military weapons. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Last edited:
I recently had to stay away from work, thanks to riots in Oakland. Seems a Bart cop got a black kid on the ground, at the Fruitvale Bart Station, and shot him in the back. The kid was asking at the time that the officer didn't tazer him. He died.

My work was in close proximity to both the areas with the riots, people running around burning stuff, and throwing rocks, destroying cars, and wrecking stores. Cops didn't catch them, only tried to contain.

If you check in another thread, the US Congress is now trying to ban imported firearms, with the excuse that we are the cause of the flow into Mexico.:rolleyes:

The truth is, we now have an oligarchy, and, we are going to end up just like the British are now, without the right to bear arms.

It's clear that our Congress no longer cares about our security, in our house or otherwise.

As to organized violence, all you have to do is look across the border. Tijuana and the border towns are rampant with crime, directed at American tourists, robbing and murdering, and organized kidnapping. It might seem strange, but, the police ARE the problem there, since they are the armed robbers, and, they are using their position to help the influx of drugs and illegals into the US.

Socrates, I was going to respond to your posts, but since nothing you say is germane to the argument here, but is rather just a rehash of political invective, I must decline.:D

WildyouhavelimitsoryoudontisthequestionthatkeepsgettingavoidedAlaska ™

Ok - we are going nowhere.

To summarize for your own cogitation:

1. Are there any limits on weapons ownership?
2. Are there realistic usages of FA for defense by civilians beyond TEOTWAWKI? Or are they just for fun?
3. If we can get them - what would be reasonable procedures, if you believe in procedures?
4. Can we discuss such in #3, without the good ol' invective from various forms and quarters of true belief?

Thus, I'm closing us down for being nonproductive. Good discussion for the most part and we covered the major serious points before we drifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back