FTF transactions, millions of stolen guns, the law, and you

Hunch it may be stole. Buy/trade for a gun if it were a screaming good deal?

• Report to police based on your 'hunch'

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Offer to run the serial number and/or complete bill of sale to see reaction of seller

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • Buy or trade for the gun, no questions asked

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Run, don't walk, away from the deal

Votes: 31 56.4%

• Total voters
It wouldn't be impossible for many people, including posters here who are adament that the go through all the checks, to inadvertently have a stolen gun in their collection EVEN IF THEY GO THROUGH A DEALER OR GET SOMEONES NAME/ID, ETC.. How is this possible? Well I personally had a revolver stolen from me years ago. That was back before I recorded serial numbers religiously. Guess what. I reported a revolver stolen. Could be in your collection of used revolvers!

So a point I'm trying to make is that you really CAN'T always know for sure. And the same is true with the sale of other items on craigslist, yard sales, ebay, etc.

So - why are guns any different? Is it because you can kill someone with a gun? I've seen expensive baseball bats (aluminum ones) stolen from sporting goods stores and sold on the side. They make fine weapons. No serial numbers there.

leadcounsel said:
It wouldn't be impossible for many people, including posters here who are adament that the go through all the checks, to inadvertently have a stolen gun in their collection ...you really CAN'T always know for sure. And the same is true with the sale of other items on craigslist, yard sales, ebay, etc...
That's true. One can't entirely eliminate risk. BUT one can minimize risk, and, perhaps, preserve some degree of recourse.

Appropriate due diligence isn't perfect, but it is prudent.

Appropriate due diligence isn't perfect, but it is prudent.

It would be silly for me to keep arguing the point, but...:D

Let's say you saw a gun advertised on this site.
By a member of long and good standing.
It is a model you have coveted for some time and the price is reasonable.
He/she lives near your town.
You have numerous conversations via PM, email, and telephone; regarding the options for payment and delivery.
It is decided that you will meet at an his/her office.
You are greeted by a person that identifies themselves, verbally, as the person you have been conversing with.
You sit in their office discussing gun stuff and chit-chatting.
You notice the diplomas and certificates on the walls match, by name apparently, the person to whom you are speaking.
The person's secretary or nurse buzzes in to say that there is a call waiting or a patient that needs attention.
You are asked to wait in the lobby/waiting room for a few minutes, while business is conducted.
After a short wait, you are invited back into the office and complete the transaction.
The seller does not offer a receipt, and when asked, states, smiling, that "I'm one of those whacko militia guys that doesn't do the paper-trail thing".
You leave w/o the gun?:p

p

Id run from the sale for purely selfish reasons. I dont want my gun being impounded somewhere down the line.

The secondary reason is I dont want to be arrested.

paull said:
It would be silly for me to keep arguing the point, but...

It's the same sort of argument wherein someone can come up with a scenario, no matter how unlikely, to support any point.

Are there one in a million, or even one in a thousand, exceptions? Yes.

The other 999 times out of that thousand, I want a receipt and ID. Considering that I am unlikely to buy more than 10 or 15 guns, tops, in my entire life, and most or all of them from a dealer, it's sort of a mute point in my world.

Back