French SEALs Carry the 6" S&W 686 !!!

Kernel

686.jpg

Was watch Speed Vision on cable the other afternoon. They were showing a program about the history of the French airplane manufacturer Dassault. Toward the end of the program they were talking about a French carrier borne recon plane that was hit with a SAM over Bosnia. The plane made it back aboard ship (with half of it's tail blowed away), but they showed some French SEALs (or French equivalent) getting ready in case it did crashed over enemy territory.

I was online at the same time and kinda watchin' the show with one eye. They were showing the SEALs getting there gear together, going up on deck, checking there weapons, making sure they had plenty of snails-in-garlic&wine-sauce MREs, refraining from using deodorant, and not pronouncing half the letters in the words they use…. you know, whatever it is French SEALs do to get ready for a mission. BTW the French carry some kinda funky bullpup assault rifle, of the type so en vogue (a little French lingo there) in Europe these days.

So these French SEALs are milling around the deck of this French carrier and I notice most of them are wearing these big bandoleer holsters. Hmm, wonder what they got in there, seems kinda large for a "crunch-n-clicker". Then one guy reaches in, pulls out a 6" Smith & Wesson 686, checks his load, and puts it back in the holster! I just saw it for a few seconds, but I'm sure that's what it was. Now, I'm not a big fan of the French, check my post under UGLIEST GUN, but this is proof they have at least one redeeming quality.

Can anyone else confirm, or deny (the Smith)? -- Kernel

The French are still heavily into revolvers. I observed a lot of S&W and Ruger revolvers being carried by the police when I was in Paris (1992). The French Gendarmerie Nationale also have a special edition of the Mini14. If I get my hands on the scanner and learn how to download a photograph, I post pictures of theirs. It is different from our own.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Dick Marcinko used stainless 4" Smith and Wesson revolvers when he started Seal Team Six, according to his book. Of course, I guess that was awhile back. He trusted them more to be reliable. He also claims to be the one who insisted on MP5's--says his superiors wanted to get "Mac10's for half the price."

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Years ago I read in a magazine titled "Gung Ho" that the French anti-terrorist unit used S&W 357 magnum revolvers among other pistols.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

French counter-terrorism teams use the Manhurin MR 73, a very high quality target grade revolver licensed off the S&W action. This and the Korth, along with older Pythons, rank as the world's finest DA revolvers.

Hey Gwinneydapoo,

I read the book also. But I believe he plankowners of Team 6 were using Rugers. Either Security Sixs or Speed Sixs when in a pure maritine environment. I can't find my book to confirm this. Can someone check this out?

That could be right. Sorry, I can't check--it was my sister's copy of the book. But it was about 2 years ago so it's definitely possible I just missed the boat. Wouldn't that be a kick--the most elite CT team in the world using Rugers? :)
I kinda like that if true.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Gwinny/Espresso:

Six was using S&W Mod 66s w/4" bbls. If you get to look back at the book, there's a good shot of one of their men with a Mod 66 in his right hand during a maritime training exercise.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited December 05, 1999).]

I was at a function (dinner) in Washington DC, the evenings entertainment included displays from the different special operations forces (US), low and behold the SEALS had their weapons laid out and there it was a S&W 686

Maybe, unlike some folks, they don't care about bells and whistles and just want something that WORKS!

Jim

Hey 4V50:

Those weren't RUGERS the French were carrying, they were Manuhurins.

These were greatly improved guns of Ruger design, manufactured under license from Ruger.

The French put a lot of effort into improving the lockworks, smoothing the triggers, etc. The Ruger-based guns also had a side plate (unlike the Ruger). One in 95% condition, according to the Blue Book, sells for almost $2,000. Considered a pretty damned good gun.
But not as good as the other Manuhurin revolver, one of their own design, which looks more like a S&W. A much more expensive gun, and considered some of the finest revolvers in the world. These are still used by some of their special ops teams. (I wonder if these might've been confused for a S&W revolver?)

One of the gun mags, this past year, had a series of articles about them. I've been looking for them, ever since.

I also think the French special operations teams use Manurhin revolvers. I have seen them mentioned in many gun publications as guns of choise for French counterterrorist units, and the French generally prefer to produce their own armament domestically even if it is lisenced by a foreign company (as do the USA also). For some reason some French units trust in revolvers while most of Europe has gone to semiautos only.

The French Manurhins are considered high quality revolvers in Europe. They have been used also in serious gunsports, for example in Silhouette competitions. Manurhins cost more than American revolvers (except Colt Python that costs about as much) here in Finland, but I don't know if that is the case also in France. Any Frenchmen in this forum?

Ossi

Any info on Manurhin's. I've searched the web, but nothing. Are they imported into the US. Anybody got one? Any experiences?

[This message has been edited by Joseph (edited December 06, 1999).]

Somebody help me... When was the last time the French won a war? I can't remember!

The S&W is the first decent choice I've heard that they made in about two centuries. Even a blind pig finds an acorn sometimes, it seems!

BTW, I'm a Frenchie by descent. However, FT pigs. They have never supported us since LaFayette! He would turn over in his grave if he knew them now.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

I've done some more research on Manurhin revolvers. First off, I was getting the spelling wrong. There isn't a whole lot of data out there, except that the company made the Walther pistols after the war.

I called Manurhin in France, and they no longer manufacturer the weapons, having turned it over to Chapues, a small manufactuer headed by Vincent Chapues. I spoke with him and they have no website as yet but hope to add one. Also, no US dealers, but he will sell directly to an FFL.

His phone number is 011-33-477-500696
Fax is 011-33-477-501070

Send him a fax with your address and he will mail out a brochure. Very nice man with good english.

There is also a website of a company in Australia which sells the Manurhin, and has some nice photos:
http://www.sportingagencies.com.au/index1.htm

Roon

What I saw on TV could very well have been a French made revolver, especially if it was a licensed copy of a Smith, in the brief time it was shown there'd be no way to tell. I am aware that a number of high quality revolvers are made in Europe, I've just never seen one in stainless steel. Stainless is a different animal altogether. A company would have to have special tooling dedicated to just stainless production - a very expensive outlay for a small military contract - the two materials machine very differently. Do any of the companies mentioned above make & market stainless revolvers? -- Kernel

The Manurhin comes in stainless, at least that's what shown on the sporting agency website, listed above.

They also use the Glock 17L and Berettas. Like our SEALS, they can get, and use, just about anything, and they do.

I've seen US SEALs w USP 40s for example.

------------------
>>>>---->

Back