Four-Legged Threats

I'm an animal lover. I love dogs And cats. you guys realize some people hate cats and some hate dogs, right? TFLs will be quick to admit they shoot cats, but you'll never hear about the dude who got his sox off dispatching a canine.

that is the guy I was worried about who had his skins disappearing in the mrngs. granted, he would've had more reason to send butterscoth (AKA Butts) to the afterlife. Butts got some towels, panties, shoes, bike helmets, dolls. Puppies teeth

they are scumbags out there who will kill a dog for no reason though or hit them with their vehicle.

I have also have heard that the only way to tell if a dog has rabies is to examine it's brain under a microscope which means dead dog.

I hate this thread and yet I cannot stay away from it. As a Vet Tech for 15 years I can say that yes, the only way to test for rabies is to examine the brain cells. I also can't believe this thread has not been locked yet.

Too many uncivilized, animal killing monsters in here.

Nocturnis31, I do agree with you. But, I have yet to see a reason to lock this thread. It's lasted longer than most on this subject. I'd like to think that it's because those of us who feel a life is worth something no matter what have stood their ground, for good reason. There is a logical aspect to both arguments, in some way. But again, people are just too quick to shoot things, period. As I said in an earlier post, "I may be wrong here, so forgive me if I am, but the reason people carry concealed legally is not for killing, it's for defending. I feel like too many people fail to understand this concept." This wasn't directed at PH/CIB, it was directed at those who on this forum make me feel uncomfortable with their intent to kill the unjust, animals or not. I make an effort to equalize man and beast to see whether my fellow TFL members will show enough responsibility over any life, not just their own. So far, I'm questioning the resolve of some.

My best friend on this earth was a Wolf, he was the only friend I could trust. He belonged to my ex, who I trusted LESS. When he died, I shed tears, and I'm not afraid to admit that. I've worked for a dog groomers. I've assisted at a Veterinarians. I've actually picked up and held a Fox showing multiple symptoms of Rabies, knowing it was on its final breaths, and moved it to a clear area. In frustration, I realized the only thing I could do was put it out of its misery, and I did as such. A beautiful animal, gone. Maybe I'm just insane, but every life means something.

I live in the country....

I was in the kitchen and I heard this noise in my garage - the garage door was open about a foot so my cats could come and go. I went in the garage and there were two dogs big dogs chasing my poor cat. The cat was under the car with the two dogs were running around the car trying to get the cat....

I ran inside and grabbed my airsoft battery powered AR that we keep by the door to usually shoo away the pesky animals that come up on our deck, feral cats, etc. All sorts of creatures make my cats lives miserable sometimes.

I unloaded on those dogs, full auto - 6mm plastic bbs hitting them in the ass. Yes - I am sure it stung and they ran like the wind. I was SO upset...I chased them down our road shooting at them till they were off my property.

What really concerned me is that I didn't recognize either dog. I know all my neighbors within a mile or more of my house and I have never seen those dogs.

It's one thing to have dogs running around without a leash [stupid] and another thing when the wind up in your garage. I was so mad....

Unleashed country dogs can pack up at night. I recall some friends of ours whom we got puppies from years ago. They had a big German Shepard that was apparently packing up with other farm dogs at night and killing live stock. The county sheriff came out and shot that dog. That was in the 1960s where "country justice" was pretty swift back in the day....

Regardless of these stories - dogs shouldn't be roaming around neighborhoods. Generally dogs that are just loping around being friendly and lost are one thing - but you never know - especially country dogs.

We have had instances of blue eyed coydogs in our county also - one got shot about 2 years ago by some farmer.

After all this talk is over, i like animals just as much as some of you BUT i still stand firm and believe "if a raging coyote or a mans pitt is coming at me, even if it's just growling when it's coming. I don't care and the owner is standing there. I'm fixing to drop that dog right there. I'd do it here I'n Texas and I'd do it anywhere if traveling. " i don't care care if I'm the only one who believes this way but i still do and won't change. Maybe it's true, maybe we handle things different down on the farm, maybe i am a redneck as some have stated. But I'n my yard or yours, your dog attempting to harm me is fixing to go to puppy Heaven. Please if this ever does happen, please don't do something stupid and be next! Would like to talk more but got to go clean my gun.

There seems to be two schools of thought here and neither one is wrong, we are all products of our life experiences and what is right for you is right for you no matter what anyone else thinks.

There also seems to be a difference between city folks and country folks, I have lived both places and one thing city folks do not experience as much, with animal control officers, is dumped pets. People dump pets dogs and cats and others in the country all the time, why they do not take them to a no kill shelter, I do not know.

This is one of the most cruel things you can do to a pet, domestic dogs and cats will be killed by coyotes or bobcats or puma or black bears, or will starve to death or freeze to death etc...Very few will survive, those that do survive will be killing and eating wild game or domestic livestock, and farmers and ranchers have the right to protect their means of making a living, how would you like it if a dog or cat caused you a monetary loss in your job or occupation, lost money is one thing but if you are operating on a thin margin, it can even take your business under. I hunt and fish and besides Thanking the Department of Natural Resources I also Thank the farmers and try to pay them something or give them some wild game for the priviledge of hunting and fishing on their farms as farmers and ranchers lose a lot of crops to wild game. Besides feeding all of us they also feed many of God's creatures.

Also living in the country, animal control if there is any, and law enforcement might be hours away, you sometimes have to do everything yourself. Also most country folks hunt and fish and also harvest as in kill and eat their own livestock, beef, hogs, chickens, sheep etc...If this seems barbaric to you and you eat meat visit the kill floor of a packing plant to see what you pay for.

Lastly I do worry about a small percentage of people legally carrying guns who might be too trigger happy and/or have unsafe gun handling traits. However I equally worry about the folks legally carrying firearms who have not come to the realization or mental decision that in order to save their life or someone else's life that they might have to take the life of another human being.

Combat, or self defense, whether civilian or military is the most error prone of environments.

Life and Death decisions made in split seconds under severe stress or duress.

I still commend them for carrying concealed, sometimes just showing a firearm will cause a threat to disarm or run away, and there is a good chance that they will carry concealed for a lifetime and never have to fire their handgun in self defence.

My nightmare is if they ever come up against a violent man who is determined to kill them, for in that split second of Life and Death, there is no time for philosophy, no time for rationalization, no time for feelings, and only time to react. And for those of you who have come to that realization,,, and you pull the trigger, possibly,,,

You still will be here.

And for those of you who have not come to that realization,,, and who hesitate and/or do not pull the trigger,,,possibly,,,

You will be dead.

I have had to shoot several dogs thru the years people dump dogs thinking their dogs will be happy living on a ranch because they don't want any more.it'a a sad situation.,

Victim Goes Home

Shashi Sharma, the 62 year old woman mauled by pitbulls in the incident that prompted me to start this thread, was discharged from the hospital on Nov 23 after undergoing five separate surgeries for the Sep't 29th attack. Part of her injuries included the de-gloving of her left arm.

One pitbull was shot and killed by police on the day of the attack. The second pitbull was found and destroyed by police several weeks later. The dogs' owner has not been identified.

I appreciated everyone's comments and input.

My point is not that an attacking dog should be coddled. My point is that the vast majority of dogs that approach are not actually attacking, and that a distinction should be made between an approaching dog vs an attacking one.

My thought when I read this was a simple, ok, but just how does one gain the wisdom to know the difference ? Mistaking a simple advance with a cautious attack can result in severe injury.

Today I read
Dogs are earthbound, so they need their pack to hunt effectively. And when a threat triggers their fight-or-flight response, they are more likely to react with aggression because their ability to flee from a predator is limited.

from D Karen Becker:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-ka...ec1_lnk2|115807#s489798&title=Fight_Or_Flight

This leads me to conclude that that 'Approaching dog' might actually be an 'Attacking' dog that is attacking cautiously. I think it better to be prepared for the worst when a strange dog approaches.

I'm sorry, Hook, . . . this lady may be a great vet, . . . but her "facts" are as far as I am concerned, . . . far more "opinion" based on some anecdotal event in some days past.

Dogs have an excellent memory, . . . my Norwegian Elkhound had not seen his original owner for several years, . . . yet absolutely knew him when he stopped by for a visit. Maybe not all dogs (like people, too) have great memories, . . . but to paint them all with a 1 hour brush, . . . she needs to get in another line of work if she's depending on that stuff for a living.

Her "earthbound" theory is rubbish too: dogs in their natural habitat, are predators, not prey. THAT is the reason they will at least come toward you or I.

Dogs have 3 responses to other animals 1) the other is prey, attack it; 2) the other is a competing predator, attack it; or 3) the other is an overwhelming threat, flee. Obviously, . . . 2 out of 3 are bad for the object, . . . and most dogs I have ever been around are not afraid to attack anything, regardless of size, if the "attack" button has been pushed.

May God bless,
Dwight

Dogs have 3 responses to other animals 1) the other is prey, attack it; 2) the other is a competing predator, attack it; or 3) the other is an overwhelming threat, flee. Obviously, . . . 2 out of 3 are bad for the object, . . . and most dogs I have ever been around are not afraid to attack anything, regardless of size, if the "attack" button has been pushed.

Dogs have a few other reactions to an animal (in this case your dog) that are worth mentioning:
1. Dog same sex competition. Things might initially be friendly, but might then turn into a dominance competition. This starts out with some same sex humping, tail raising, and then can turn into a full on fight. Relevant if you are walking your dog.

Given the source of the quoted material, The Huffington Post, I'm not inclined to think of it as authoritative. Like all such sources, some of what they say is bang on, too much of their material is unsupported opinion. I treat information from them, 60 minutes (especially 60 Minutes' dismal record in health reporting), and Fox for that matter, as unreliable. I would probably look for a more authoritative source. Your job is to find one on this topic - I'm too lazy. :eek:

I think several thoughts should go into ones mind when shoot a dog. Peter Capstick Hathaway, the writer of great hunting books like "death in the long grass" and "death in silent places" wrote in a story of an attempted lion attack in long grass. As Hathaway wrote, a hunter in Africa cannot shoot a lion unless someone is literally being eaten. Although in the story Hathaway did kill the lion, one of the clients took the lion on his game card to avoid miles of red tape. With all of the "animal lovers" in america today I would go so far as to believe as to think that this was an unwritten law in u.s. courts. As it has been brought up earlier, collateral damage is also a HUGE factor. Even if you dont hit someone, you can plan on being sued. Its a hard question to answer. I guess thats why I carry two knifes all the time, one for general purpuse and one for defense only.

Btw, read some Capstick sometime, especially if you love african hunting. You can literally feel the hunt, or being hunted. good stuff.

My woods carry gun has always been 10mm. Black bear is the single largest predator I may run into, but in reality, dogs are the single biggest threat. Always have been, as there are precious few fences around properties up north. So I wanted something that may fare well against blackie, but is controllable by me on smaller threats as well. The Delta Elite served me for over twenty years and has now been supplanted by a more packable Glock 29.

Been approached by many; haven't had to shoot any. Made some friends, though.:D

Back