For those of you who use a red dot on your carry pistol,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarondhgraham

For those of you who use a red dot on your carry pistol,,,
How do you turn it on in a quick draw scenario?

Isn't it one more thing you have to do before you can pull the trigger?

I'm not ragging on you or attempting to start an argument,,,
I'm just wondering how you deal with the extra step.

Aarond

I was curious about this as well. I love the idea of red dots on pistols, just not understanding how practical it is in an EDC.

Are you supposed to leave it on whenever you're carrying?

Hello Hawg,,,

"If you have to fire that fast you won't be aiming anyway."

That sorta begs the question:
Then why have it in the first place?

I'm really more curious about how you turn it on,,,
The only red dot pistol sights I've owned all had a twist knob for on/off.

There's no way I could work it with one hand.

Do the small "tactical" red dots have a better on/off switch?

Aarond

It stays on. A number of the pistol red dots out there have battery lives that will exceed a year (if not multiple years). Add in some models using auto brightness settings and some that turn themselves off when no motion is detected and battery life is a non-issue for many of them. The same is true for many red dots on rifles. No real need to turn them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delta point comes on when pulled from a holster

It stays on. A number of the pistol red dots out there have battery lives that will exceed a year (if not multiple years).

Thanks gentlemen,,,
I figured this had to be addressed in some manner.

Aarond

I have RMR’s on 2 of my carry guns. A Smith M&P and a Glock They just stay on all the time. I change batteries once a year (on my Birthday). Never had any issues

"I change batteries once a year (on my Birthday). Never had any issues"

That's amazing to me,,,
I had an inexpensive Aim-Point on my 9mm carbine,,,
I left it on after a range trip and the battery was dead just a month later.

Aarond

I had an inexpensive Aim-Point on my 9mm carbine,,,

Do you mean an Aimpoint knock off or an actual Aimpoint? There aren't too many inexpensive Aimpoints.

One of the lower cost options for Aimpoints these days is the Patrol Rifle Optic. It uses a larger tube and a bit older technology, but even it has a 3 year battery life.

The Aimpoint Acro doesn't have a particularly good battery life (perhaps as low as a month if left on continuously). It uses a smaller battery, but allows for replacing the battery without removing the optic.

To some extent you get what you pay for when it comes to red dot optics. That said, there are a number of affordable options from companies like Holosun that have good battery life.

Last edited:
My DeltaPoint has a sleep mode if inactive for 5 minutes, it goes to sleep with no battery drain until motion is activated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Trijicon RMR stays on and the battery can last up to three years, but batteries being cheap, I change mine annually just to be safe.

I am probably mistaken about "aimpoint",,,

I am probably mistaken about "aimpoint".

I haven't had it on a rifle in years,,,
That's the name that came to my mind.

The one I had cost me around 80-ish bucks,,,
I just never got used to it on my 22/45 or the carbine.

Aarond

Yeah not too many Aimpoints for $80.

You do bring up a point though that not all battery powered optics have that long of runtimes. If a person is interested in buying a red dot optic for a pistol it’s a specification worth looking at.

80ish bucks does not get you an Aimpoint scope. That is a specific brand.

An Aimpoint T1 will set you back around $700-$800
A Trijicon RMR runs around $600ish

Both of my Type II RMRs have been right around $425 each. But that was with really waiting for sales, otherwise you’re right. I only bring it up because I often see people compare MSRP to MSRP and I’ve found decent discounts on the RMRs that to me make the price difference as compared with more affordable models more palatable.

Last edited:
My Holosun has push button on and off. It also has a motion sensor so it shuts itself off if no movement is detected. With a battery life of 30,000 hours it would take a long time to run down even if left on.

Holosun and SIG optics use a similar concept.

I've heard Holosun makes Sig.

I have a laser dot mounted under the barrel on my 9mm. I’ve decided to put some Trijicon tritium night sights on the pistol, and may take the red dot laser off and sell it. We’ll see after I get the tritium sights.

Delta point comes on when pulled from a holster

That would be incorrect
The DPs are activated by motion regardless of where it is
If worn it will be on the entire time... less you fall asleep on the couch

My DeltaPoint has a sleep mode if inactive for 5 minutes, it goes to sleep with no battery drain until motion is activated.

Also incorrect
Then sensor that detects motion requires power
In sleep mode it still drains the battery, just at a lower rate than when active

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back