Food Shortage?

FireMax

My wife and I happened to be watching CNN last night, and they mentioned that CostCo was limiting the amount of rice each person could buy because people were coming in and buying loads and loads of rice. CNN then mentioned that rice prices had risen by 25% just in one month because many of the rice producing countries had bad rice harvests or whatever.

Anyway, flash forward to this morning... my wife is in a local supermarket and she said that there were 3 people in her line with a large bag of rice. She said the women all looked at each other and the rice bags and one of them spoke up.... "Did you watch CNN last night?". They all agreed that they heard the story on t.v.

Now, I have read about the possibility of a rice shortage this year, as well as wheat shortages. There have been riots in Haiti, Egypt and the Phillipines over these food shortages/higher prices.

My question to you all is..... is this something that you are taking seriously, or do you think that this is not a problem.

i think people should store more food than ammunition. From what I can tell by watching the news, reading scripture, and the stuff the tinfoilers are putting out...they're all in agreement...we have war, famine, and plagues coming.

Food, meds, & ammo.

food

I believe it is something to be taken seriously, rice overall has gone up 122% in the last year according to the reports I have seen.
Wheat and corn also although not to the same extent---I believe we may have a real problem in the next year.
I am wondering if a bidding war will come about, I mean there are food riots taking place in some countries at this very moment---didn't some one here mention in a thread about the riots or near riots in Brazil recently??
Will the corporate farms in the US start selling to the highest bidder??
I sometimes order foodstuffs online and I have learned that our government is buying and stockpiling much of the long term storage canned food ----as soon as it hits the docks.
Much of what I ordered this week is on back order because government officials have been taking the whole container off the ships when it gets here. HMMMM...This was from the horses mouth and Mountain House freeze dried foods have been selling most of their production to the government too.

Something else to consider, I believe that in 1975 , congress passed a law that our government had to have a 3 year food supply in storage for every man, woman, and child living in the US. I have read in various places that the supply is now down to 3 days---not 3 years--our food storage is all but gone and we are living crop to crop---one bad year weather wise and we could be hurting.

Dipper

reading scripture, and the stuff the tinfoilers are putting out...they're all in agreement...we have war, famine, and plagues coming

lol. When the Rapture comes can I have your car and gun collection? ;)

Harvests have been running below expectations for several years. There are oversees rice shortages and shortages in some US markets. What you saw at Costco is just a mania building. Should you store food? Always be prepared. Is a worldwide food shortage coming? Quite possibly, especially if we keep making corn into ethanol, putting in 1.1 units of energy to get 1 unit to the pump.

Panic induced buying by the media? Or is is it a distribution problem? We grow rice here in the United States. The United States grows 2% of the worlds rice and exports between 40% to 60% of that.

Another scenario is an epidemic that causes quarantines. Those without food could be forced to go into public to search for food and risk exposure. The H-7 influenza virus seems particularly nasty.

http://www.physorg.com/news128179789.html

The H7 serotype -- the first documented equine influenza virus -- was isolated from an equine outbreak in Czechoslovakia in 1956 that spread around the world. Subsequently it was shown that the virus was a very highly pathogenic H7 virus in chickens and other birds that had moved into horses. Now H7 is prevalent in birds, a fact that gives public health officials great concern.

Whittaker thinks there's a significant probability that the characteristics of H7 (which has never been studied in any kind of molecular detail before) as it infected horses in the 1950s would be similar to the characteristics of virus behavior when the next virus pandemic occurs in horses and in humans.

"The horse," Whittaker says, "can give incredibly valuable information for our global understanding of influenza."

The investigators also plan to study the serotype of the virus that caused the 1918 flu pandemic and today's avian influenza serotypes to try to figure out what distinguishes those from flu viruses now circulating in the human population.

"We've shown that there's clearly an obvious difference between equine and avian viruses, but those between the human and avian viruses are more subtle, so we're going to have to do more work to find out what's going on there," Whittaker explains.

Source: Cornell University

From the normally stodgy Wall treet Journal...

* * * * * * * * *​
R.O.I.
By BRETT ARENDS

Load Up the Pantry
April 21, 2008 6:47 p.m.
I don't want to alarm anybody, but maybe it's time for Americans to start stockpiling food.

No, this is not a drill.

You've seen the TV footage of food riots in parts of the developing world. Yes, they're a long way away from the U.S. But most foodstuffs operate in a global market. When the cost of wheat soars in Asia, it will do the same here.

Reality: Food prices are already rising here much faster than the returns you are likely to get from keeping your money in a bank or money-market fund. And there are very good reasons to believe prices on the shelves are about to start rising a lot faster.

"Load up the pantry," says Manu Daftary, one of Wall Street's top investors and the manager of the Quaker Strategic Growth mutual fund. "I think prices are going higher. People are too complacent. They think it isn't going to happen here. But I don't know how the food companies can absorb higher costs." (Full disclosure: I am an investor in Quaker Strategic)

Stocking up on food may not replace your long-term investments, but it may make a sensible home for some of your shorter-term cash. Do the math. If you keep your standby cash in a money-market fund you'll be lucky to get a 2.5% interest rate. Even the best one-year certificate of deposit you can find is only going to pay you about 4.1%, according to Bankrate.com. And those yields are before tax.

Meanwhile the most recent government data shows food inflation for the average American household is now running at 4.5% a year.

And some prices are rising even more quickly. The latest data show cereal prices rising by more than 8% a year. Both flour and rice are up more than 13%. Milk, cheese, bananas and even peanut butter: They're all up by more than 10%. Eggs have rocketed up 30% in a year. Ground beef prices are up 4.8% and chicken by 5.4%.

These are trends that have been in place for some time.

And if you are hoping they will pass, here's the bad news: They may actually accelerate.

The reason? The prices of many underlying raw materials have risen much more quickly still. Wheat prices, for example, have roughly tripled in the past three years.

Sooner or later, the food companies are going to have to pass those costs on. Kraft saw its raw material costs soar by about $1.25 billion last year, squeezing profit margins. The company recently warned that higher prices are here to stay. Last month the chief executive of General Mills, Kendall Powell, made a similar point.

The main reason for rising prices, of course, is the surge in demand from China and India. Hundreds of millions of people are joining the middle class each year, and that means they want to eat more and better food.

A secondary reason has been the growing demand for ethanol as a fuel additive. That's soaking up some of the corn supply.

You can't easily stock up on perishables like eggs or milk. But other products will keep. Among them: Dried pasta, rice, cereals, and cans of everything from tuna fish to fruit and vegetables. The kicker: You should also save money by buying them in bulk.

If this seems a stretch, ponder this: The emerging bull market in agricultural products is following in the footsteps of oil. A few years ago, many Americans hoped $2 gas was a temporary spike. Now it's the rosy memory of a bygone age.

The good news is that it's easier to store Cap'n Crunch or cans of Starkist in your home than it is to store lots of gasoline. Safer, too.

Write to Brett Arends at brett.arends@wsj.com

* * * * * * * * *​

BTW, the wife and I try to keep at least three months worth of food in the pantry at all times. The gasoline we store in a detatched garage and the guns alongside the bed.

food frenzy

CNN says it so the three ladies in the store all bought lots of rice to be prepared. Someone sees those three and figures they need to get a bag just in case. Meanwhile the price of rice goes up becasue there are now buyers willing to pay more just in case. Is the story we are seeing unfold.

Food prices are going up dramatically. But is it a food shortage or just higher profits? I would have to believe if it was an actual shortage in the US producers would be seeing higher prices. From what farmers, ranchers and fisherman are claiming they are not getting more. Production cost have gone up as most food production has energy cost. Some producers are shutting down as fuel cost are exceeding potential income levels.

Canned salmon is a great indicator to me. Over the last five year fisherman have been getting the same price per pound for salmon. Catch levels for some species of salmon are so high that there is no market for the raw fish. Meanwhile the retail price has tripled. So whose making the money and where is the shortage of raw product?

Last summer I put a lot of miles in those mid-west grain areas and the grain areas of Canada. Miles and miles of truck loads of grain. An endless number of rail cars being filled with grain alongside the roadway. Some times acres of wheat stockpiled on cement slabs as the grain bins were full. Every time you stopped in one of these areas you heard continual stories of how prices were going down and record levels of crop productions were happening. Now all of a sudden wheat products (flour) has had great increases based on supposed shortages of grain. HUM!

A significant issue has been the price of energy. Diesel fuel is a major cost in the production and transport of wheat (fuel for tractors, combines, trucking, rail travel, etc.), and fuel cost is way, way up. That gets passed on to all of us.

A significant factor in the rising price of oil is speculation in the oil market by hedge funds and the like. That speculation has already spread to other commodity markets (including corn and wheat futures).

Add on top of that the increased wealth in India and China (which increases demand for grains as feed for livestock) and the increased demand for corn for ethanol, and you've got a recipe for rapidly rising food prices.

I must say that it all makes me a bit uneasy. I've read that our wheat stockpiles across the world are at the lowest level since they have been tracking them (30-40 years of data). Now rice. +, I keep seeing news stories about food/price riots in different areas of the world. Yikes.

I think I will put more effort into preparing for shortages rather than taking a wait and see approach. I'd rather have the problem of too much food than a problem of not having enough.

nothing to worry about

unless you are in 3rd World and exist on subsistence wages (couple of hundred dollars annually).

In most parts of US, even at minimum wage, food is ultra affordable.

My question is how long is it going to take a family to finish 80 lbs of Rice before the household vermin do? :eek:

Just me and the wife and I have rice several times a month. I am still working on the 3 3-lb bags I bought for $3.00 and I just bought 3 more for the same price. where is the shortage?

In most parts of US, even at minimum wage, food is ultra affordable.

In this country, obesity is the mark of poverty. The poorest Americans are, on average, the fattest. There are exceptions, of course. See Michael Moore. He's got some bucks...........

The politics of self-fulfilling prophesies.

I have been in the retail food market since '93. While my specialty is in Frozen Food and Dairy, I have done a stint as an assistant grocery manager for a few years (another store that I used to work for). So I am aware of emerging costs.

Besides the costs of fuel, there is the cost of corn syrup and gluten. These three things have affected all areas of food production.

There is one other thing that has driven the stores costs up.

In the past, items damaged in transit were replaceable for either the undamaged product or a credit to the store. Mispicks, were sent back to the warehouse and the store received a credit for the wrong item (including a credit on the delivery charge). This can be (and usually is) a significant amount of money over a years time.

Quietly, and with very little fanfare, the DHS has issued directives to manufacturers, distributors and warehouses. These directives do not allow for the return of any items to the point of origen. Instead, manufacturers, distribution centers and warehouses have been issuing a small credit (Cost Of Recovery/Replacement). This is all part of the DHS anti-terror campaign.

What this does, at the store level, is supposed to reimburse us for damaged and mispicked items that we received in error. The reality is that we have to keep the item and market it (if marketable). In almost all cases, the store loses money, as the CRR does not amount to the actual cost of the damaged/mispicked item.

The management now has to figure in this loss and adjust pricing accordingly. This costs the consumer. It doesn't stop there. Since warehouses, etc., no longer have to take back damaged/mispicked items, accountability has just about stopped. We have been seeing an proportional increase in damaged/mispicked items being shipped.

Now add in the idea of panic buying (which started just after Christmas). Increased sales mean increased product shipped, which means increased damaged/mispicked goods. Vicious circle.

Say, Thank you, DHS!

Actually, if people paid attention to the report from CNN they would have noticed that the reporters admitted that there is not an actual shortage and this is all speculation. They ever did a story yesterday to explain to people that the first story was speculative in nature and that the riots are due to other factors as well as a "perceived" shortage.

Last edited:
CNN should do a story about how their speculative story on rice shortages caused a rice shortage.

Most of those soccer moms loading up on 25 pound bags of rice at Costco are going to have the remaining 20 pound bag in their pantry a year from now. As is normal with a real shortage those with the means will hoard. America has the means. The problem will be in other nations.

I seen it on TV so it must be true. We are all gonna die from starvation.

We are fat and lazy. Its easier to buy a frozen pizza than to make one. Your brat is squalling? Stuff its face with sweets and garbage.

Ever stand in a line with fresh veggies and meats and grains so that you can make economical, tasty meals (like my world famous lasgana that costs $14 in supplies, one hour of time and feeds us for a week) and see some food stamp person buying Ben and Jerrys and convenience food?

High food prices are good. Stops folks from eating all the crap they eat. Who cares if Cap'n Crunch goes up 20%...buy something healthy for breakfast. Quit eating BIG HUGE FAT STEAKS, go with stir fry....I can turn a pound of chicken into an art form

I just bought 50 pounds of rice for $41.99. Its just me and SWMBO and she is a rice burner ("Listen, Ken-san you are hakujin (white person) I am Asian women, my body need rice or I die")....two cups of rice is a serving for us (with some leftovers), so I calculate that for $41.99 I just got about 75 servings of rice at .55 cost for two of us. I can feed my fat ass dinner for .25!

Best thing that can happen to the fat US is to cut down on processed foods and crap.

The media wants a food crisis so that they push their agenda of whatever their agenda is.

By the way, we have a climate crisis too...here is what I am seeing today, April 25th! Enjoy the weather!

IMG_9201.jpg

WildfrozenchosenAlaska TM

Quit eating BIG HUGE FAT STEAKS

The day that happens is the day there is no digestible red meat available. That includes any slow, dim witted and negatively productive neighbors. Musky needs his red meat.

Back