Follow along for my 25 PRC build

stagpanther

Since I received notice from preferred barrel blanks that my barrel should be shipping soon, I have started the wheels in motion to get parts together. The 25 PRC is still a wildcat, so parts and components involve some improvising. First things first, I chose a savage 110 receiver as a base, and a year ago I had bought a synthetic stock 110 from buds in 280AI and as usual didn't read the fine print (or maybe there wasn't any to begin with) and didn't notice it had both a bottom bolt release and smooth barrel barrel nut--along with savage's teensie extractor-- my least favorite aspects of their firearms and really wish they would improve or get rid of altogether.

I tried spinning off the action with an action wrench--but that didn't work because the barrel nut just spun along with the action eventually locking it, so plan B was to put the action in a receiver vise and use a pipe wrench on the barrel nut. That worked easily and the nut came right off, though distorting it but who cares, I would never reuse it anyway.

Because of the accutrigger's bottom bolt release and the likelihood I'll run the COL's of the cartridges pretty long (and also the fact I already have one)-- I decided to base the build in an MDT chassis which dispenses with the bottom bolt release silliness in a savage for the simple side slot and the ability to load cartridges long in an AICS magazine.

Be it ever so humble, here is the start:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5882.jpg
    IMG_5882.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 285
Ok, Savage 110.
But then ya lost me....
How does an MDT chassis change a bolt release?

IF that 280AI barrel was 24", it needs a propper home in PA.
Prefferably at my house! :cool:

How does an MDT chassis change a bolt release?
Quite simple, really, they simply cut a slot in the side of the receiver which exposes the sear bracket, all you need is something like a hex key to reach it and pull back. Not quite as handy as a built-in bolt release, but still an improvement over the trigger guard bottom-release IMO--plus the chassis will still work with top-releases.

attachment.php

As for the barrel, it's little used, but I think I'll keep it as a back-up since I do have a 280 AI build. Sorry bout that. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5885.jpg
    IMG_5885.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 255
Next step in receiver prep; truing receiver face, receiver barrel threads and receiver lugs with PTG raceway piloted reamer and replacing recoil lug with thicker magnum type lug (though probably not necessary). Test fitting of a barrel and receiver--without any lubrication or anti-seize applied the barrel threads on smooth as silk. Getting Savage's "micro-bead" thread locking out takes quite a bit of work, especially if you pre-heat the barrel nut since I'm guessing it's made of some kind of plastic judging from the melt and flow I discovered--but that's speculation on my part.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5886.jpg
    IMG_5886.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 241
I found 4 boxes of very expensive 6.5 PRC factory ammo--I had no choice but to pay what amounted to $3.75 per cartridge and empty them just for the brass. Now I have to get the right bushings to neck down for the .257 bullets.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5909.jpg
    IMG_5909.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 215
Just curious. How much do you want for those 6.5mm pills?? Got that PRC I am building, and could always use components.

Want to talk price? PM me.

Last edited:
Word to the wise--there is a slight ring on the some of the bullets where it was gripped by the collet remover, even the ones that don't might be altered--in other words you may not get consistent stability from them. PM me if you're still interested. (more than happy to trade for brass!!!)

Gunbroker. Check creedmore sports, precision reloading. Lapua, ADG, Peterson, Norma,Nosler are all making it. There's a listing for 200 pieces of Lapua on Gunbroker for $500.

I checked tacticool out--and I don't like their reputation and I've checked your other "usual suspects" as well and still can't find any that's actually in stock. In the meantime I completely forgot about needing a .25 caliber expander for the sizing die. :o

So, what looks like leftover shot blast is a thread locking system?
What the heck!??!!

And, yeah, i'll agree. It was a PITA getting it all out of the Axis action i'm using for my bench rest build!
Even worse was getting it off the barrel so i could unscrew the nut getting ready for sale.

So, what looks like leftover shot blast is a thread locking system?
What the heck!??!!

And, yeah, i'll agree. It was a PITA getting it all out of the Axis action i'm using for my bench rest build!
Even worse was getting it off the barrel so i could unscrew the nut getting ready for sale.
I don't know what the stuff is--but I've taken apart enough new unfired savage rifles that I'm pretty sure it's not residue from firing or production debris.

Necked down with a .282 bushing--easy peasy with the prazi, I'm loving the Prazi more each time I use it. I'm going to wait until the barrel comes in and I get a better idea of what the chamber is like before I fiddle any more with the cases. Just found and ordered some 120 gr Seneca bullets from Patriot Valley. Fedex has lost track of the Bergers I ordered last week and they have no information where the package may or may not be.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5911.jpg
    IMG_5911.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Stag I've been checking on brass almost daily. That listing is up for a few weeks.
The two hundred Lapua cases for minimum bid of $500--or buy now at $550? I think I actually do come out a bit ahead buying factory ammo and taking it apart once you calculate the costs of the bullets and primers separately from the cases. I filled a 1lb jug with about 11 ounces of the powder out of 80 cartridges.

With the price of primers now you most likely do. Anyone that has them under 15 cents a primers don't have any.:mad:

Back