FN made model 70 Winchesters

375H&H drops pretty quick with 300gr loads. The 375H&H and other africa bolt actions are heavier and the kick is not as bad as one would think. When hunting caribou on the open plain in Alaska, it drops very quickly compared to a 7mm Mag.

IMHO, A 338 Win mag is typically as heavy as a 7mm mag or 300 win mag and has a lot of kick.

I've loaded 225gr Hornady's with min. amount of Varget and created a nice deer load. My dad has shot coyote and deer with it. These loads are about 2500fps. Speer makes a 235gr in .375. I think Woodleigh does as well. Someone still makes 235gr factory ammo. But I can't remember who.

His 375H&H is a 1975 model.

The new FN made 70's with MOA trigger are excellent. I got my dad a Super Grade and made 270 WSM 130gr Accubond loads with IMR 4350 and Norma brass. It is very accurate as well as the Winch 130gr Ballistic Silver Tips. I am getting about 3260fps from the 3275fps factory rated ammo. The IMR 4350 had no problem reaching those speeds. R19, and R22 didn't do as well for me. R22 never got up to speed, and the R19 was too peaky.

I thought this thread was about

FN made Win Model 70's.

My LH Mod 70 is a Featherweight Classic in .270 WSM. Despite the fact that it was manufactured in Connecticut, in 2006, I am very happy with it.

I had to have the Gander Mountain gunsmith relieve a little wood around the bolt release mechanism, and I had another gunsmith put an aftermarket trigger in it. But once I took care of those little tweaks, it has given me good service.

I'm glad I got it, before they went out of production, because the FN production does not include Lefties. :(

I love the Schnabel forend and the fleur-de-leis checkering pattern on the stock. Been wanting a Featherweight since I first saw one, in 1976. That one was in .257 Roberts, and a rightie. I thought it was so beautiful that I would have bought it if I had had the money - but alas, still had 2 young kids at home at the time, and just couldn't swing it.

It would be stupid and pointless for 99% of hunters to buy a .375 H&H rifle

That's it I'm getting me a 375 H&H.I agree with owning at least one .300 H&H and one .375 H&H.And I'm going to go hunt in Oregon !:p

First post.

The new South Carolina - made Win 70s are very well made. I would put the fit and finish on par with T/C (which is slightly better), above current quality from Remington, and well above Marlin (from the lever guns I passed on at the gun shop) and the lower - end Rugers (why did they do that to the 10/22!?). Not sure about the Ruger Mark IIs as I haven't handled one - I hope the production quality on bolts are better than the rimfires - do you get what you pay for?

I'll state that the .375 H&H Magnum is a sweetie pie of a cartridge. It's a hard push that doesn't kick your teeth out. Why own one? Because of the romance, that's why. A CRF, pre-64 actioned Model 70 in .375 H&H Magnum is one of the more desirable guns ever made. The fact that you can plant anything on earth without too much damage, with near .30-06 trajectories and range, while having plenty in reserve for an aggressive bear, is undeniably alluring.

The pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in .270 Winchester hearkens back to a simpler time in American history when people like Jack O'Connor could roam over hill and dale all year long and make money writing stories about stuff we all long to do.

Own the pair, and you have a brace of perfectly serviceable real-world performers steeped in folklore, nostalgia and history. You get to walk a mile in your ancestors' shoes.

Do you need more than a .30-06? No. Are you doing anyone a disservice by anchoring a mule deer or a moose or even a mountain goat (your call if you want to carry a 10 pound gun in the mountains) with a controlled expansion, 270 grain slug with a similar trajectory?

Again, adamantly No.

So if you want to pretend you're on Safari in North America, knock yourself out. The game won't know much different, and if they did it would be because the lights went out faster.

Back