FN made model 70 Winchesters

Anyone here have one of the new FN made model 70 Winchesters. Just read a review by a guy who had several problems with more than one of these guns.

Thinking about buying the Safari Express chambered for 375 H&H--BUT............???

Got a .308 Coyote Lite. Great shooter. Getting between .6**-.75" groups. 3 shots @ 100 yds. Trigger is not bad. Works as designed. Absolutely no take up or creep. Checked out their Extreme Weather SS model. Fit and finish looked good on it, too. Would not hesitate to buy another.

I have the Featherweight, Limited Edition version in 270, I love it, zero problems.

I'm a Model 70 guy anyway, I have several, pre & post 64s. It's my opinion the new FN Models are the best of the lot.

fn winchesters

I own three winchester extremes in 30-06,300wsm and 325wsm all three are tack drivers. Also have coyote light in 22-250 ,sporter in 270wsm, all are great shooters and have high quality workmanship,regards Marc

Sounds like they are pretty good rifles. I wonder if they are planning on a special run of left hand models. I have two 1999 stainless classics in 30.06 and .300 Winnie, but would try another caliber in a lefty if they ever make them.

I've owned a M70 Stealth for about a month now. I'm still getting to know the rifle, but the only complaint I've got is the trigger. Well, not the trigger so much as the pull weight. Actually, the trigger itself has a very nice feel to it with minimal take-up and a very clean break.

I removed the action and dug out the sealer and backed up the adjusting screw after the first range day and that helped. It's still at about 3# which is too heavy for me. I'm probably going to get the lighter springs from Ernie the Gunsmith, and get them installed by a local smith. I'd really like to bring it down to about 4 ounces (I don't hunt game). So, the trigger is not really a complaint, just some of the normal tweaking I'd do anyway.

I've got a 6x10x56 scope with mil-dot reticle on it and the rifle, shooting Federal GMM 168 gr SMKs, manages sub-MOA even the first day with the heavy trigger.

Cold-bore shots group a little better than when it warms up, but its still breaking itself in.

In sum, I've been very happy with the rifle. It is my first Model 70. I'd given up on ever owning a new one after the manufacturing disaster in Conn. I am delighted that FN took over and QC'd this rifle back to where it needs to be. I think it is fair to once again call it, "The Rifleman's Rifle."

I have one of the Extreme Weather versions. Great rifle, cheesy stock that will be replaced. Anyone can have issues with almost any rifle, but as near as I can tell the FN Winchesters are a winner.

Just read a review by a guy who had several problems with more than one of these guns.

Where exactly did you read this review? The FN made Winchesters have not been on the market that long.

Thinking about buying the Safari Express chambered for 375 H&H--BUT............???

Why on earth would you want to waste money on buying a 375 H&H Magnum?

Last edited:
To put bigger, deeper holes in things, of course....

Not at all necessary or even desirable for 99% of hunters.

I cannot see any legitimate reason to own such a rifle. There is only 1 game animal in all of North America where one could possibly even say that the use of the 375 H&H could even be justified.

-

I dunno.I don't necessarily buy into having to "justify" one.The .375 H+H is a great cartridge.Mine isn't an H+H.I neck down .458 brass.It is on a commercial FN mauser in a Garret Accra-Lite stock.I enjoy shooting it.I get 2600+ with a 260 gr Accu-bond.Close to .308 trajectory.The H+H is similar.
.I have backed away from the hypervelocity 7mm-30 cal stuff.
If a person wants a battery with say a fine 30-06 and then something bigger like a .338,the .375 is another great choice.
Someone said "If you are hunting rabbits in India,be prepared to meet a tiger"
Its not a bad Alaska rifle.Semi-big semi slow.
There are a lot of Marlin Guide Gun type 45-70 shooters here.I imagine the ones shooting the higher pressure round bounce as much as my .375.A .375 M-70 is a classic.

Anyone here have one of the new FN made model 70 Winchesters.

I've had my Featherweight in 243 for over a year. It's a fine rifle in all respects. Very pleased with it in all regards.

Not at all necessary or even desirable for 99% of hunters.

I cannot see any legitimate reason to own such a rifle. There is only 1 game animal in all of North America where one could possibly even say that the use of the 375 H&H could even be justified.

Then you obviously haven't hunted much of anything in Alaska. A semi-experienced hand loader can tailor a multitude of loads for game ranging from elk, caribou, blacktail deer, mountain goats, etc... The trajectories of which almost mirror that of a .30/06 180gr. The difference is, there's enough horsepower behind it to take care of a ticked-off Kodiak bear if necessary.

Not everyone has identical situations and conditions for choosing a particular cartridge. I don't think that's a bad thing. If all we had was the .30/06 we would put meat in the freezer just fine, but as they say; variety is the spice of life... And if we're on a super-reality-check, can any of us justify eveything in our collections? Some can, some cannot; the fact of the matter is no one needs to justify all their purchases...

That's very true. There are sure some "need" guns in my inventory, but many are there from pure want and desire.:D

Then you obviously haven't hunted much of anything in Alaska. A semi-experienced hand loader can tailor a multitude of loads for game ranging from elk, caribou, blacktail deer, mountain goats, etc... The trajectories of which almost mirror that of a .30/06 180gr.

jgcoastie:

You've basically proved my point. The vast majority of hunters don't hunt in Alaska. The vast majority of hunters also don't reload either.

It would be stupid and pointless for 99% of hunters to buy a .375 H&H rifle

Here in Oregon where I live, the .30-06 is the biggest caliber anyone needs. And in my opinion, even it is only needed for Elk.

You've basically proved my point. The vast majority of hunters don't hunt in Alaska. The vast majority of hunters also don't reload either.

It would be stupid and pointless for 99% of hunters to buy a .375 H&H rifle

Here in Oregon where I live, the .30-06 is the biggest caliber anyone needs. And in my opinion, even it is only needed for Elk.

If we want to get down to brass tacks such as that, then let's just do away with every cartridge except for .30/06. It'll take down anything and everything in North America, including the big bears up here.

If someone buys a particular rifle/cartridge combination to fulfill a desire that they have; I don't see that as stupid or pointless. Every cartridge has its place and every cartridge can be used for a multitude of different tasks. Who knows, the OP may be planning an Alaskan adventure where a .375 H&H will be very well-suited.

I probably won't need my 1895STP when I transfer down to the lower 48 next year, but that doesn't mean I'm getting rid of it.

What's wrong with a 375 H&H just because someone "wants one". I have a 375 H&H, a 416 Rigby, a 458 Winchester, not to mention several other calibers I don't hunt with.

I don't feel its anyone's business as long as they ain't signing my pension checks.

You don't want one, fine, don't buy one, but to tell someone else they don;t need one is ridiculous.

Someone ask me why I have a certain gun, or why I have so many, I simply reply "because I can".

Back