FMJ for self defense

I prefer not to use FMJ in my defensive pistols, just like I prefer not to use LRN in my .38 revolvers.

FWIW, when I carried some .44 Spl & Magnum revolvers off-duty many years ago, I preferred not to carry LRN in them, either, even though they were considered to be "big bore" calibers.

Last edited:
Well if you must know, I was shot with a HP in the left shoulder, it broke apart.
You misunderstood my remark.

Your initial comment implied that unless someone has been shot, they aren't qualified to comment on the topic. That is incorrect. It is roughly equivalent to saying that unless someone eats a rotten egg, they can't possibly understand that it's a bad idea to eat a rotten egg. In fact, people are quite capable of avoiding eating rotten eggs even without ever having to eat one, and without even ever having to ask for advice from someone who has eaten one.

You imply that being shot is a pre-requisite to understanding bullet terminal performance. That is not true. One does not need to be shot to understand bullet terminal performance. One need not be in an airplane crash to be an expert on analyzing airplane crashes. A person does not need to have had brain surgery performed upon them to be a brain surgeon. A person does not need to be stabbed before he can become an expert on sharpening knives.

You imply that being shot makes a person an expert on bullet terminal performance. That is not true. Being shot does not make one an expert on terminal performance any more than being in an airplane crash makes someone an expert on airplane crashes, being stabbed makes someone an expert on knives, or catching Ebola makes one an expert on hemorrhagic viruses.
A FMJ would have gone thru the bone and maybe killed me.

There are two problems with your argument. First of all, anecdotes tend to be gripping but they are not the same as sound reasoning or compelling evidence.

It is interesting to hear of someone's experiences, but those experiences do not necessarily add to our insight of a particular phenomenon. For example, listening to someone tell of becoming sick after eating bad seafood doesn't provide us with any information we didn't already have. We already know that bad seafood can cause sickness, just as we know that sometimes bullets blow up on bone.

The second problem is basing conclusions on speculation that is built upon the foundation of an anecdote. Maybe an FMJ bullet would have gone through the bone, maybe not. Maybe it would have killed you if it had gone through the bone, maybe not.

Maybe an expanding bullet of a different design would have gone through the bone and killed you. Maybe not.

We don't know what "would have" happened or what "maybe" would have been the result.

While a 9mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet won't shrink.

Depends on a lot of factors. Biggest 2 are caliber and environment.
I carry a 10mm at times but unless I am in the woods where I might have a nasty large critter would never dream of carrying FMJ full power 10mm as a defensive load. The reason would be over penetration as in taking out a target and the 2 behind them also. I never carry heavier that 180 grain JHP's and most of the time carry 165 or 155 to drop energy on target but not risk over penetration. Getting hit with something transferring 700+ ft lbs of energy is going to to send a message and slow an attacker down even if the target is wearing a vest and it doesn't penetrate.
Now on the other hand when I carry a .380 pocket pistol unless I am running +P I will run hardball due to the LACK of penetration.
Carrying hot loads in high velocity calibers like the .357 Sig,10mm and the like in hardball for defensive use is unwise IMO. Slow heavy calibers like a .45 is ok but bottom line be responsible with what you carry if you can and be aware of the penetration issues.
Reason is what you see here in a gel test with heavy hardball 10mm and over 2 FEET of penetration in gel even at a lower velocity than you would see with the hot factory loads like Underwood or BB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTPtXUQGK0
Now look at the results running a much higher velocity 135 grain JHP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkUm7iegNbM
This is what I am carrying right now in my S&W 1066. DEVASTATING damage but due to expansion penetration is limited to under 18 inches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_n_miLfbY

Last edited:
I carry RNFP and TCFP in .40 S&W.

Hard cast LSWC in .38 Spl and .44 Spl.

Not a fan of HP bullets. Seen too many failures and lack of penetration.

Solids will reach vital organs and CNS from many more / less ideal positions and conditions.

Back