First Time Gun Owner

44 AMP said:
They look like Pythons on the outside, but the lockwork is not what was used on the original production guns, and he tells me that the trigger pulls, while "ok" are not the fabled great triggers that Pythons became famous for.
Although the lockwork is new, Colt was very mindful of the "Python trigger" mystique and they went all out to make the new trigger as good as they possibly could. There are many who disagree with your friend and who think the trigger on the new Pythons is as good as the old. I have never fired an original Python so I have no basis for comparison. I have handled the new Pythons (a large number of them, in fact) at the SHOT Show, and I will opine that the trigger is head and shoulders nicer than any other revolver I have ever encountered.

Lockwork reengineered to accomodate modern maufacturing technology. I suspect some parts are MIM which was first tried on the Colt MK III Troopers. While MIM has come a long way from the "sintered metal" days of the Colt MK III Troopers, it's not as durable as the old forged and mill (much more labor intensive to fit) lockwork. American Rifleman magazine had a writeup on them and had a snapshot of the lockwork. It still has a rebound lever, but reengineered. Bolt stop is more like the S&W lockwork in that it isn't reliant on the rebound lever to operate but the trigger.

Back