First Time Gun Owner

Good thing you didn't ask this a month ago! :D

I downloaded a copy of Phillip E. Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading & read in there where he attributed the name to Wesson .

Why was the name Magnum chosen for the new cartridge and revolver?

Other than the obvious "because they wanted to"?? its because it was a larger than standard "bottle".

The term "magnum" has been in use in the wine industry for a long time, and it denotes a larger than standard size bottle.

The term was introduced to the shooting world by the British gunmakers Holland and Holland with their new .375 H&H Magnum round about 1912. And again in 1925 with the .300 H&H Magnum.

The term had a marketing appeal, and was technically accurate as the rounds had "bottles" (cases) larger than other rounds.

when S&W introduced the .357 in 1935, the case was longer than the standard .38 Special, so "Magnum" was appropriate.

Latin makes anything snazzier. Magnum derived from Latin for "great"

.357 Great anyone?

and the .357 Maximum also went to Latin for "largest".

Welcome to the forum. Like you my first Modern gun was a 357 magnum. No where near the quality of yours but close enough.

Gary

The term was introduced to the shooting world by the British gunmakers Holland and Holland with their new .375 H&H Magnum round about 1912
Actually - the .500/450 Magnum Nitro Express and the .500/450 Black Powder Magnum Express cartridges were the first to use the name "magnum". That was somewhere around 1870 or so.

H&H is given credit though - probably because of the success of the .375

44 AMP, Please don't be offended by this, but after reading your post, I am wondering if you are aware that the OP bought a brand new Colt Python just recently made by Colt? Yes, Colt started making them again.

Hawg, Why did you post this to my post? It s obvious in my post that I know about new pythons. I saw what you sent me many moons ago.

I guess I missed where the OP said that he bought a new version Colt Python, unless it was from his user name, Python 2020!LOL

I wonder if he was inspired by the movie, Blunt force trauma? Where the main character uses a Colt Python. Alot of mula for one to spend on their first gun!

An original Python is like a Ferrari, but a new one has to be tested, more like an automatic Porsche.:D

44 AMP, Please don't be offended by this, but after reading your post, I am wondering if you are aware that the OP bought a brand new Colt Python just recently made by Colt? Yes, Colt started making them again.

No, I'm not offended at all. I was completely unaware that Colt was making the Python again. Is it exactly the same as it was before? Or has Colt changed some things?

Thank you for the information, i'll do some looking.

Hey guys thanks for all the advice and support.
@Driftwood did you post all that from a blog? Thanks it's more than thorough though I have no idea where Magnum came from?

Well, I had asked her to pull 2 boxes of .357 ammo for me when I bought the gun thinking it was the less powerful/gentler recoil... It makes sense now b/c she was trying to steer me to the .38 ammo. Ammo's also tight here; but it sounds like beginners also benefit from dry shooting drills.

Thanks for the tips; I'll make sure to ask about basic cleaning an dealing w/ jams/failures. I heard some Pythons had issues w/ various springs and it'll be good to have someone experienced check it out to let me know everything feels right!

Yeah I feel kind of sheepish having such a nice gun as a first purchase... but the situation here is it literally was the only revolver they had in stock unless I wanted to wait...

I know it seems a bit daunting when you first start shooting, but as long as you have the basics on safety and practice those basics diligently the rest comes pretty easy. I’ve been shooting revolvers since the late seventies and in all that time and many thousands of rounds in .22, .38sp, .357mag, and .41mag the only malfunctions I’ve encountered were from Junk getting under the ejector or the ejector rod coming a little unscrewed, both easily fixed. Just point the gun up when ejecting to keep any powder particles from getting on the ejector, or have a small rag to wipe it off if it gets something on it. If the ejector rod works itself loose a little blue loctite will fix it never to bother you again.

Yeah I feel kind of sheepish having such a nice gun as a first purchase
No real reason too! Think of it as an heirloom. ;)

One thing no one has mentioned so far though - the Python isn't as robust as the S&W N frame, L frame and /or the Ruger GP 100.

Pythons have a bit of a reputation for going out of time if shot with too many magnum loads - or so I've heard.

Did some checking, it seems Colt began making "Pythons" again last year. However, according to an expert friend of mine who has examined 3 of them in the shop where he works, they are not exactly the Pythons of yore...

They look like Pythons on the outside, but the lockwork is not what was used on the original production guns, and he tells me that the trigger pulls, while "ok" are not the fabled great triggers that Pythons became famous for.

On the plus side, if something does go wrong with one of the "new" Pythons, Colt will almost certainly be able to fix it.

Congrats on the Colt. I've handled but never fired a new Python, but I sure liked what I felt in the store. I've shot their new Cobra and King Cobra models and found a lot to like about both of them. I opted for a Kimber k6s but love Colt.

Colt Python as your 1st gun??? Hey, you are A-ok in my book!!! Welcome!!! Enjoy your revolver!!! Should be a ton of fun shooting .38's out of it. A wise choice!! :D

Driftwood Johnson shows again what an asset to the shooting community he is, fantastic essay! :D

Welcome to Mr. Python2020. Do me a favor... when you get a moment, run a search for “Cooper’s Four Rules” and compare these to what your paid instruction provides. There are endless ways to teach gun safety but in my opinion (and shared by many) these four rules are the best because it’s all you need and it doesn’t get lost in a slew of over-information.

These rules overlap to protect you and others when it comes to handling and shooting firearms. Extremely valuable.

If you are the type who loves to read and learn and feed on it, check out this site:
www.corneredcat.com
It barely does justice to say that this is a wealth of information. It is a jackpot.

Back