First pistol

"First" Pistol

the question of "which pistol to own, if you will own just one" is tough.

When asked why I need more than one firearm. I reply by saying that even though you can still play golf with one club, you can do better with more than one. I once saw a video where a guy only plays golf with one club and even listed his first choice …… :rolleyes:

First Pistol;
Ruger MK-Family and preferably MK-II. From there, you can go to many of the ones previously mentioned, in this thread. My "Second" handgun choice, would be the GP-100 Family.

Be Safe !!!

First is women’s hand strength which makes heavy guns and heavy triggers a complaint item. These make revolvers hard to really get mom interested.

I'd say it depends on the mom, and the pistol. Desire can overcome a number of physical difficulties, but not all of them, and physical difficulty can kill desire. You need to balance and adjust them to the shooter. There are "work arounds" for many things, but its much better to begin with a gun that fits the shooter's physical capabilities, rather than one they have to work at in order to learn to operate it.

For example, my mother was 4'10" (and a half, damnit!!) never weighed over 110lbs in her life, and wore a size 3.5 ring. My son's mother is 5'9" and weighs ..er..considerably more..:rolleyes:, and has a much larger hand size.

My Mom couldn't use any of the pocket autos, though the grip size was good for her, she couldn't rack the slide. (a combination of small gripping area and her small fingers and gripping strength). She could operate a Colt Government Model, and preferred Dad's .38 Super over his .45, but wasn't really crazy about either one. She could also shoot Dad's Highway Patrolman ,357, but not DA, too long a trigger reach combined with the pull weight and the overall size of the gun for her small hands.

Dad got her a Ruger Super Bearcat, and she loved it. She shot it a lot, and shot it well, to the point where she got the local nickname of "Annie Oakley". A small light gun that is shot well even in calibers sneered at for personal defense is a better choice than a bigger, more powerful gun that can't be handled well by the shooter.

Today, few consider the SA revolver to be a good choice for home defense, against guns that hold more rounds, and reload faster, but for something to use to target shoot, train a new shooter, and could be pressed into adequate defensive use in gravest extreme, but I don't think it is something to be completely ignored.

You have the simplicity and durability of the revolver, no long heavy DA trigger to master, it only works one way, no slide to rack, no magazine to ensure is fully seated, etc.

IN this case, its not intended to be a carry gun, nor a priority self defense gun, but a gun for target shooting /plinking that could be used defensively. SO, while a combat/duty style gun would do, perhaps its not necessary, and a more sporting type would serve better?

A Ruger SA in .357 (and there is even one that comes with a 9mm cylinder) gives a wide range of ammo choices, recoil and power levels from mild to wild, and ammo cost from about as cheap as it gets, on up to what ever you want to spend for premium...

Plus, there is also the possibility of them just liking to shoot it. This isn't a minor thing. Getting beginners (no matter their age) interested and enjoying shooting is a good thing, and a "light" gun helps with that. Even a .22LR is better than nothing, and when they get comfortable and enjoy shooting, that "only going to get one" might become "only going to get one more..." that "one more" being a more serious defensive pistol.

Just some things to consider. Might not be the right choice for you and yours, but something you could consider along with other things.

Colt Combat Commander in 45ACP in Stainless steel for low maintenance , I like blue though . Revolrers have more maintenance , cylinders , cylinder face , cone and barrel . Auto remove the slide & barrel spray it down with Ballistol , patch it out , wipe down the frame and your done .

CZ 75 with the Kadet 22 Conversion Unit. Learn to shoot with the 22, the transition to centerfire is smooth because the feel of the pistol is familiar.

A Ruger SA in .357 (and there is even one that comes with a 9mm cylinder) gives a wide range of ammo choices, recoil and power levels from mild to wild, and ammo cost from about as cheap as it gets, on up to what ever you want to spend for premium...

Seems like a good option. And while we are at it, the 9mm 1911 commander might be a good choice, if they are up to learning it... I think the Springfield EMP even has a smaller grip!

Some good suggestions. We are going Saturday to rent some guns and see what feels best out of an array of pistols. I already reload thousands of 9mm for my wife so in a semi-auto, that will be the caliber. In the revolvers it will be 38 .

Browning 1911-380

Lots of ideas here... since you want low maintenance, of course a revolver beats out most semi-autos... but the OP stated other factors. One being his Mother-In-Law. I've introduces more than a few newbies to guns, including young ladies AND Mother-In-Law ladies. I start them off with something mild like an SR22, and then work my way up to more punch. My Browning 1911-380 seems to be a favorite for new shooters. When they hold my Glocks they are just a bit to thick for smaller hands. The Browning is mid sized, has very little kick from the 380's and the relatively thin body and an easy grip they can wrap their hands around comfortably but not so tiny that it's difficult to handle. My Walther PPQ 40S&W is also liked more than larger thicker handguns. But most like this one below.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1911-380.jpg
    1911-380.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 190
Except 380 ammo is twice the cost of 9mm.

OP they do make 9mm revolvers as well; that way if he decide to get a semi later, he will have one gun in each type shooting the same inexpensive ammo

I would also say G17 or G19.

Personally I lean more towards the 19, but that may not be his preference.

Hits all the requirements, readily available, dead simple to use.

Other than that, just the standard advice to go to a range that rents, and try a few out. See what they like.

Sometimes that leads to surprising results.

It’s how I ended up with a Glock. Considering getting another.

Should go without saying that regardless of the ultimate decision, practice and familiarize, repeat.

Hope something is discovered that causes a big grin.

Stats, just a wonderment... How old are these folks? And, how is there hand strength holding up? We don't need to know that, but it is something to consider... maybe.

I'm a bit of a CZ junkie, but I have seen that small area for grabbing and racking the slide on certain models (such as CZ and their clones). And well, there are just some SA's better than others when it comes to folks continuing to shoot up into their arthritic years.

The inlaws are not elderly, they are 59 & 57 yrs old. But, they have both shot everything from my 44 mag on down to my ruger Mk 3. But I dont have many revolvers. And the father in law is one of the least mechanically inclined human beings I have ever met. Which is why I was looking at revolvers for him. But I dont have a 38 for him to try, or a 9mm revolver.

Sorry, not..Just went to Wally world and 100 9mm was $20 or so...380 was $28 or so.

Check here. .380 is more expensive than 9mm but cheaper than .38 and 357..

https://www.wikiarms.com/group

That was my first thought too. The original post specifically said "ammo cost needs to be considered," then I see a litany of recommendations for .38 and .357 and now .380, all of which are poor relative values. What?

As soon as requirements include ammo cost, 9mm becomes a runaway winner, especially considering: (1) Modern 9mm JHP is highly effective, and (2) there are a LOT of fine 9mm handguns to consider.

Concealment wasn't a requirement, but reliability was, so I'll repeat my recommendation: The Glock 17/19/19X/45.

BOOM.

How are they with the internet? If they order ammo online, 9mm is about $180 per 1000 to the door. 38 Spcl is $250 per 1000. Not bad for either. Rural King and Walmart can come close, but SD ammo will be much cheaper at SGAMMO.com.

All things considered, since he is familiar with many or some of your guns and you mention:
My initial thoughts are an s&w 686 in .38 sp/.357 , but perhaps I am overlooking something.
Personally I would run with that, especially with a wife in the picture. A S&W 686, 586 or any similar well made revolver should fit easily into the price point and offers reliability and affordable ammunition. My general suggestion to new shooters who are looking for recreational shooting and home defense is a quality revolver. I am not saying a semi-automatic 9mm or any other semi-automatic is a poor or bad decision, I am merely basing what I would suggest on what you have mentioned.

Ron

"the father in law is one of the least mechanically inclined human beings I have ever met..."

Yeah, I would be looking for a revolver, too. A medium-framed 4" or 6" 38 special or 357 would probably be about right.

One of my classmates from HS texted me recently. We're in our 50's now and have kept in touch over the years. She started feeling a little uneasy living alone and decided to get a handgun for HD. After doing research and renting some guns, she bought a 4" S&W Model 10 police trade-in and is very happy with it. She's not a "gun person", but paid for lessons and enjoys shooting it. She felt that for her semiautomatics seemed more complicated and she felt more confident in her ability to use a revolver if she suddenly needed to.

Back