First pistol purchase, can't decide between .40 or .45

But, as others have noted, I have detected a subtle, latent wish from the op to be talked into getting a .45. If this is the case, get one! There's really no "wrong" choice with either cartridge and you can always get the other one later.

Perhaps that is the case.

My last issued "duty gun" was chambered in .40 S&W. It was a great match for the gun. No "snappy" issues. As the bullet flies, I have two identical guns in Officer Size, one being a .45ACP and the other in .40S&W. I can shoot the .45 ACP all day long, the .40 tends to hurt my hand after a couple of hours on the range. It might be noted that the frame on these guns was light weight aluminum composite while the slides were stainless.

So to sum it up, both rounds are good defensive rounds but if you are looking for a bit more mass in your bullet and a longer staying power at the range, go the 1911 route. I never met a 1911 I didn't like.

The recoil of any firearm is determined by its weight and the specific load fired from it.

Tula .40 FMJ is comparatively cheap, sufficiently accurate for humanoid targets to 50 yards and it doesn't kick any harder than any other substantial service pistol cartridge.

Reloaders, battered by the .40's horrendous SNAP, need not live in fear any longer. Paul Scarlata's excellent article Make Right With a “.40 Lite” insures that mere mortals can enjoy the 40 w/o being tossed about like a paper sack in a hurricane.

Interesting. I note that this particular guy is having to work up a load he can handle with carpal tunnel syndrome.

From the article (copy past doesn't format right) he's use 3 grains of Bullseye behind a 180 grain cast lead bullet.

For .40 with a Lee 180 grain truncated cone bullet, I've settled on 4.8 grains of Bullseye. I've never felt like my load was particularly harsh. I shoot .40 in an XD40 Service.

Maybe the lesson is, for .40, shoot it through a big enough gun.

Between the two I would recommend the 45 ACP. It runs at a lot lower pressure and is easy to reload for. The 40 is a good round and in a full sized gun, pleasant to shoot. I have owned several sub compacts in 40 and did not shoot them as well as the same gun in 9mm.

No matter what gun you start with, you will probably find you want something different if you are like most of us. In the last 30 years I have owned more different hand guns than I can remember and am still looking for the perfect one. :D

Back