First pistol purchase, can't decide between .40 or .45

The .40 and .45 are two of my favorites, and both are awesome choices.

However, most people will shoot a .45 better than they will a .40. If you want to shoot a bigger bullet and less recoil at the same time, choose a .45. If you still want a big bullet but want something faster (flatter trajectory), get a .40.

Both are very effective and neither one is a bad choice. The .45 can also shoot .45 Super which is simply awesome (same size, basically a higher pressure .45 ACP). But since you have what it takes to reload, the .40 is no wimp. Out of my 4" G23, with the right powder it's no issue to shoot a 180gr at 1150-1200 fps, 165's around 1250 fps, 155's over 1350.

On the other hand, my G21 can get a 230gr JHP to 1000 fps and even a 250gr hardcast to nearly 1000 fps with the right handload. I guess my point is, I don't really have one. Both are great choices, but I would say the .45 is going to be a little easier to shoot, it's recoil impulse is a little softer than that of a .40. I can't choose between them, I guess that's why I have both (and then some).

Let's see - you have dies and supplies for 1,000 rounds of .40 S&W. Sounds like you made your decision. What do the cops carry? Of course, if you study the internet, you will find that the .40 is useless. The new 9s are just as powerful, and of course the .45 ACP has far more power. On the internet. But those silly professionals who stake their life on it still carry .40s, often (gasp) Glocks. Stay with your choice. If you are a serious shooter, and it sounds like you are, you'll have a .45 sometime, and a 9, and a carry gun, and a mouse gun, and a couple revolvers, and...

The best caliber advice I ever got was: "carry whatever YOU can shoot the best". We can break down balistics all day long, but all in all, get what you shoot the best. If you think about a practical, real world defensive situation, your target is at cross the room distance. At that close of a range, will it really matter a .40 vs .45? Either round will do the job quickly and effectivly. There's pros and cons to either round, so just get the one that you shoot the best and are the most comfortable with.

Personally, I prefer a .45, although I admittedly: (1) have very, very little personal experience with the .40; and (2) think that the .40 is within the "window of acceptable performance." Then again, I'm not set up to reload 1000 rounds of .40. If I were, I might go with .40, just to avoid having to buy new supplies, dies, etc. I have to agree with redhawk45. If you're already set up for reloading .40 and having this much trouble deciding, it probably means that you really want the .45.

I've been puzzled at the instant acceptance the .40 received. It went from newfangled cartridge to ubiquity seemingly overnight.

I'm not putting it down, mind you, but I've never understood what properties it possesses that made it such a superior choice to the .45 ACP, particularly when the .45 is loaded with 230 grain pills.

No opinion on the choice[both,either, neither], but if you go with the .45 you should be able to easily trade the .40 supplies with someone. Both are very popular for reloading.

The FNX line sure seems nice, nice grip. I'm hoping a local range adds one to their rental line-up so I can try one out first.

Either way you decide it won't matter, because...

if you are like most people, you will not stop at having just one gun.

Having only one firearm will seem just plain wrong after a while. You are going to buy another gun sooner or later after your first gun. And if you doubt what I say, then let's see what other folks say. Maybe start a new thread and ask folks how many of them own just one gun and aim to keep it that way? :cool:

BTW I started my collection about two and a half years ago - I've purchased 13 different firearms since then. Nothing in a .40 caliber..not yet anyways.

Of the 2 with the gun type you are considering, I'd say go with the 45. The only thing the 40 has over the 45 is usually capacity. If I am not mistaken though the FNX-45 is a double stack 45 which means you will have more than just the 7 or 8 shots you would in a 1911.

This is completely opinion based though... I am partial to the 45 over the 40, but I prefer 9mm over both, just as a bit of background.

I love both cartridges. When it comes down to brass tacks, neither one has any measurable performance over the other for personal defense with the exception of mag capacity. The level of silliness is astounding when hearing both sides of the argument.

If you're torn, I would pick the .45. I'm only assuming you're not experienced in reloading. If so, I can't stress enough my opinion is learning with .45ACP is far more forgiving of mistakes than .40SW.

You don't have to firewall the 40, Shane. It's still a dandy cartridge as a 850 fps reload. I've been loading range pick-ups at that level for 8 years with good reliability, accuracy & no negatives whatsoever.

Well, one. 40 cases are a lot harder to find in the grass ;)

I ahve the FNP .45 in dark earth. It is probably my favorite gun even though it is a tank and my hands are not that big. The grip looks like it is huge but is amazinglu comfortable and easy to shoot. FN's customer service is amazing to boot. Durring a class I got a bad round (case rupture ) and itblew up in the gun. Mag blew out and decock lever came off but all I felt was a slight sting. Gun still functioned perfectly and when I sent it back for repair FN sent me an entirely new gun and complete new shooters pack with it no charge at all.

"If you are a serious shooter, and it sounds like you are, you'll have a .45 sometime, and a 9, and a carry gun, and a mouse gun, and a couple revolvers, and... "

LegionerBill, You trying to describe me here?;)

.45ACP is my pick.

If you, for whatever reason, have your heart set on the 40 S&W, go for it.

If you get into firearms, you'll probably have several calibers.

If this is your FIRST handgun, don't start with either until you have mastered the fundamentals using .22LR.

45 acp is more pleasant to shoot in most platforms but the 40 S&W is easier to find these days and a little less expensive. Go 40!

Back