First handgun: CC options

Congrats the shield is a fine pistol, my Sunday morning gun. It's very accurate for me. I normally carry a higher capacity double stack myself.

Congratulations on a fine purchase! I carry a P3AT or G43 sometimes. I'm more of a revolver guy, but there's nothing at all wrong with a good autoloader.

Congratulations on the Shield!

The magazines are somewhat notorious for being stiff early on. I've only had my Shield a few months, so I'm still waiting to see if that changes.

I have the 637, Shield and G 43. They all shoot very well. I EDC the G43 but when I feel like something different i carry the 637. I have about 150 rounds threw the Shield and it is a fine piece of equipment. I would even be safe to say it has a better trigger than the G43.

Enjoy it.

Congratulations on the Shield!

The magazines are somewhat notorious for being stiff early on. I've only had my Shield a few months, so I'm still waiting to see if that changes.
I tried a rental Shield at the range and it was tough to get #8 in the magazine on one that had been used many times. So, I bought a Maglula this weekend.

FIRST you have to decide what you want in a concealed carry weapon.
THEN you start the process of vacillating between calibers and weapons choices!

A compact, 5-shot .357 magnum is a mighty good choice. Generally, you're talking 24 ounces for 5 rounds of monster .357 magnum. Very few people hit with the .357 Magnum make it to the Emergency Room....something you might want to consider.

A great many people hit with "generic" brand 9mm rounds arrive in the ER with nothing more than superficial injuries.

YOU DECIDE when it comes to YOUR LIFE!

A higher power has a lot more say in who does and doesn't die or suffer severe injury when shot. Having something is better than nothing and 9mm can more than adequately do the job. Now I do edc a .40 but I can always use my 9mm shield if I need it for a deeper concealment situation, and spare mags very easily go in a back pocket with a very inexpensive nylon mag pouch.

I have a S&W model 36 w/a 1 7/8 barrel, I had a Taurus model 85 SS 2" barrel I bought in the early 90's.
I took the wife out to shoot them both, and asked her which she prefered? she took the 85 :mad:
I've shot about a 1k rounds through the 85 with out any troubles.

For a first carry weapon, a revolver is a good choice.

I've had my Taurus Model 85 for a couple of years now and it's been nothing short of rock solid and surprisingly accurate. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.....especially for the price.

637 airweight .38 spl
a good choice but tough to shoot well without considerable practice. My wife carries one frequently...light, powerful for its size, good ammunition for SD readily available...it about has it all covered. And BTW, the exposed hammer does not hinder her draw/presentation movement. She uses a Galco pocket holster or a OWB open top rig. Equipped with the issue rubber S&W stocks, it's good to go, or refit with a set of Crimson Trace laser's, it fits her hand to perfection. Rod

My first serious CCW was a Glock 19. This was before all the generations. It is a very good pistol. With the revolver you point pull the trigger and fire, with the Glock you have to point pull the trigger and fire up to 15 times. I find Semi autos carry better than revolvers. That is my opinion. I carry IWB with a pocket carry as a backup.

Back