First handgun: CC options

I wouldnt ponder on a charter or a taurus for that matter. For around 400 and usually less one can buy a smith and wesson. How much cheaper can a gun be that you will rely on for self defense? Not to mention resale value. The charter arms and the taurus will be considerably less. Ive paid more for holster systems than those guns are worth used. Im in the buy once cry once camp...to each is own. I myself have a 642, 36, and a model 49 with s xs big dot sight. No, im not rich i just shop and buy used when possible.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I decided to read up on the S&W internal lock discussions. I'm starting to understand why a buddy just said to get a Glock 19 and be done with it.

Internet hype.

Most of that is internet over infatuated bs. Now if your interested in a double stack 9mm your into a whole new discussion of handguns. Its a lot to consider thats for sure.

BTW, All my j frames are lockless. The 642 is currently available in a no lock configuration due to the fact it has no external hammer.

I have always subscribed to the idea that a revolver is the best choice for a first handgun. When you empty the cylinder there is no doubt that it is empty and you can learn all the facets of clearing the gun easily. Revolvers are not as sensitive to cartridge overall length or light loads. Once you learn the basics of handling a gun safely and reloading basics then you are better prepared for the idiosyncrasies of the auto-loaders. You still need a quality gun and I would choose Ruger for its strength and durability over most other choices. I am devoutly against anything S&W - not because their guns are particularly bad but because the corporate leadership folds with any mention of "safety" modifications. When they heard that firing locks were going to be requested they were making pistols with locks while Ruger and others were fighting it in court. When the Ruger crowd won in the courts S&W lost a big chunk of the market they had to those who fought for their customers. I won't ever forget that S&W didn't even consider fighting for their customers. Instead they just caved. They won't get my money until they prove they are willing to fight for me.

I also agree with a revolver as a first gun. They are simple, just pull the trigger and if it doesn't go off just pull the trigger again. There's also no safety to fumble with and when you're in a life or death situation your fight or flight kicks in and your dexterity suffers quite a bit. I don't think anyone mentioned the fact that with the small 9mm guns if you limp wrist it a little bit you will get a jam. A revolver doesn't have this problem. Best of luck to you!

taurus 85 in steel is a fine piece. heavier to absorb recoil. visible hammer allows slower, accurate single action fire. price is right. can be loaded with hot 38+p to soft 38wadcutter. a revolver is politically correct everywhere. easily learned manual of arms. fast reloads with speedloaders. no mags to lose. while you may move on from a revolver, you really cannot lose by starting with one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I do like the look and feel of the Taurus 85. When I started looking 3-4 weeks ago, I was drawn to this revolver because of the price, looks, and positive video reviews I saw on Youtube. I was pretty settled that the 85 would be my first purchase.

However, as I continued to read and view, I started to see all the negatives about Taurus problems and their customer service. At that point, I started looking at other guns and multiple choices.

I know they offered a $40 rebate a few months ago and a lot of these sold at low prices. So, there has to be some folks out there with a recent model 85 that has put a good number of rounds through them.

I have fired a steel 85 with the same ammo as my 642 or a Smith Bodyguard .38 (that is worth looking into as well). The Taurus is more comfortable to shoot and thus more accurate and confident feeling to me. Obviously because of the steel frame. The others can shoot just as well, but just require more practice and tenacity. Certainly alum or poly frame snubs carry better.

My 642 replaced a Kahr CM9 as to me it pocket carries better. The Kahr is a fantastic pistol though. As has been stated it takes more to learn a semi auto pistol as well as can ladies operate the slide? That is what drew my mother to her Bodyguard .38. Don't know if you are or not, but that is a consideration.

The previous suggestion about a Glock 19 is not a bad one if you go that route. No safety, point and pull the trigger just like a revolver. Glock also makes the G26 in 9mm which is a small pistol that doesn't shoot like one, it however doesn't pocket very well. That was the first CC I had and once I figured I need to holster it I moved up to the 19 for capacity. My main carry is the G19 and my main back up is the SW 642. Great for a late night run to the store. Throw it in the pocket and go.

If I only had one pistol, it would be a Glock 19.

It has the perfect size for IWB carry and shootability, it’s reliable, easy to operate, durable, and accurate.

Have you cleaned a revolver & auto ? Auto is much easier , cleaning the cylinders , cylinder face , cone & barrel on a revolver to me its harder . I like the single stack 1911's , compact or full size , easy to conceal an maintain . Some autos need some brake in time , finicky on certain ammo , recoil spring change after a while . Revolvers get end shake & timing problems after awhile . But for most of there life both work pretty good right out of the box . Pick the firearm you like best , someone out there had a good or bad experience with every firearm on the market . Let us know what hand gun you went with & how you like it . Good Luck with your first , it won't be your last believe me . Chris

I would expect with a new gun, I'll probably shoot 3-4 times the first month. After that, once a month at the least, but most likely twice per month. Our city police range is open the first Saturday of the month to the public @ $5 per hour. There is a large public range that is ten minute drive from my workplace with a $10 all day fee. And a public indoor range, 15 minutes away with a $15 per day fee. So, I've got convenient options.

Leaning toward the Shield 9mm as of right now.

nanney1, you said you've shot both the Shield and the 637. How many rounds have you put through the 637? I've noticed when I let people, even experience shooters try my Airweight j-frame, they like the first cylinder. By the 2nd they're starting to think that it kicks, and rarely does anyone go past a 3rd cylinder. Heck, I love shooting my 442 but I rarely go past 50 rounds in a range session before I start to feel it in the meat of my palm.

Just something to think about, because the Shield will probably be more enjoyable to shoot at the range. Personally, I love my revolvers and carry them more than my single stack 9, but I'm not sure an aluminum framed .38sp is the best option for a 1st gun. The Taurus 85 may be better, even with the risk of low quality. Or a S&W 640 or SP101 if you have the funds for something more expensive.

If you stick with the Airweight, I'd recommend the 642 or 638. Those tiny hammers of the 637 can snag, and covering the hammer with your thumb when you draw isn't always practical. I carried a 337 for about a year before putting it in the safe and now I carry a 442 most of the time.

The day I shot both the 637 and the Shield, I had a 50 round box each of .38 and 9mm. I started with the 637 and shot 25 rounds between 3 and 10 yards, then switched to a Taurus 82 with a longer barrel and shot the remaining 25 rounds. Then I got the Shield and shot all 50 rounds with it. I didn't have any problem with recoil and my hand didn't hurt afterwards. My thumbs were tired from loading the 9mm rounds in the Shield's magazine.

I made my decision this morning and ordered the Shield.

nanney1
Makes life easier , never used one only load 5 at a time , keep one magazine fully loaded for carry , three mags for shooting . Next you'll be reloading , I enjoy reloading as much as shoot , you can custom a load mild for practice . Great hobby , keep us informed . Chris

I have owned two Taurus 85's. They have both been great.

I carry my LCR more often, though, due to its light weight.

For a new CC, I would recommend a revolver every time. I am too lazy to go into a whole page of reasons.

Whether it is a revolver or a semi-auto, I always carry something that's pretty much DAO with no safety.

tallball: I would have gone revolver with S&W .38 spl., but the Shield was less costwise. S&W 442 will probably be next purchase.

tallball
I use to carry a S&W mod. 36 Chief snubnose 38 SPL., now a Colt New Agent 1911 3" is what's with me most of the time in 45 ACP.

Back