First Frightening Experience

Yes, sorry, my reply goes seriously close to hijacking the OP's thread. But yes, my understanding of the Texas law is that I may have a loaded pistol concealed in the automobile. However, it can't be accessible to kids... and all other rules.

Markj,

Sure times have absolutely changed. The fact of the matter is the op called out to the person on the other side of the door and they didn't respond. That, coupled with his constant looking away from the door would have put me on edge too. If his intentions were good, why not answer?

Maybe he didn't mean any harm. Maybe he did. Until all the facts are in I think its better to err on the side of caution.

And to the op, let me be another to drive this point home: when you get home put the gun on your belt and leave it there til you go to bed.

I don't answer or unlock the door even if its a cop just to stay in my comfort zone which is in my house. If someone pretends to be a authority figure and you feel something strange at all. Get your cell phone and tell the police there is someone you don't know in front or walking somewhere around your home. Criminals might try also to break in by convincing you to open the door. They have all kinds of ways like using other people like women to look lost and scared or a fake injury so you open the door. I think crooks break in when they feel a unlocked door and are very sure you are gone plus they don't want to really hurt anyone at all costs but they will though. They want your stuff. I doubt a smart crook would carry any weapons either. It would slow them down and if they get caught with their weapons they are in for some big prison time.

He was probably ringing your doorbell and looking towards the street for a reason.If you didn't respond,your door would have most likely been kicked in.The reason he was looking towards the street was to observe if he was being watched by a neighbor.

Not exactly on topic with the OP, but am I to take it that you don't need a concealed carry permit to carry a loaded gun in your car in some states?
The highway patrol can't like that.

Yes although some states limit where in the car it can be. Here in AZ no permit is necessary for carry (open or concealed) and HP seems to get by just fine.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I cant belive the fear I see here, someone knocks on the door and panic ensues?

I don't think this qualifies as panic - panic would be shooting the guy through the door:confused:

He was probably ringing your doorbell and looking towards the street for a reason.If you didn't respond,your door would have most likely been kicked in.The reason he was looking towards the street was to observe if he was being watched by a neighbor.

I agree. If for some reason I needed to knock on a strangers door, I always make sure that my smiling face is the first thing they see, I also stand a bit back from the door - unspoken signs that tend to show that I mean no harm

Not to continue a thread hijack - we've pretty much answered the OP.

So - whenever, someone tells me that they don't have a permit or have a 'car' gun (instead of carry) - it reminds me of the utility of Dr. Gratia-Hupp's 'car' gun. Did a lot of good and thus she fought for the CHL law.

I cant belive the fear I see here, someone knocks on the door and panic ensues?

This isnt about a person simply knocking at the door. Its about how your instincts warn you of something that is amiss. What we sense is not always so easy to put into words when it about feeling or visual perception. I think that this post boils down to the fact that the fellow who was at the door, behaved oddly under the circumstances. We dont live in 1950's Mayberry anymore and when someone who knocks at the door does not act normal.. its certainly a possibility that bad thing are afoot.

In my town there is a alley that runs between a pizza place and a movie theater... As a teen in the late 70's I would always cut through the alley when going over to the movie theater. One night as I walked about 15 feet into the alley, i stopped. Something didnt feel right and it wasnt anything that I could put my finger on. Purhaps it was an absense of something, absense of sound maybe. It seemed oddly quiet but I wasnt sure it was even that at all, just a feeling. I had a am/fm radio to my head and couldnt really hear anyway but I stood there a few seconds more then turned and walked the long way aound. Later that night ( in the alley) a guy was robbed of his wallet and jacket by a unknown male that was never found. A rather dim light that was normally on all night- above the rear door of the pizza place was broken and thats where the robbery occured. I think the added darkenss was what I picked up on but it didnt really register due to it being such a subtle difference. I could have just shrugged my shoulders and walked down the alley but I didnt. I followed my gut instinct about the situation and didnt try to convince myself otherwise.

The moral of this story is that when and if your gut tells you something is wrong... its very likely it is.

Last edited:
For whatever its worth, Tennessee has a law that if a person uses a gun in self defense, no crime has occurred.

A man was going to his bank in Memphis recently when a bank robber emerged, running towards this man as he was getting out of his car, and pointing a gun at the man. He drew a .357 Magnum from his car and shot the bank robber grave yard dead. The bank customer had no carry permit, but as the shooting was ruled self defense, no charges were filed against the man.

But the man was a convicted felon, and was charged by Federal laws.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright said:
For whatever its worth, Tennessee has a law that if a person uses a gun in self defense, no crime has occurred....
Please provide a citation to the actual law. I doubt that is strictly accurate.

cornroll is a hair style worn, generally by blacks. So called becuase of the way thee haur is put out into rolls and usaully finished iff with a bead/beads.

Good idea to be wary of people behaving oddly at your door...
...the whole going back somewhere to lock a door is poor planning though. Unless you are using a door to go in and out for something, it should be closed and locked, IMO.

I believe Bob may be refering to the Safe Harbor clause in the T.C.A. I don't know the annotated line provision but basically allows the user of a firearm or other weapon by an otherwise restricted situation to refrain from being charged for its use if it was used for the safety and wellbeing of the community(at a state level); however if you are caught carrying in a restricted area and not actively using your firearm you still face charges for unlawful possession of a weapon. I'll see if I can find it after I have my coffee :D.

*Edited* TCA 39-17-1322

Last edited:
Call the police first and stay on the line. It documents that you were trying to do the right thing and may be in fear of your life.

Gramps might get there first but he isn't paid to get shot for you despite that he might want to save you.

You get the gun and hunker down. Tell the law you are scared about an ongoing break-in.

You have no idea how it will go down with Gramps. Maybe he gets shot, maybe he shoots the wrong guy. Let the law do that.

+1 w/ GEM

lol @ Mark J

Miami, FL..we have a ton of home invasions here. They knock...wait, no answer. You have a B & E, home invasion, robbery, and God forbid anyone is home.

Crazy coming up? No...but my gun is on me 24/7 when I'm home. I stay in jeans perfectly comfortable all day long until I sleep. Mowing the law, gun at 4:00, bathroom it's with me, shower it sits on the toilet. Always on my person no matter where I am at home. When I sleep my G21 comes out and sits on my night stand. That is if I don't just keep my CCW on the night watch.

You did ok..911 is your best bet on the record. If he had done something somewhere else. You had a description and possibly in the same area. Maybe someone else called cause he knocked. Never know.

Finally...maybe he just wanted sugar? :p

Back