First firing of CZ 457 jaguar

Here's a batch of 32 gr CURX solids loaded using AA7. I hand-loaded these--meaning truly by hand; no dies at all, I simply used a .223 seating stem and pressed the bullet down into the case (not a perfect solution since you can see a slight ring on the bullet). Cutting Edge has machined the bullets perfectly, when you maneuver them around so that they are concentric to the mouth they pop in with very low resistance to the perfect depth at the crimp area and the COL just fits into a conventional 22lr magazine (the bigger 42 and 50 grain CURX bullets won't). Look forward to trying them out soon.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5219.jpg
    IMG_5219.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 125
the 457 does appear to have one glaring fatal flaw IMO--which is it appears the only way you can get a magazine for one is to buy a complete rifle.
Really? There was an outdoor range in Manasass that I used to shoot at frequently when I lived in DC many years ago, forget the name of it
Not sure how long ago that was, but things have changed a lot since I moved here in 2002. There is a shotgun range, but the dense population here precludes anything high power outdoors within at least 40 miles of the city. I believe I read somewhere that NOVA has gained about 1.5 million people since I’ve moved here. Pretty much the definition of urban sprawl.

Can't remember the exact location--more or less if you took the exit and headed south (used to be a Harley Davidson place there, bought an xlh 1200 there) and went a few miles out of town it was on the right. I liked going there because they were an HK dealership. I heard there was trouble there over the years (which doesn't surprise me) so I guess they must have closed it down. Colorful place, saw gang members, cartel drug-runners, law enforcement, military, rural hillbillies and urban tacticool wannabes all mixed up together with some interesting weapons (and behavior). Range master walked around with a 44 mag revolver pretending to be Wyatt Earp. I think he ended up either shooting someone (or being shot, or maybe both).

Last edited:
The only exit leading south to an HD shop would be 28S in Centerville off I66W. That would take you all the way through Manassas Park and Manassas. The HD dealer is right in the heart of Old Town now and has been there as long as I’ve been here. Of course this whole area is pretty much dense housing now. Things change pretty fast around here. Pretty much everything within a 2 hour drive of the city is commuting distance and full of houses and people.

The only exit leading south to an HD shop would be 28S in Centerville off I66W. That would take you all the way through Manassas Park and Manassas. The HD dealer is right in the heart of Old Town now and has been there as long as I’ve been here. Of course this whole area is pretty much dense housing now. Things change pretty fast around here. Pretty much everything within a 2 hour drive of the city is commuting distance and full of houses and people.
One reason I left DC, my home town. Great place to make money in the rat race, but I finally had enough and moved to Maine to get away from it all. But now it's catching up even here, at least the free-for-all make as much money as you can off the tourism business. I've lived out west--but most of it is too hot and I hate heat--or the nice areas that aren't are very expensive. I'm going to guess by your handle and location you work at IAD.

I think the range was called something like Clark's guns (?). Ah--just googled it--it's called Clark Brothers and they are in Warrenton (my memory is a bit fuzzy as this would have been back in the early 1980's). My shooting buddy and I went there as it was pretty much the closest place to DC where you could shoot almost anything. He had some great HK rifles and Clark's ws a dealer for them. My buddy ended up being murdered in DC.

Last edited:
Actually I’ve been working at the Manassas airport for the last 16 years. I started out working for one company and ran their interior department for ten years. Then they sold out to a defense contractor that builds and maintains a fleet of super secret spy planes. From there I moved acros the apron to another company that basically took over the former repair stations clients, and I subcontracted with them to finish some leftover projects. Once they saw what I could do and the money I could bring in they took me and my staff on full time. After about six months I ran out of work and they had a hard time generating any work for me, and basically they paid me for another year or so to do odd jobs before shutting down the interior shop. At this point I was so close to retirement I just said to heck with it. Then through connections a man I’d known for a long time, and a good customer let me set up a small one man shop in a climate controlled store room in his hangar. He’s an airplane broker and whenever he gets a plane that needs some sprucing up to enhance the value and sell ability of a customers plane he brings me in and I deal with the customer. I pay no rent and make a fair amount of money and barely work part time to supplement my retirement so it’s a pretty sweet deal. Plus any other stuff that comes in on my own I can do without any problems.

One reason I left DC, my home town. Great place to make money in the rat race, but I finally had enough and moved to Maine to get away from it all. But now it's catching up even here, at least the free-for-all make as much money as you can off the tourism business. I've lived out west--but most of it is too hot and I hate heat--or the nice areas that aren't are very expensive. I'm going to guess by your handle and location you work at IAD.

I think the range was called something like Clark's guns (?).
If you want to get away from people and don’t mind long harsh winters, you should look at North Dakota. I’m originally from there, moved to NOVA at age 48 and other than the winter, I miss it a lot. I’m going home in a couple weeks to spend some time reconnecting with family and friends so pretty excited for that. Hoping to shoot some gophers and just mess around in general.

If you want to get away from people and don’t mind long harsh winters, you should look at North Dakota. I’m originally from there, moved to NOVA at age 48 and other than the winter, I miss it a lot. I’m going home in a couple weeks to spend some time reconnecting with family and friends so pretty excited for that. Hoping to shoot some gophers and just mess around in general.
Winter lasts 5 to 6 months here, though climate change has rendered them not nearly as severe as they used to be. This past winter here is the first one ever that I can remember that did not have a noreaster blizzard. Enjoy the wild!

I pay no rent and make a fair amount of money and barely work part time to supplement my retirement so it’s a pretty sweet deal. Plus any other stuff that comes in on my own I can do without any problems.
As a kid I spent a lot of time back-packing in the Appalachians and mountains in the surrounding states, back in the 60's and 70's they were still wild enough I ran into all kinds of wildlife all the time. Much of that I know is gone. I totally get sticking on for good retirement supplement; my social security doesn't meet even half of my monthly expenses, I'll have to work until the day the day I check out for that one way trip.

I put my Lilja fast twist barrel back on and have been shooting it quite a bit, it's an excellent barrel and very accurate--BUT I still haven't found any factory ammo or reloads that it can outshoot the stock CZ jaguar barrel with.

Back