First firing of CZ 457 jaguar

Well that escalated quickly

The thread isn't even two weeks old and its gone from box stock cz457 to a whole 'nother rifle, I love it.
It just sorta happened all by itself, honest.:D

I just took a look at the Lilja bore with my Hawkeye--the CZ bore finishing is excellent--but the Lilja is a masterpiece earning an acid reflux rating of nearly zero!

stagpanther: I mean this in a joking manner.

You provide me a fair amount of amusement on these forums. I've started thinking of you as the SQUIRREL! guy :D

I get a kick out of how enthusiastically you pursue each new project.

stagpanther: I mean this in a joking manner.

You provide me a fair amount of amusement on these forums. I've started thinking of you as the SQUIRREL! guy
I've been called worse--no worries. LOL I just love to shoot. that's my primary reason and I'm sticking to it.:D

But wait...there's more (42 gr CURX)!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5203.jpg
    IMG_5203.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_5204.jpg
    IMG_5204.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
The 42 gr CURX has to be hand fed as it vastly exceeds the typical 22LR length. Didn't think about that. :rolleyes: I decided to reunite the original CZ barrel to see if there was really that much difference, so far I can't tell but I still can't get the (un)stable table from moving--I swear I can see my heartbeat through the reticle. The day I get that figured out I will sweep all the top row targets in RG's contest.:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5207 2.jpg
    IMG_5207 2.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_5214.jpg
    IMG_5214.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 699
I always see my heartbeat through the reticle, makes for about a 3/4 MOA constant shifting to contend with. The doc says I have a very strong heart beat which is also why I’ve always been so shaky. This runs in my family, all my brothers were the same. For me it’s all about timing and a fast but steady trigger pull. Between this and my fuzzy eyesight it’s a wonder I can ever shoot anything, but I do still have some pretty good days. Oh by the way Stag, that’s some pretty good shooting, I’m still contemplating giving this challenge a whirl.

I always see my heartbeat through the reticle, makes for about a 3/4 MOA constant shifting to contend with. The doc says I have a very strong heart beat which is also why I’ve always been so shaky. This runs in my family, all my brothers were the same. For me it’s all about timing and a fast but steady trigger pull. Between this and my fuzzy eyesight it’s a wonder I can ever shoot anything, but I do still have some pretty good days. Oh by the way Stag, that’s some pretty good shooting, I’m still contemplating giving this challenge a whirl.
Thnx--Pretty maddening that's for sure. The contest really is a blast, but I've become obsessed with getting that top row! The side benefit is that my consumption rate of primers has slowed down considerably.:) I now have 6,000 primed cases from Fed Arm and a bullet mold--so my zombie apocalypse reload component well running dry phobia has eased considerably.

An interesting observation--though the CZ and Lilja barrels are completely different barrels made of different materials, different twist rates and different lengths--the RWS R 50 is the the most accurate out of both of them.

Last edited:
I’m still in pretty good shape, a little over 40,000 primers in stock and around 8000 loaded rounds. I also have tons of brass and around 10,000 projectiles. So all in all I’m good for a couple years or more at the rate I shoot. I also have about 6000 .22RF on hand to play with too. And then there’s my SHTF stash, nah, just kidding.

I’m still in pretty good shape, a little over 40,000 primers in stock and around 8000 loaded rounds. I also have tons of brass and around 10,000 projectiles. So all in all I’m good for a couple years or more at the rate I shoot. I also have about 6000 .22RF on hand to play with too. And then there’s my SHTF stash, nah, just kidding.
It has taken discipline and planning to cut back on my rate of shooting in order to preserve my primers, but there's the trade-off of staying proficient.

Yeah proficiency has taken a beating. I shoot at an indoor range and literally stayed away for a whole year, which sure helped save on components, but other than my CZ75B SA and my slicked up GP100 my handgun shooting is pretty marginal. Rifle wise I definitely need some range time, I finally shot my AR15 yesterday and yikes, I was barely 2MOA on my best ten round group.

tips on heartbeat

a few years back when I first got into long range after a match I was looking at one of my targets. It looked like I had aimed at two different bullseyes. Seven or eight shots were on each side of the 10 ring with the remaining 5 or 6 in the 10/X. One of the old timers who was mentoring me told me that it was my heartbeat.

There a few techniques to help you overcome this. For a low recoil rifle minimize the contact your body has with the rifle. For my F open rifles I use a free recoil technique. I just pinch the trigger with only my thumb on the trigger guard, my forefinger on the trigger and my cheek barely touching the comb. That works ok for a 16 pound 6 BR, not so well for a 10 pound 30 Major or .308. Other "cheats" would be a padded shoulder shooting jacket or just a pad between the stock and the shoulder. You should also keep the inside of the right arm (brachial artery) from touching the stock.

Then there is the physical aspect. Breath control = heartbeat control. Breathing techniques.

Take a couple of long deep breaths, then let it. Don’t force it all out, but just let your chest sort of deflate. You don’t hold your breath so much as you just don’t take in another breath. At the same time contract the abdominal muscles and squeeze the trigger. That will actually cause the heart to pause for a second

excellent book on the mental aspect of shooting, costs less than a box of good ammo

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OUYHAIW/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Last edited:
I’ve tried about every technique out there and pretty much the only thing that works for me to settle my heartbeat is sort of contrary, I’ve found actually holding my breath helps. I think at least in my case it isn’t so much that this settles my pulse a lot as much as it helps my mind just focus on the timing aspect of the scope movement and a fast but steady trigger pull. I know it’s a weird style but it’s more of a mind thing than an actual physical technique. I first learned this mind type technique as a kid shooting archery. It was all about the ‘sight picture’ and a smooth timed release. In other words, when everything feels just right make the shot.

and a fast but steady trigger pull.
Funny you mention it, I've experimented with that as well. I generally do a smooth progressive pull to the "surprise" break if I can, but sometimes will use the firm foreend hold and slight pull in since that works very well for me when shooting high recoil rifles. POI can shift significantly when changing triggerpull styles.

Hounddawg is absolutely right about minimizing bodily contact with the rifle--I've noticed my (un)stable table will move even if I have minimal contact with it.

hounddawg takes no credit for free recoil, been around for ages. Just don't try it on your hunting rifle. Scoped myself first time I used it on my BR rifle, 30 Majors have a bit of recoil.

Anyway nice looking rifle, I skipped to the end of this yesterday and did not notice all the mods. Glad you have .22 fever, I give my CZ 452's full credit for taking me from Sharpshooter to Master in 6 months after I had plateaued at Sharpshooter for 2 years. Hundreds of boxes of ammo died for that cause. I practiced my signature. Jerry don't lie. I am still working on that last .1-.2% for HM so thanks Stag for getting me back to practice.

If you want to clean that top row on the challenge practice on windy days and make some windflags. At least three for 50 yards and four or five for 100 and start shooting over them. Driveway poles and boundary tape works fine

Last edited:
If you want to clean that top row on the challenge practice on windy days and make some windflags.
I always shoot outside year-round--even in wind, rain, snow etc. mostly because I'm interested in developing loads that work well in a wide variety of conditions. Where I live on an island in the North Atlantic it is almost never calm, but trees provide some help in breaking surface winds--but also add random turbulence. I love it!:D

I'm waiting for a new higher-precision depth gauge to come in before I reinstall the Lilja barrel, it started leaving some cases behind in the chamber after firing and I strongly suspect the headspace was a bit long. I'm learning that getting the headspace tolerance accurately set is even more important in rimfire than in a typical non-rimfire cartridge.

Last edited:
Where I live on an island in the North Atlantic it is almost never calm, but trees provide some help in breaking surface winds--but also add random turbulence. I love it!

problem is if you ever shoot in normal conditions you will be hosed :D:D:D:D

ex Navy here so I know had some experience with those N Atlantic winds

I’m spoiled, the only place I shoot is an indoor 100 yd range, I have no access for outdoor shooting. It’s an extremely nice facility called Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas, VA. I did shoot at the outdoor range at the Marine Corp base at Quantico for a couple of summers which was fun but I don’t go anymore due to time limits.

the 457 does appear to have one glaring fatal flaw IMO--which is it appears the only way you can get a magazine for one is to buy a complete rifle.
I’m spoiled, the only place I shoot is an indoor 100 yd range, I have no access for outdoor shooting.
Really? There was an outdoor range in Manasass that I used to shoot at frequently when I lived in DC many years ago, forget the name of it

Back