First DA/SA Pistol

I've had several over the years... a Beretta 92, which I later sold, my deceased Father's East German Makarov, my Smith & Wesson 410, and my S&W 4506.

I'm OK with the action, but I'm at heart a revolver shooter, so I actually wouldn't mind getting a DAO semi-auto.

I'm a big advocate for the use of DA/SA pistols for self-defense-but a caveat is that's how I was trained. Many fine pistols have been recommended and I have a few that were cited, including an H&K USP40, a Beretta 92, a CZ 85B, a couple of SIGs (models 226 and 227) and a couple of Smith&Wesson "Third Generation" autos (models 6906 and 4006). I like them all but if I had to pick only one to have, after much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, it would be the Smith Model 4006.

Personally I'm not a big fan of recommending DA/SA semi-autos for carry as most folks don't bother to put in the effort, time, and cost of mastering the trigger.

While the Glock-style trigger on many striker-fired guns is very simple, I think concerns about mastering different trigger pulls for DA/SA is largely overblown. Considering the time it takes for anyone to become proficient with whatever they carry, I think that's enough time to master the two trigger pulls. I actually think hammer-fired DA/SA are ideal for carry. The initial DA pull is more resistant to accidental pressure and the hammer offers direct feedback for trigger position when holstering.

That said, I think either the simple striker trigger or the DA/SA without a manual safety is simpler, easier, and more reliable than any gun with a manual safety. Forgetting or fumbling with a manual safety isn't a theoretical concern. It can and does happen in stressful situations.

As someone that has shot both extensively, to me DA/SA takes both more time to build proficiency and more practice to maintain proficiency than a Glock style "safe-action" trigger. Now a lot of that practice can be through dry fire.

I'd suggest a used SIG or HK. In my experience most people that own them tend to take good care of them and what you get is often very lightly used. Given you're not sure what you do or don't want buying used also saves you money lost on resale.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Some of my favorite DA/SA pistols are the 3rd Gen Smith & Wessons. Well built, and there are some good deals out there in police trade in pistols.

WG

I like the 3rd Gen Smiths. What I will say is the factory stopped supporting them, and finding parts and magazines for them is a lot harder than even a few years ago. It will likely outrun you regardless, just putting that out there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I had a Sig 226 9mm but could not master the DA/SA trigger, so I sold it. I have mostly guns with DAO trigger, e.g. Walther PPQ, M&P C.O.R.E., Sig 320

I can’t recommend enough the red headed step child of the da/sa guns the fnx. I got a fnx 9, I’ve had it for about 6 years and have over 6000 rounds thru it. In that time period I’ve had no issues with it whatsoever and have competed with it often. The trigger while not the greatest is perfectly suitable for most tasks. The only snag may be that for some the texturing may be to aggressive. It does not bother me but ymmv. As an added bonus the gun is incredibly light, around 22 ounces unloaded.

FNH FNX 45, 40 and 9. Top notch as I have approx. 3500 no problem rounds through my 40 and 45 and have a 9mm and 357 Sig barrels and mags for the 40.

I also have Bersa Thunder UC Pro weapons in 9mm and 45 acp. The Bersas, were cheaper, but their quality is way above what some folks think of them. Each of mine has over 3,000 rounds through them with only the 45 having me to replace the magazine catch/release.

Short answer from my experience: the Sig SP2022 is a great pistol, great value, and great size to be both a range toy and a carry gun.

I've owned two P226's and got rid of both, but kept the SP2022. Nice having the frame decocker, much more convenient location than the slide.

My second pick is the FN FNP-9. However, that's out of production but the updated version, the FNX, is out there as well.

Tha is for the responses everyone. Oddly enough, I currently have a Sig P320 and I think I may just buy another one of those in a different caliber. I love the P 320 platform.

I’ve owned pretty much all the well-known DA/SA guns from H&K, Sig, Beretta, Walter, CZ, etc.

The best is the CZ P-01.

Also been experimenting a lot with the H&K P30sk as a carry piece and it works well. It’s not a CZ... but it’s got potential.

love me some DA/SA

YOri6Xs.jpg

jzpOFUU.jpg

qRLxIm4.jpg

ID1E4yt.jpg

dqHydwV.jpg

My CZ 'PCR' (75D) and 1994 Sig P228 are the carry guns most of the year, IWB at 9:00.
My first P228, also a '94 is too pristine to shoot very often, which motivated me to buy a second P228.

All-metal, DA/SA guns for me with very good triggers. I even jog with any of them, every time I run (only the Makarov in the summer). What's the problem with a little extra weight?

On the hotter/more humid summer days, my DA/SA .380 Russian Makarov is easier to conceal under a single t-shirt, but I also don't want to expose those other guns to much steamy sweat.

Last edited:
The one gripe I have about trying to find a good da/sa gun is lack of availability in a micro or very compact 9mm. If anyone knows of any, please list them!!!

The one gripe I have about trying to find a good da/sa gun is lack of availability in a micro or very compact 9mm. If anyone knows of any, please list them!!!
IMO you may want to edit your post to more specific dimensions on what you are looking for. The smallest thin single stack DA/SA I know of is the Springfield XD-E though it is the same height and heavier than the Glock 19. There are shorter DA/SA double stack pistols like the HK P30SK but it is chunky like most double stacks. With striker fired pistols dominating the market they way they are in that category at extremely competitive pricing it just seems that manufacturers don't want to invest on smaller/thinner/lighter DA/SA pistols and I can't blame them as the design of the DA/SA hammer fired pistol has distinct disadvantages compared to striker fired pistol in that category especially with height/bore axis and weight.

MO you may want to edit your post to more specific dimensions on what you are looking for

When I say "Micro 9mm", the dimensions would be similar to:
Boberg XR9-S
Diamondback DB9
Rohrbaugh R9
Kimber Micro 9mm

Back