first attempt at long-range shooting

Put a waypoint at your firing point and get a distance/direction from where you set your target.On my GPS,it has a "Man overboard" command.The GPS will give you continuous distance/direction to the MOB.

Last edited:
found a great rangefinder app for andriod, actually made for golfing, but very easy to use and very accurate, called simply GPS rangefinder, not sure if you can see the target, just left of the right electrial tower way up on the hill, the bare spot with no grass

so i made a target, about 2 feet wide and 4 feet tall and put it out at 600, staying level with elevation

when i finally figured out how to get sighted in, i was out of ammo and the wind was ferocious, but boy was i happy to see some punches on this target, you can see one on the paper, one above, 5 under it, one though the stick, a couple n the rocks and a few in the cardboard on the left and right side

now that i know where i am at, ill be able to refine my grouping next time
had ALOT of fun today, and next week you should see some impressive 600yard grouping from a sub 500$ ar with a sub 100$ scope(fingers crossed)

Keep in mind shooting LR with an AR, the best solution is to use a single shot follower in your magazine, and single load. The best bullets (Sierra 80 gr Matchking, Hornady 75 AMAX, JLK and Berger VLDs), for the task are too long to be loaded to magazine length.

Unfortunately LRP magazines are no longer available, as I understand it DPMS bought the design, then discontinued them.

yeah i learned that quickly, i have plenty of room in the chamber to have a much longer OAL, but its all good, i wont be doing single shot because i would like to do a highpower type shooting, i was looking for longer magazines w/o sucess, i am using the 77gr smk and the powder gets pretty crunchy in there

i was looking for longer magazines w/o sucess,

They are nice, too bad DPMS ruined it. I got mine before DPMS bought the design, they work very well. 75 AMAX, ~2.43" OAL, standard mag on the left, LRP on the right:

lrp.jpg

You need to change the bolt stop, and you can't use standard mags any more, but for a more precision gun, it never bothered me.

RE: "Highpower type shooting" not sure if you mean CMP type service rifle or NRA match rifle type shooting, but if so, single loading is a non issue. The long range bits are shot slow fire anyway, you load between shots. You only shoot from a magazine on rapid stages, which are 200 and 300 yards.

Back when I was shooting regularly, the AR shooters had 2 loads, one for 200 and 300 yards which would run through a magazine, usually with either 69 or 77gr SMKs, and a 600 yard load with 80gr SMKs to be fed singly.

yeah, thatd be really nice to have, ill try to track one down someday, i have the 77gr smk OAL 2,278 and the are riding the plastic, ive thought about taking a dremel to the inside to get another hundreth or so, but ill deal with what i have, they seem ok, and i dont have time to order anything before my next shoot, but thanks for the tip for the future

ill be back out on sunday or tuesday and find out how tight i can get it at 600 with the oal i have, not going for perfection yet, this is my first time doing anything over 300 yards

UPDATE!!!

hey guys, just wanted to give an update. the 600 yard shoot was today and I had a blast. there was no winners and losers, but if we had to pick one, it would be the guy shooting the .308 (of course). but all in all, everyone did a great job, someone even busted out he 91/30 and the even shorter m44, lets say his groups were less than remarkable, but then he told me he was using steel core surplus ammo, so that actually makes it amazing. I was just happy my little 16in barrel kept it on the paper and that my ballistic chart was accurate. I guess I put about 70-80 rounds downrange and got maybe a dozen x-rings(3 in a row at one point), and alot of 10's 9's and 8's. and of course several flyers. I was thoroughly impressed by the gun and the 77gr SMKs. I loaded them to 2.278 on top f IMR4064 22.6gr. my ammo was just slightly too big for the magazine, so I had a few issues with the rounds bunching up and getting stuck. if you havent tried to do a 600 or even farther shoot, go ahead and try, not as hard as you think.
thanks everyone
and thanks FTRPilot for the invite to your world-class facilities

Last edited:
Shooting 600 yards is a blast...however, it is not all shooting. There is a lot of planning, preparation, study, learning, raising the range flags, setting up targets, setting up the firing line, shooting, scoring targets (pit duty), storing targets, pit clean-up, lower the range flags, firing line clean-up...
for the small amount of actual shooting, it is all worth it.

Here is a picture of one of the shooters scoring one of the shots. Guess who?

attachment.php

Without a doubt, skizzums did great.

FtrPilot

Attachments

• PitDuty_sm.jpg
    PitDuty_sm.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 31
Back