Firing two handguns at once...

When I was a Wing Firearms Training Officer in the USAF many years ago, I did a little exhibition stuff just for fun. Using 2 S&W M-15s, I set two targets up at 25’, about 10’ apart and shot them simultaneously.
There are probably several different ways to do it, but here’s the one I used:
Get both guns more-or-less lined up.
Align the sights on one gun.
Look to the other gun and align those sights.
Look back to the 1st gun. The sights will have wandered, so get them lined up again.
Keep doing that, switching from one gun to the other until you do the switch and the sights on the one you just switched to are still aligned.
Fire both guns immediately.
On a standard NRA 25 yd target, I could always keep them in the black and usually inside the 8 ring. Trigger control and follow-through are key. If you yank a trigger, you’re screwed.
Getting both guns to fire at the same time was, for some reason, never a problem.

I can do either hand fairly well, probably because I always shoot one handed and I can alternate but not both together.

Point shooting was discussed in an article in the latest issue of "Guns & Ammo". I seem to recall it was authored by SGM Lamb (Retired). It is hard to do with one handgun not to mention two as discussed here. It takes a lot of practice for consistency. This is what was discussed in the article.

What that article did not address and what is not addressed so far here is doing it with a laser device on each handgun such as Crimson Trace. I think it could be done with these devices either on one target or even two targets simultaneous with a laser device if they are zeroed in.

One of my first guns was a K-22. I fired that a lot and got good enough at what is now called "point shooting" to bounce cans at 25 feet or so. In fact, I darn near wore that gun out to the point that I sent it back to the factory (through my dealer) for repair. S&W asked the dealer if I wanted it reblued at a cost of $17.50. I said yes, and got the gun back a couple of weeks later.

They had totally rebuilt that gun, with everything new except the frame, stocks, and barrel. The cylinder and all the internal parts were new. And it had been reblued to factory spec.

I thought that was a fair price.

Jim

My favorite was two Glock 26's with 33 rd happy sticks in them. Something about 68 rounds with no reload makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I agree that simultaneously firing both is nigh on impossible. But point shooting even at multiple targets isn't too bad.

I have done it while running and it works for me right to left, especially inside of 7 yards. But left to right I keep wanting to bring my hands up for a two handed grip.

I think you should run it dry first and then only with 2-3 rounds in each mag until you are comfortable with the technique.

Practicing with air soft is advisable first. This is a fairly complex physical skill and a trip, slip or stumble can create new body orifi you don't want.

But it is really satisfying after dumping 68 rounds non stop and watching the dust roll away.

I sold one of those and gave the other away,down to one Glock now. I still love those 33 rounders though.

Well, point-shooting is a different subject. ...And one that I believe I'm fairly skilled at.

...But typically only with rifles (I'm much more of a rifleman than a handgunner). And, even then, I do best with the underdog: my 1980's vintage Rossi 62SAC 'Gallery'. I love that short little carbine. My brothers and I have put probably 90k+ rounds through that thing. It's like an accurate, warm, and familiar Energizer bunny....
I may not hit with every shot, but I honestly believe I've put more rounds through that little carbine from the hip, than I have with it shouldered. Last time I had it out, I went 13 out of 14 from the hip, on an aluminum beer bottle. :D

Ask me to do the same thing with pretty much any handgun but my Buckmark or P95, and we'll all have a good laugh at the results. ;)
Even with the Buckmark and P95, the results would not be as good.

When I made my comments about using two guns at once, I never thought about shooting at two targets at the same time.

I think everyone who thinks it is impossible should immediately go to CAS or SASS event.

Double Duelist, or Gunfighter style two-gun, just takes practice.
It helps if you are ambidexterous...but the main thing is Practice.

Back