Firing two handguns at once...

ATN082268

I have seen it in Hollywood a million times but how viable is it to fire at the same time, for example, two Glock 19 handguns at a man sized target about 10 yards away?

Just like anything else you have to train for it and practice to be able to aim with each eye. Cowboy Action has a class that requires you to shoot alternating fire using two guns one in each hand.

Whether there's a good reason to do it or not is beside the point but it's an interesting thing to try now and then. I'm not sure if it counts as trick shooting or not. It isn't that difficult.

I would even go so far to say that it's easier than shooting with your off hand, which for most people is the left hand. I only tried it when I had two identical revolvers, though. It might otherwise be less rewarding as far as hits on the target are concerned. When shooting with the left hand, it's like the hand doesn't know quite what to do but when doing the same thing with both hands, the problem almost goes away.

However, because I never had a two-gun rig, it was mostly just something novel to do. I never tried it with two automatics nor with very powerful cartridges.

I tried alternating fire with two blackpowder Ruger Old Army's, once at our pistol range --- It causes a lot of smoke.:D

I have seen it in Hollywood a million times but how viable is it to fire at the same time, for example, two Glock 19 handguns at a man sized target about 10 yards away?
In Hollywood, they also do it while running or jumping over a counter.

One thing to consider is you can't sight down both guns at the same time.

Take just one handgun, hold it in your strong hand, out at about shoulder height and try to hit a target room distance away focusing on the target and not looking at the sights. See how well you do.

Now try it with your off hand.

Once you can do both of those well, you can think about trying two guns at once.

Ed McGivern(sp) I think was a master at this.
If you're talking about firing both guns simultaneously, it requires extreme coordination. I used to sort of make it work with a pair of Ruger 22lr semi-autos but seldom got it right with DA revolvers-too many variables with the trigger break. Considering that I'm at about 75% as good shooting lefty as righty(my dominant hand), this is fairly good. If you're at 50% or less, it's going to be seriously more difficult.

I've never tried it and don't suspect I will. From a self-defense standpoint I think it certainly makes sense to practice shooting one-handed with both the dominant and non-dominant hands. But shooting two pistols simultaneously when it counted would, I think, be insane.

If I had both hands functional and free and was not shooting from around an obstacle that precluded use of both hands, I would always use a two-handed grip and be able to sight properly.

I would think it would have a lot to do with how you shoot and how you practice.

If youre aiming using the sights and shoot alternately, you probably wouldnt do to bad, especially if youre used to shooting with your weak hand. Using the sights would allow you to, for lack of a better term, "flail" your arms while you shoot, and still have an index, and on targets in different directions.

Point shooting, or below line of sight, on the other hand, would be a little more difficult, as the index is usually the upper body, thus making hits with the "flail", likely a poor proposition, especially if the targets are in different directions. I would think you'd need to be in a little better shape to pull it off, if you could do it at all. :)

Now straight ahead, or targets in the same general vicinity, and youre used to point shooting with your weak hand, yea, you could probably do OK.

Real "2 gun mojo" is very rare, but it does exist in some people.

Most of us can't throw a 90mph+ fastball, or deadlift 500lbs. There are people who can.

Some people are natural shots. They "use the force" (or whatever you want to call it) and can make astounding shots point shooting and do even better using the sights.

Others have a degree of talent, and hone it with practice, sometimes decades of practice.

I suppose there might be someone who actually could aim both at the same time, but I think advanced point shooting skill is what is displayed.

Shooting two guns ALTERNATELY, on the other hand is a fun game, and allows even regular mortals the opportunity to aim them.

The cowboy hero (and the Lone Ranger! :D) might use 2 guns, and considering the real fact that two guns doubles your firepower before a reload, and MIGHT just have happened once or twice in real life shooting SA revolvers back in the day, makes it cool.

The modern action hero/heroine wielding a pair of hi cap autos, aiming in opposite directions, clearing a room of bad guys surrounding them, and as a dramatic finale, crossing arms and shooting the last pair on opposite sides is a movie pipe dream.

But it is entertaining to watch!
;)

I was at the range one day shooting with a friend, and he looks over at me and said, hey! I thought you were left handed! I said your right! and switched to my left hand and kept on shooting.
I guess I should try shooting two at the same time, cause I'm pretty good right handed also.

Strictly speaking, you wouldn't want to shoot two handguns at once. You'd alternate between the two, allowing the other to "return to battery," so to speak. In spite of having shot revolvers like that, I don't believe it has much practical value. That is, unless you're in the habit of wearing two guns at once. But I suppose some people do, not referring to your backup gun.

It isn't a trick, although it could still be called trick shooting. It doesn't require "training," it requires practice. If you're at the point in your shooting experiences where you're thinking of doing something like that, you're probably capable of doing your own homework and developing your own technique. I never read where Ed McGivern had a teacher. He still studied the early gunfighters, to be sure. Who taught Hickock how to shoot?

There is piano music that requires crossing the hands, you know. But the hard part is just playing the piano in the first place.

Blue Train said it best,,,

But the hard part is just playing the piano in the first place.

I own two pairs of identical .22 semi pistols,,,
Two 4.5" Beretta U22 NEOS',,,
Two 5.5" Ruger 22/45's.

I have tried "dual wielding" a few times,,,
Just for the fun of doing it.

I can't say I did very well at it,,,
But it's a lot of fun to try,,,
And harms no one.

Just pretend you're John Smith in Last Man Standing,,,
Have some fun with it and you might actually get good at it.

Aarond

Akimbo....Dual wielding. I've done of lot of it in FPS video games. Looks cool as all get out tho. Laura Croft is quite good at it.....
maxresdefault.jpg

Firing both guns simultaneously is easy. Hitting anything is Hollywood.
"...Some people are natural shots..." Only in their own minds.

t o'heir said:
Firing both guns simultaneously is easy. Hitting anything is Hollywood.
"...Some people are natural shots..." Only in their own minds.

Check out the Jerry Miculek video that Hoghunting linked to above at about the 1:40 mark. I wouldn't want to be his target.

On the video of Miculek:
He has fired tens of thousands of rounds dual wielding. I think what he is actually doing is simple, but takes that kind of practice. He has a programmed static position he holds those guns at as rigidly as possible. He crosses the trajectory at a certain range so he knows if he aims one the other will be on target as long as he is in that rigid position. If you look closely you will see the right gun is in line and the left is angled. At least that is what it looks like to me.
The image that comes to mind for me is like in the old Mechwarrior games where one had to rotate the torso to bring some weapons to bear. That is muscle memory combined with some general athleticism. Like shooting two basketballs from the free-throw line simultaneously. One flat, one high arc. Yes, I am acquainted with a guy who could do that. God alone knows how many hours he spent in his driveway on that trick. He was spending 3-4 hours a night on basketball in general, so a hundred here or there on such trick shots is nothing.

If your firing a single action revolver aimed alternative shots might make sense.

I worked on being able to fired aimed shots(Kahr T9) with my right hand while basically doing spray and pray with my left hand(Glock 26) at multiple separate targets at one point. I had a 200+foot steep hill as my backstop. I didn't quite need all of it, but I wouldn't try it on every range I've fired at. At close range some hits on large silhouette size targets, but nothing impressive.

Back