Firearm for new shooter for home defense

I think she needs to try many of the weapons listed in this thread in order to make her own informed decision.

I think a shotgun with #4 buckshot or bigger is a reasonable choice for hunkering down and waiting for help, but my wife hates the noise, weight, and recoil.

Bear spray for bears in the woods is likely OK, but using it in your house is not.

I would not rule out a 9 mm pistol or carbine. An AR carbine is also worth a look.

Let her choose what she is most comfortable with, after using them all. Good luck.

How effective is bear mace against someone who is on alcohol and/or on drugs?

How effective is a gun against that kind of assailant? The OP is referencing a young lady with limited experience with firearms. Lots of gun owners might feel safe with that gun in the sock drawer, but when an intense situation unfolds how many will have the presence of mind to get the gun, call 911 and be capable of firing shots that will effectively stop an attack? I have no doubt that some people can use a gun effectively AND legally. But IMO many people are kidding themselves.

Just pointing out there are other options. We have both guns and mace.

How effective is a gun against that kind of assailant? The OP is referencing a young lady with limited experience with firearms. Lots of gun owners might feel safe with that gun in the sock drawer, but when an intense situation unfolds how many will have the presence of mind to get the gun, call 911 and be capable of firing shots that will effectively stop an attack? I have no doubt that some people can use a gun effectively AND legally. But IMO many people are kidding themselves.

Just pointing out there are other options. We have both guns and mace.

I wasn't trying to slam your suggestion, just asking about some of its effectiveness since I've never owned/used Bear Spray. As far as the effectiveness of a gun against someone on drugs and/or alcohol, a lot of it would depend on where they were hit.

Using bear spray or any other pepper or chemical spray inside the house will quickly change your mind about its effectiveness for home defense. I carry a spray often, and have convinced a couple of aggressive dogs to go away by using it. Outdoors.

A woman spraying an attacker inside will almost immediately receive enough to give advantage to the assailant. Bear spray is readily available. Give it a try and report back to us.

There is a chance the person using pepper spray inside might be affected. Cops use it often inside. As with any interaction with a bad guy, there is risk. Better than nothing, but imperfect. Shooting a gun inside is not risk free either.

I get that many posters here would prefer a gun and would recommend a gun for self defense/home defense. Personally a gun is my preferance as well. Each of us has to weight the risks and benefits of any self defense technique.

There is no any 1 gun to beat all home defense guns.

The reality is, 95% of home intruders aren't willing to stick around after the first shot fired. The other 5% are mentally unstable or on reality changing substances.

Any gun owner, no matter the excuse, should have adequate training in the gun they own. So if she can shoot and learns to handle a S&W 500 then That's the gun for her. So semi or revolver, doesn't matter. Most home defense scenarios dont require more than 5 shots, and most that shoot more are proven that it wasnt necessary to do so.

I would honestly recommend a .22lr like the SR22. If you want to upgrade that you can choose a .357 revolver and load .38 or go with a G19.

For a long gun, I would again recommend an AR platform .22lr like the S&W M&P 15-22. You can upgrade that to a 12 ga shotgun with reduced recoil 00 buckshot or a PCC in the AR platform.

I've shot thousands of rounds of CCI Mini Mags with no issue from both the SR22 and the M&P 15-22. Again, no home intruder in their right mind is going to stick around and risk getting shot. Every situation causes a person to assess the situation to decide if it is worth going for the gun, even at your hip.

A woman spraying an attacker inside will almost immediately receive enough to give advantage to the assailant. Bear spray is readily available. Give it a try and report back to us.

I was at Yellowstone last year and a youngster fired some bear spray in the Visitor Center at Old Faithful. They called rescue for multiple individuals and closed the Visitor Center for the remainder of the day.

I'm not sure bear spray indoors would be my first choice. On the other hand, nobody was severely injured.

Before you recommend a shotgun, I might suggest that one find a local shotgun IDPA or USPSA style match and see how you handle it in a movement and stress situation. I don't like it as a suggestion for a newbie who doesn't practice. Will it work for some and has it, sure - but not optimal in my opinion.

A mild shooting handgun in 38 SPL or 9mm with some training and practice should work just fine.

RUGER LCRx 38+P 3"/Winchester 130 gr. PDX1 +P.

5431.jpg

Red

If it were my daughter, of which I have none. I would give/recommend a "compact" auto loader of very reliable fashion like a glock or S&W m&p, with the biggest mag I could stuff in it with high quality ammo. 20 odd shots will get alot more work done than 6, especially if Im worried about "her" hitting something while scared to death.

Or better still a 9mm AR pistol, easy to use, shake awake red dot, flash light mounted on the gun, 33 rounds of "get the heck outta my house" hanging below.

Situation would dictate alot.

Back