Firearm for new shooter for home defense

I just thought of something: if you are on the phone with 911 quietly giving them details holed up somewhere a handgun would allow you to do that and keep gun ponted at entryway simultaneously

I just thought of something: if you are on the phone with 911 quietly giving them details holed up somewhere a handgun would allow you to do that and keep gun ponted at entryway simultaneously

So would a light carbine, say a 4.5lb Keltec. Add a sling and now it is even easier.

A pump action shotgun is doable but not as easy and of course requires two hands to operate.

A lowly Ruger 10/22 is a WAY better home defense gun then the best "wonder nine", 40 or 45 ever made, in the hands of about 99% of the shooters out there, and 100% of the time in the hands of a new shooter.

Best answer so far and exactly what I was going to recommend.

New guy here and on my phone so I cant see all the forums. I'll introduce myself later..

Home Defense weapons require some serious thought. First, you have to consider the area of potential collateral damage. In most homes a high powered gun could potentially put innocents at risk. I tend to rule them out instantly if living in a dense neighborhood. Second, semi automatics are typically to cumbersome to operate under stress without a lot of training. I've seen many release a mag thinking they're hitting the safety.

This leaves us with a small caliber single action such as a 22 short that despite its small size is quite capable at close range.

The other option and my choice is a semi auto tactical shotgun. I have a Benelli M4 Super 90 that I keep 4 rounds of buckshot in. One quick pull of the bolt and its ready to defend and theres nothing to do but pull the trigger.

Another thing to consider is that many home defense situations occur at night. If the house is dark it's pretty easy to find that shot gun and since the first shot is going to blind you and the perp the shot gun aim doesn't need to be perfect on the second shot. Granted the pattern is relatively small at close range but its bigger than a rifle or a handgun so the odds of stopping the perp are a little better even for the inexperienced.

The best thing you can do once you decide on the gun is to spend time at a range.

Hope this helps.

In most homes a high powered gun could potentially put innocents at risk. I tend to rule them out instantly if living in a dense neighborhood. Second, semi automatics are typically to cumbersome to operate under stress without a lot of training. I've seen many release a mag thinking they're hitting the safety.

Most cartridges go through walls. The best remedy is to minimize that risk by maximizing the user's ability to put the assailant between the gun and the wall. Proper instruction and regular training will be more important than caliber choice here (within reason).

Revolvers may be easier or less complicated for new shooters but anyone who owns any gun or may ever have the possibility of using a gun for defensive purposes should immediately get proper instruction and start regular training. It doesn't take much to get past the level of concern expressed here.

That said...

ATN082268, don't just give her a gun. Give her something better. Give her the gift of instruction, training, and time with you. Start taking her out shooting. Let her use some different guns. Pick a regular day each week, or even each month, and make some memories with her. It will enrich her life in more ways than one, and she'll be better able to defend that life with whatever tool she chooses.

ATN082268, don't just give her a gun. Give her something better. Give her the gift of instruction, training, and time with you. Start taking her out shooting. Let her use some different guns. Pick a regular day each week, or even each month, and make some memories with her. It will enrich her life in more ways than one, and she'll be better able to defend that life with whatever tool she chooses.

Definitely. I appreciate everyone who has/will comment on this. Sometime in the future, I'll post some updates. I think it will be a fun journey :)

The one time I experienced a true home-invasion break-in, I was nowhere near the bedroom where the shotgun was in the closet. I was at the other end of the house, rather close to the door that was being kicked in.

It was a long run to get to that shotgun. People who think long guns are the ideal solution for home defense are expecting the intruders to wait until they are in the bedroom. They don't always comply.

To the original question - any reliable firearm that she is willing to become competent in operating, and can get to when needed.

I would consider a medium-sized 9mm semi-auto, or full-sized .38 revolver to be good baselines as a starting point for your investigation. My wife prefers a 2 1/2" K-frame S&W revolver. But she needs to pick it. It's the type of thing where you can guide someone to a starting point but they need to make the journey themselves.

If forced to make specific recommendations, I would say a Glock 19 or a S&W Model 66 4", because I am familiar with those. There are plenty of other options.

The one time I experienced a true home-invasion break-in, I was nowhere near the bedroom where the shotgun was in the closet. I was at the other end of the house, rather close to the door that was being kicked in.

If my door were being kicked in I would definitely retreat to the other end of the house, grab a long gun and call the police.

As you pointed out, there's a lot more to this than gun selection, but since you only asked about that.
The new S&W .380 "EZ" is easy to run. The one without a safety lever is better. Other than the questionable practice of running a revolver in single-action, I can't think of a handgun that is easier.

A long gun has a lot of advantages. If she can't handle the recoil of a 20 ga, consider a "pistol caliber carbine" which could include semi-autos and lever guns. A lever .357 can be short with light recoil. A semi-auto carbine in 9mm that takes common magazines like Glock or Beretta is another good idea.

Better train hard no matter what. How she stores it is important too. She'd really be better off if she'd carry something. If you're staring down an assailant in the living room, the LCP in your pocket is better than the AR in your sock drawer or the back of the closet in the other room. It's also true when you walk to your car, the mailbox, or anywhere else.

A shotgun that you can handle and your wife if that's possible is my recommendation...bird shot is good at close range, and you can use it for fun shooting clay birds as well as home defense.

This is a handgun forum so I assume you're interested in that type of weapon. I'd recommend good training if you go that route as well as a lot of practice to gain proficiency. A handgun's pluses are portability and the ability to carry concealed...but requires far more skill (read; training) to wield effectively in a dire emergency than a shotgun. So it you don't plan to carry away from home, the shotgun would be my choice, were I you.

HTH's Rod

The only thing that turns me off with shotguns for home defense is shot capacity on most. I could be wrong in my concern or way of thinking but if I have multiple people breaking in I for sure dont want to be reloading or trying to while getting fired at.

Last edited:
I'm kinda shocked that no one has posted this link yet.
http://www.corneredcat.com/

This is a firearms site for women, but anyone can learn from it. This would be my forst stop when looking for a first gun for someone new to firearms.

My first question of the OP would be, is there a race? Does this person need a firearm now or else?

If not, gift her with an introductory class where she can become familiar with different types of firearms. Take her to a gun range that rents and let her try a variety of guns.

The best thing you can do is give this person access to information so she can make her own choice and support her to the best of your ability.

I'm kinda shocked that no one has posted this link yet.
http://www.corneredcat.com/

This is a firearms site for women, but anyone can learn from it. This would be my forst stop when looking for a first gun for someone new to firearms.

My first question of the OP would be, is there a race? Does this person need a firearm now or else?

If not, gift her with an introductory class where she can become familiar with different types of firearms. Take her to a gun range that rents and let her try a variety of guns.

The best thing you can do is give this person access to information so she can make her own choice and support her to the best of your ability.

There isn't a race in that there isn't a known life or death situation. I'll let my step daughter use some of my firearms to get an idea of what she wants. I don't have a ton of guns but they do cover a fairly wide range of platforms. She can use one of my firearms until she gets what she wants or if she is happy with one of mine, I'll probably give it to her as a gift.

Back