Finished with probation

Hippokrates of Kos (ca. 460 BC – ca. 370 BC) - Greek: Ἱπποκράτης; Hippokrátēs was an ancient Greek physician of the Age of Pericles ...

Maybe you meant 'hypocrites'?

And some stupid actions have long term permanent consequences.

I just had to lay off a guy who could not get a security clearance because he failed to register for the draft.

Doesn't much matter what his story is. He asked an honest question and Boats'56 is being all holier than thou art and rude buy passing judgement on someone he has never even met. How would you like it if I said do everyone a favor and never speak again, its obvious you can't be polite. He didn't ask you what your opinion of him was as a person.

And when did he mention wanting a ruger? Is there a responsibility test that goes along with a background check to get one of those? They must be very prestigious guns.

From http://www.jud.state.ct.us/legalterms.htm#Accelerated Rehabilitation:

Accelerated Rehabilitation: Also called AR. A program that gives persons charged with a crime or motor vehicle violation for the first time a second chance. The person is placed on probation for up to two years. If probation is completed satisfactorily, the charges are dismissed.

So, NO he wasn't CONVICTED of anything. He agreed to a diversion program. The charges are dismissed at the end of a set period if the subject stays out of trouble. What is so hard to understand here? This does not count as a conviction. Someone thought his crime wasn't too serious, didn't want to take it trial, but also didn't want to dismiss it outright, so they offered him this program that wouldn't subject him to jeopardy of a conviction and he could be spared the expense of a defense.

Also see:

From:http://www.jacobslaw.com/CM/CriminalDefensePractice/PretrialDiversionPrograms.asp

Accelerated Rehabilitation

Qualifications:

* An individual not charged with an A or B felony or certain motor vehicle offenses or sexual offenses; motor vehicle crimes resulting in death; family violence crimes; having previously used the Pre-trial Violence Education Program; or eligible for or having used the Pre-trial Drug Education Program.

* The individual has not been adjudicated a Youthful Offender within the preceding five years.

* Good cause is shown for any crime charged upon a Class C felony.

* The individual has no prior record of conviction of a crime or Driving Under the Influence or Driving Under Suspension or Negligent Homicide with a Motor Vehicle.

General Provisions:

* Program requires an application submitted to the Court under oath attesting to eligibility under the qualifications set forth above. The applicant agrees to give notice to the victim who shall have the right to appear and be heard at the time the application is acted upon. The applicant further agrees that any evidence obtained by the police may be order returned to the rightful owner prior to the disposition of the case and stipulates to the use of secondary evidence with respect to those items. If granted, the Court is authorized to place the individual on probation for a period of up to two years. The application is screened by the Court Support Services Division. If successfully completed, the charges are dismissed and their record is ultimately erased, allowing the participant to testify under oath that he or she has never been convicted of a crime.

Lots of people are on probation, or some other type of Court supervision without being convicted on anything. Most of those people ended up in that type of supervision because the Court's identified them as somebody who made a dumb mistake, but also as somebody that is not a threat to the community.

For all I know, this guy may not be suitable to carry a firearm. My only point was that that decision should be made by the Sheriff, not by some pretentious person who is all to quick to jump to assumptions and pass judgement on somebody after having only limited information.

A lot of people have done dumb things in their past and have grown well beyond those dumb things. Maybe this guy has learned from his mistakes, or maybe he's a raging criminal that has no business being around guns. Not our decision to make.

For all I know, this guy may not be suitable to carry a firearm. My only point was that that decision should be made by the Sheriff, not by some pretentious person who is all to quick to jump to assumptions and pass judgement on somebody after having only limited information.
Then what makes you think that a typical Sheriff in a typical anti-gun state qualifies under these standards?

The Sheriff qualifies in the sense that he's been appointed by the powers that be as the one to make that decision. Whether or not he'll make the "correct" decision is out of our hands, but he's the man with the power, so it's his opinion that gets to count.

Again, all I'm saying is that everybody deserves a fair shake. I have enough faith in the system to where I think they'll make the right decision the majority of times. I'm sure they err on the side of caution, and if that means that a deserving person gets rejected, then tough titties on that person. Somebody has to make the decision and that somebody has guidelines to follow. There's no perfect systems in this world, but all we can do is live by the rules, or fight within our rights to change the system.

The person who posted the questions about the issue needs to know this.

Forget about the guns for now and forget about the concealed carry permit for now.

Get done with the probation.

Get out of the system of someone else being able to simply screw you because you're asking questions about your gun rights.

Once your probation is over and the charges are dropped,that is the time to be asking these questions and then you're only true allie(someone you can trust) will be a lawyer that knows the laws where you live.

Preferably a lawyer that has a public record of fighting for people's gun rights.

Just satisfy the court's requirements now and stay out of trouble.

Then start this quest for a concealed carry permit.

If you completed the terms of your AR and the carges were "dismissed" and not "Nolle'd" meaning no lo contendre (a latin term meaning that you agree the state had the pc to arrest you, however the state is reserving the right of prosecution to see if you stay out of trouble for the next 13 months, in which case the charges are dismissed) which would extend your probation another 13 months. If the probation period is over, and the charges are indeed dismissed,and there was not "nolle" time pending, then you should have no hassle getting your permit. Whatever you do, dont lie about geting arrested and the charges against you. False statements on the application will get you denied for eternity, and arrested for false statement.

Depending on the charges you may be denied by your town. If your arrest was for certain charges then 2 years isnt that long ago to deny you a permit, regardless of the outcome in court.

Keep in mind also, people get deals every single day in this state. NOBODY goes to for a first arrest unless they kill more than 2 nuns. Not in CT.

And you get AR once. Its a one shot deal, use it once and its gone forever.

AZ does NOT allow someone with an expunged criminal record to get a CCW permit at this time - a bill to change this is working it's way through the legislature right now. It's not the law, but DPS interpretation. I know two people who are doing the domestic violence classes, which does the exact same thing, total erasure of the charges when successfully completed.
Get an attorney, find out what hoops you have to jump through, AND NEVER EVER DO WHATEVER IT WAS AGAIN.

An expunged CONVICTION, or an expunged ARREST?

Under the "innocent until proven guilty" theory, it's only a CONVICTION that has a bearing on your rights in most cases.

Back