Finished with probation

kevinwas

Inactive
I was arrested 2 years ago for 2 felonies, it had to do nothing with firearms. I was put on AR (accelerated rehabilitation). Which meant i was on probation for 2 years, and when i complete the probation successfully (community service) my charges will be dismissed. Now when these charges get dismissed, will i have any trouble receiving my ccw permit? I'm located in CT. Any help would be great.

1) Ask a lawyer regarding your specific situation.
2) If it is still reasonably fresh in the mind of your sheriff, I would be surprised if he would issue such a permit.

I doubt you could even buy a new gun and truthfully answer all the BATF questions. Doesn't a felony permanently blackball you?

If I'm reading his post right, he was never actually convicted. I would say that you should call the local sheriff's office and ask. Go straight to the horse's mouth, don't rely on internet speculation from people who don't even live in your state.

Most police departments will still SEE the felony arrests when they run the BOP and CORI checks (at least here in Mass), that's usually enough for them to rule against issuing here.

but posted on http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294502 it has definitions for Eligibility of Certificate like it will be only denied for certain felonies..

"

Special Licensing and Firearms

Connecticut State Pistol Permit

The Special License and Firearms Unit is responsible for the issuance of state pistol permits. Applicants for a state pistol permit must first apply for, and be granted a local pistol permit. A local pistol permit may be obtained from the police chief in the town in which you reside or maintain a place of business.

Out of state residents may apply for a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit. Non residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police. Call 860-685-8494 to have an application mailed out.

Information can be found in the following categories:

Instructions to Applicants
Eligibility Certificate
Pistol Permit Renewals
Change of Address
Lost or Stolen
Supplemental Firearm Permit
Pistol Permit Revocations
Board of Firearm Permit Examiners
Frequently Asked Questions
Forms

Instructions to Applicants
The guidelines for obtaining both a local and state pistol permit are contained in C.G.S., sec. 29-28, 29-28a, and 28-29.

Applicants must be at least 21 years old and be a legal resident of the United States. Persons convicted of a felony or any one of 11 misdemeanor offenses detailed in the statute are ineligible to receive a permit. Persons convicted as a delinquent for the commission of a serious juvenile offense (as defined in section 46b-120); persons discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect (pursuant to section 53a-13); persons confined in a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities (as defined in section 17a-495), within the preceding 12 months by order of a probate court; persons subject to a restraining or protective order issued by a court in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person; persons subject to a firearms seizure order issued pursuant to C.G.S. 29-38c after notice and hearing; and any person who is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States, are prohibited from obtaining a pistol permit.

The cost for obtaining a pistol permit is $35.00. The permit is good for a period of five years. The application paperwork may be obtained from a local police department, city or town hall or first selectman's office in the case of a local permit, or any state police barracks in the case of a state pistol permit. You are required to complete a handgun safety course prior to submitting the application. You will also be required to submit to a background investigation, criminal history check and submit fingerprints and photographs in connection with your application. The licensing statute also contains a “suitability clause” which provides that the issuing authority may deny such application, if it determines that the applicant is not a suitable person to possess or carry a pistol or revolver. The suitability clause applies both to the issuance of new permits and revocation of existing permits. Applicants must provide proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, voters registration card or U.S. Passport. Legal Alien Residents must provide Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency. Naturalized citizens require proof of citizenship.

The issuing authority has 8 weeks to review your application and approve or deny. A denial may be appealed to the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners as provide in C.G.S. Section 29-32.

Eligibility Certificate
An eligibility certificate is issued pursuant to C.G.S. 29-36f through 29-36i. It entitles the holder to purchase a firearm and transport same to their residence or place of business. It does not entitle the holder to carry a pistol or revolver on their person.

Applicants must be at least 21 years old and be a legal resident of the United States. Persons convicted of a felony or any one of 11 misdemeanor offenses detailed in the statute are ineligible to receive an eligibility certificate. Persons convicted as a delinquent for the commission of a serious juvenile offense (as defined in Section 46b-120); persons discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect (pursuant to section 53a-13); persons confined in a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities (as defined in section 17a-495), within the preceding 12 months by order of a probate court; persons subject to a restraining or protective order issued by a court in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person; persons subject to a firearms seizure order issued pursuant to C.G.S. 29-38c after notice and hearing; and any person who is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States, are prohibited from obtaining an eligibility certificate."

We get back to the same issue, again I only know Mass scenarios. It will still show up that the BOP has a sealed entry on it. By law you will have to divulge what that entry is. Conneticut may be different, so best of luck.

Expunged or not, when a PD or Sheriffs office runs your criminal history, the record of your arrest will be on there along with what the original charges were. Don't be surprised if your rejected on based on that alone. You may be able to appeal it, but at your cost of course. As said consult a lawyer.

One more for a lawyer, and not just any general lawyer, but one who specializes in civil rights and the restoration thereof.

While you're paying the lawyer, I would investigate any and all other concerns this arrest may have upon you in the future.

ESPECIALLY check the federal statutes regarding "felon in possession of a firearm."

I will tell you that if you were arrested for a CAP crime (crimes against people), I think you face a tremendous uphill battle.

Jeff

to be honest with you, depending what kind of felonies you're talking about, i might be more relieved to know you're unable to even own a firearm, much less concealed carry one.

in new jersey you can never own a firearm if you've been convicted of spousal abuse, or have had a restraining order against you, or you've been institutionalized. i feel they're sound reasons for denying a person access to guns.

I believe the OP is referring to some sort of 4th or 5th degree felonies, something not se serious that a prosecutor would agree to an AR program for this guy. If you were never CONVICTED, then you are NOT a felon, and if what you were arrested for was a white collar crime or sometime of other monetary crime, then i dont beliove you should have any problems. But as ithers have said, if you were arrested for assault or similkar, well good luck.

felony record

In Ohio, as I was told when going through CCW course, that any felony charge against you will disallow you from owning any gun!!!
There have been quite a few felony arrests in the Cleveland area of people with guns that have had felony convictions, and they add gun charges to whatever else they are charged with.
Mickey

I can tell you that my office (felony probations and parole) gets phone calls from the feds on persons looking just to purchase a firearm if there is ANY mention of a felony arrest in my state. Even if the conviction "never happened" as in the OP's case, they generally chuckle and say they will deny the purchase. Just a thought.

Look people, stop talking as if he was convicted. He said he was in a diversion type program in which charges are held in abeyance, and terminated when a set probation period ends. No charges, no conviction, no federal disability. CT is a may-issue state and you need a local pistol permit first from the Police in the town where you reside which might be a problem, but there's no penalty for applying. There is absolutely NO LEGAL BASIS for a federal denial of a purchase for someone for whom the charges have been dropped.

Back