Finally Plucked Up the Courage to Ask - 1911 Why oh Why ?

I think preference for the 1911 has a lot to do with our how old we are and when we started buying selfloaders. 20 or so years ago there weren't a whole of them to chose from. Pretty much the Colt 1911 and Smith & Wesson models 39 and 59 in 9MM in mainline gun stores. Those S&W were considered pretty hi-tech as they were double actions. At that time S&W made only those two models in center fire. What a change today.
Anyway, to me it was no contest and I got my first 1911 Gov't model in 1979. since then I've had several and regret ever letting any go. Currently have a Combat commander, (my daily carry piece) and a blue Gov't model, both series 70. I've made absolutely NO changes to them, and they shoot great and reliably.

I think a lot of younger shooters are influenced by all the hi-tech hype about gun and non-gun products on the market. (Don't get me wrong, hi-tech is good, if it's an improvement, I just don't think that the complicated double action mechanisms are an improvement on a tool that your life depends on).

I'd bet that the pro 1911 fold are over 40 years old. And Gocksters, SIGsters etc. are younger.
I just bought my first double action selfloader, a CZ75B.
It's a generation thing.

[This message has been edited by TABING (edited December 18, 1999).]

1911's? Ohhhh, they shoot so good!

I think if most handgunners spent any time with a really good 1911, they might fall in love. I won't waste space, other than to agree with all the good things already said about it here.

Btw, I fondled the Steyr M40 again today (speaking of hi-tech), and it's nice. I want them all.

I was first introduced to the 1911 in the Army. I hadn't shot handguns very much before and the qualifying course was so easy that I didn't think much of it when I rated expert. After I left the Army, I never really thought about the 1911 for many years. Looking back now, I realize what made qualifying so easy was the fact that the gun just fit me so well.
I bought a Commander in the late 70's and ended up selling it cause it kept jamming. Oh, if I'd only known then what I know now, I could have fixed it myself in about ten minutes. Real dumb move on my part. They are easy to work on.
For most of my shooting life, I've been a dedicated revolver man. But several years ago I got the bug to do a project gun and with all the goodies avaliable, the 1911 was the obvious choice. I picked up a really crappy pre-70 series Commander at a gunshow dirt cheap and over the next two years tinkered with this, added that, even took out some improvements in favor of stock parts until I was satisfied. The end result turned out so well that it is now my daily carry gun.
So, the 1911 is easy to shoot well, easy to work on, and can be customized to your personal taste without problem. What other gun can make these claims?

Why drive a volkswagen when you can have a Lincoln?

I have to agree with every positive thing said about the 1911 on this thread. It is after almost 100 yrs. still the best auto loader on the face of the planet! I am not older (in my twenties!) so I am not clinging to the past. I have shot them all SIG, HK, GLOCK, BERETTA ETC; ETC; And nothing IMHO compares to a good 1911.

Most people I have encountered interested in firearms with any knowledge at all will immediately recognize the intrinsicly superior features a good 1911 has over other "modern" auto loaders. Most have already been mentioned on this thread. One feature in particular I would really like to highlight...

The straight single action trigger, with no slack in it! by far make it a quicker, easier, more accurate pistol on the average...

Can someone honestly say they enjoy taking up the "SLACK" in another type of auto loader everytime they squeeze the first one off, and to some extent (depending on the shooter) the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th one for that matter...

All other major designs have good qualities to them...

If you look at the SIG line there most coveted pistol (the P210) utilizes the straight single action "SLACKLESS" design that the 1911 has.

I can ramble on and on about the 1911, the utilization of the .45ACP as a proven man stopper, the safety features, reliablity, accuracy, etc; but it has already been said by most of the previous posts.

Unfortunately, most people who come into shooting know nothing about "DETAILs" like SA triggers with no slack in them. Most are more interested in "how many rounds it can hold?" or "Do the SEALs carry it?" Was it in latest hollywood action flick?

That has been my experience with a lot of people. I generally keep my mouth shut and let them come to there own conclusions about firearms. I can see "DETAILS" and thats all that matters. Modern firearms like HKs, SIGs, and GLOCKs are really good weapons...
Great for the masses!

I am a proud member of the elite who are "IN THE KNOW" and would prefer a good 1911 over any other auto available.

With that said let the "SLACKERS" have there DAO's and DA/SA's. If it works for them great...

As for me 1911 all the way!!!

------------------
SURE SHOT

Mikey how bout 55 bel air 1/4" stroked BB out to about 496, TH400, Manual valve only, large port heads, vertex mag, 8-71 huffer,Nine inch 4.11 posi, 33x16.5 Mickyes on back, Halibrands on all four.Watch out for that midrange torque. A MOUSE might have the light but they all know the RAT is on the way and cant do a damn thing about it."CHEVY POWER"! Drive the best, dont need the rest.

Shot the rest, got the best.

If it aint an 11 it aint ***T!

The post about 1911 inaccuracy reminded me of a personal experience many years ago...
I was attending one of the original SOT courses taught by former 5th SFG(A) Project Blue Light Operators. All the students were young Rangers or SFers and had brought their issue 1911A1s from home station. These were classic parkerized G.I. pistols... worn, loose, fixed sights, absolutely no custom features. Most of the pistols were older than the troops carrying them by at least 20 years and a couple of wars. The chief marksmanship instructor (a senior Master Sgt and former Camp Perry competitor with the Army Pistol Team) brought up all the same old concerns about "Old Slabsides" (i.e., loose, shot out, terrible sights, incapable of any decent accuracy). He then asked us if we thought that the condition of our pistols would handicap our bullseye or combat firing drills. We unanimously agreed that we would be lucky to hit anything with our old clapped out pieces. He then selected (at random) a pistol straight out of a young Ranger Bn E-5´s holster. After clearing the weapon, he shook it. It rattled nicely. He observed that the pistol did indeed look pretty beat. He then loaded a 7 round magazine, placed the weapon UPSIDE DOWN in his weak hand, using his little finger to engage the trigger, and fired at standard 25 yard pistol bullseye target. Afew seconds later, there was a 7-round, 2" group clustered in the 10X ring (from 25 Yards). He cleared the pistol, handed it back to its chagrined owner, and addressed our rather silent and open mouthed class. "Well..." he said. "I guess if ya can´t hit the targets during this course, it won´t because of your .45". The point was well taken. We learned to assimilate and apply marksmanship fundamentals prior to progressing to the sexy combat firing drills...and we never doubted our 1911A1s again. By the way, all students learned to engage multiple targets out to 25 yards with consistent doubletap headshots using our WWII/Korean War era 1911s. The point of this shooting was to prove that we could do so, not that doubletap head shots were necessarily the best technique with an 8-round capacity weapon. In any event, I have never met an inaccurate 1911A1. The stock pistol is capable of out of the box acceptable combat accuracy (2"-4" groups). The ergonomics are superb. It fits my hand like no other pistol. I shoot it well. The SA trigger pull is consistent and enhances accuracy and speed. It is reliable, simple to field strip, and repairable by the user (in the unlikely event something breaks). The .45 ACP round is ballistically more accurate than the 9mm and provides better stopping power when comparing both rounds in their full metal jacket incarnations. It is not a weapon for the novice (todays DAs are "safer" for the occasional shooter) but, it is a weapon that an expert can wring maximum performance out of. With modern defensive ammo, sights, triggers, customization, etc., the 1911A1 (in its many versions) competes on equal or better footing with any combat handgun (or centerfire competition weapon) out there. I say this as an avowed fan of Glocks, SIGs, and other modern pistols. A "stock" Milspec 1911A1 (such as an out-of-the-box Springfield) provides the shooter with an awsomely lethal and bombproof handgun. And, oh by the way...it conceals better than any other large frame pistol and better than a lot of mid-sized ones (try concealed carry with an M9)

The 1911 has a 70 year track record of success. No other gun in the world can make that claim, with the possible exception of the Peacemaker. I'll happily stick with anything that proven.
A note on the Moro insurection & Peacemakers: while it's true that the Army did send a load of Model P's to the Phillipines, the .45 Colt cartridge fared no better than did the .38. Seems it took rifle power to make sure one shot stops on doped-up natives.

When I first started shooting IPSC in '81, I was the only new shooter at my club using an auto (1911 .45, of course.) All the others were using revolvers. My gun kept having failures to feed every 3rd round, but I was still able to place first in NS category. (Still have those mags today, and they work fine. Never did figure out the problem.) For my next several matches, shooting as a "D" class shooter, I used my S&W M19 .357 with full power American Eagle 158 gr. loads. Consistently placed 1st or 2nd, beating autoloaders. Go figure.

If I want DA, I'll shoot a revolver. If I want an auto, I'll shoot an SA only auto, the 1911. I shoot it better than any other gun I've ever shot (with the exception of some .22's.) I have much confidence in it, and that's worth a lot.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

I always want the .45 ACP or 1911's as carry and overall usage as self defense gun. Big bore, availability of spareparts and very reliable for me.

This is just to correct your history Mr. Tecolote, 45King & bookman. It is true that the .45 was come to it's existence because of the Moro in the Philippines during the US campaign. It is not also proper to call Philippine Insurrection. We have already an Independent government before the coming of any aliens from other countries, only most governmental units are composed of Chieftain that headed a particualr Area. But before the coming of Spaniards and Americans we have already an Independent Government. But for the first test of US hegemony, the Philippines is his first victim. He allied first with the Filipinos to fight against Spain, but the Filipinos were tricked by the new invaders. Without the knowhow of Filipinos, Spain ceded/sold PI to Americans.

The first friction of fights is in Pasig River, Manila. When Americans start to mobilize their forces against Philippines. When US forces shoot a Filipino soldier that crosses the Bridge Crossing the Pasig River. That incident started the fights between Americans and Filipinos. How good to remember the .45 is a historic guns because the .38 cannot incapacitate a moro in Philippines during that time. Also, pls note that General Aguinaldo (Commonwealth Pres) was captured by the US Soldiers because of the treachery of Philippine Scouts that are allied to US soldiers. Just a reminder, mostly Philippine History were written by Americans before, so many are bias. But as of this time we launch a true Philippine History Books that speaks the truth. I think the only well noted Americans that knows much the Filipinos is General McArthur. That even during the liberation period against the Japanese, MacArthur recommend to free Phils first before going to Australia but he was denied for this. Nonetheless, evertyhing went fine.

This is to recollect past event related to .45

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by stdalire (edited December 18, 1999).]

Browning designed his masterpiece for providing an emergency weapon carried on the person that would STOP an assailant up close and sudden. it had to be reliable,durable, easily cleaned and maintained under field conditions,and operable by someone under great stress and at great peril.

The result,the 1911 GM.

At this point in time I've owned/carried nigh a dozen over the years. They've ranged from GI clunkers that rattled when shaken to a finely tuned Dinan custom Camp Perry piece of art. All worked,all of the time, for the original parameters. Smithing and parts replacement is needed when one takes it out of the original idea, using non FMJ ammo, wanting more long range(for a handgun) capability,etc.

Maybe the SIGs, Glocks, etc are good weapons,amybe not. I'll never get the opportunity to find out, because I use something with an unmatched track record,and I'm not gambling my life when I know something will DDDO the job if I do mine...

oberkommando,

I had a '56 and a '57 but always lusted after a '55! Almost got a '69 Z-Camaro but opted for the mild '67 (210 horse 327) and built from there. Kinda like buying a gummit model and tweaking it till you can't recognize it!

Well, when I got done it had (what was) a 375 horse 327 (the one with 2.02 intake valves), stroked with a 283 crank, TRW4 pop tops (11.5/1 compression), Crane roller tip rockers with double springs, a nice hi-lift short-duration cam, aluminum hi-rise intake with a Holly 780 dual-line carb, Borg-Warner T-10 4 speed, Hooker headers with Cherry Bombs, .411 posi, traction bars and Micky Thompson signature series L60's for grip. This baby dyno'd 410 horses at the rear wheels! Had to "log-chain" the left side of the engine to keep from breaking motor mounts.

I don't even tweak my 1911's that much! Why get hung up on "box-stock" if the racing stuff makes it better?

Mikey

It fits my hand, goes "BANG" every time I twitch my index finger, and is more accurate than I am. I don't think of it as a relic, I think of it as an icon, a gun for all times. JMB was the foremost firearm designer in history, and his designs are still viable.

------------------
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

As far as the 1911 being an American gun ONLY...I would have to disagree. Unless you count the Mexicans as being Americans.

Mexicans have been in LOVE with the 1911 and the .45 for decades now and the trend is not stoping. It has to be one of the most common weapons seen in Mexico and all of Latin America.

But the international renown does not stop there. If you examine Browning designs they are constantly improving over time. I view the Browning Hi-Power as a next logical step for the trend browinig started. The Hi-Power is probably the world's (not necesarily USA) most popular gun of the last 100 years.

Browning designs are truly timeless...

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

Why I prefer the 1911 you ask???? boiling it down to the bare bones fact base data:

I LOVE HOW IT FEELS!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1911 fits my had so much better than anything else I've shot, it's natural point of aim is the best I've ever expercienced.

It just feels soooooooo good!!!!!!!

Tabing

I'm 21, and the 1911 was my first purchase when I turned 21,(well, not really, I won the auction when like 2 weeks before my b-day, and delays and stuff, I didn't get it until may)
But I've always wanted a 1911, cuz its a legend among guns. my shots pretty good out of the box considering it was really inexpensive.

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

Mike H: I by and large agree with the positive comments about the 1911 Govt.

I can tell you what I *don't* like about "the others": I don't like the double-action triggers, period. I don't like the feel of the grip, as compared to the Govt. And last, I don't like the looks, from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

But: The gun you shoot best with is the best gun for you, no matter if it's Colt, Glock, etc., etc.

If you fancy yourself as a driver, you must master with the 911. If you fancy yourself as a shotist, the you must master the 1911. Classic designs get that way for a reason.
M2

We have a saying at my IDPA matches. The 1911, the gun God uses. One of our members had a near death experience. Upon arriving at the pearly gates, he reported St Peter asked for his name. The shooter told him, and St Peter reached under his robe for a pencil to mark his name off the list. When he moved his robes the shooter noticed that he was packing a 1911. The shooter remarked that he was surprised that St Peter had a CCW. St Peter looked at him and said "Who do you think invented the term cocked and locked?,... Shooter ready?" At that, he was brought back to life. A devout 1911 man with many other faithful.

------------------
Courage is only fear that has said its prayers.

I think the Porsche 911 and 1911 comparison is appropriate. The 911 is quite pretty and command a premium price, regardless of age, but it has some very nasty quirks, is old technology, and isn't 100% reliable.

Me, I'll take what works, be it an Acura NSX or a Glock.

The nastiest quirk a 911 has is beating Big Iron, as well as little iron. And getting better gas mileage and cuter girls while doing it...

:), Art

Back