Finally fired a Glock for the 1st time

After years (decades) of use and carry of the Browning HiPower, I found the Glock 17 suited my needs better. That was soon followed by a G26, both Gen3. I like the Glock trigger just fine.
Finally, I couldn’t resist the cheap police surplus .40’s, and bought a like new Gen4 G22 with night sights. What a great shooting pistol, and the Gen4 trigger is like an old friend. I also found I like the grip texture, and the feel with no back strap installed. It immediately moved into the home defense pistol role.

Last edited:
I love my glock 26/17 combo, I even got a glock 30 which IMO at 10+1 with the extended base plate is the IDEAL carry 45 best in the world IMO.

I also love the mag interchangeability- I can run my 26 with backup mags from the whole line. 10, 15, 17, 24, or 33! I can also run my mags in all sorts of 9MM carbines, like the Ruger PCC or Kel-tec Sub-2000 as well as a variety of AR patterns.

I really want a Glock 34 MOS... Throw a red dot & a suppressor on there and load it up with 33+1 147gn Winchester PDX-1 projectiles known to deliver excellent performance in the FBI test (0.63" expansion IIRC, according to luckygunner). I can only imagine the range fun, but I want it for HD... anyone making a run at the castle is in for a world of hurt.

No other brand really compares in the practical handgun department in any caliber, excluding mouse guns. I'm not a glock fanboy but its true... I do own many other brands for range fun however, just cant imagine shooting when it counts with anything but Glock.

I started off with Sigs as well. I had a P228 made in West Germany and it was a great shooter. I shot it very well in single action, but double action was not as accurate. The other issue I had was with the conceal-ability of the P228. I was pretty skinny back in the day and there was no way I could conceal a P228 with what I wore normally. I ended up getting a Glock 26 which was much easier to conceal. While I hated the feel of the squishy trigger, the trigger pull was consistent shot to shot and I shot fairly well with it.

Overall, Glock make a great gun. It is incredibly reliable, highly corrosion resistant, and very simple to operate and upgrade. I still stand by what I said about the Wather PPQ being superior to the Glock 19 though.

I bought a Gen 4 G19 in probably 2013. It was my first Glock and the only one I've ever owned. I call her Gretchen. I'd also never shot a Glock before that. Two thousand+ rounds and five years later (including about 3.5 where she was my carry gun, I'll say this: The grip is just a tiny bit too fat for my hands, but within acceptable parameters. The G19 is hard to beat in its ratio of weight to capacity. Aftermarket support for Glocks is second to none. If someone makes a gunwidget, the first one they make will be for a Glock. The trigger? Not nearly as nice as my 1911, but I don't expect it to be. I wound up with a decent trigger for a Glock.

Gretchen's been replaced by a Shield for daily carry, and I consider replacing her from time to time, but I never get around to it. I can't seem to bring myself to sell her, for one basic reason. She runs like a scalded dog. She hasn't been 100% reliable, but she's been very, very good. The handful of malfunctions I've had have been traceable (I strongly suspect) to one or two of my magazines. She eats every kind of ammo without hesitation, and requires a minimum of maintenance.

Since this thread is still alive, and I can't play outside today, I'll tell my experience.

About 10 years later I was at a private range with a friend and a guy he knew was shooting with us. He had two Glocks - a 17 and a 26. We all swapped guns around and when I shot his Glocks I was very impressed. They were stock guns. I realized that the one I shot back in the 90s was just a crummy, worn out range gun. But, I still liked my SIGs and had holsters and extra mags and other accessories for them, so I stayed with SIG.

Then a couple of years ago I was looking for a .380. I knew then that Glock was a fine gun, and I bought a model 42. It's a great little gun that I carry often.

Still have the SIGs and don't plan on selling them, but I'm also very happy with my Glock. It just took 20 years for me to find one I wanted.
HA..just traded my G43 for a nearly new G26/4 yesterday..Gonna shoot it this WE. I also have G42, that I carry when clothes doesn't allow the (now)G26..G26 VERY comfy in my hand and width with regards to carry, no problem, length is..why the G26 with a wee mag extension works great, for me.

Better to be old and wise than young and dumb.:D:D:D
Wisdom is more often about being open minded and discerning than clinging to a relic, even if it happens to be an excellent relic.

The 1911 is an excellent pistol. But its limited capacity is a product of its antiquity, and modern ammunition is minimizing the advantages of the .45.

If choosing an alternative without these setbacks makes one "young and dumb" then I hope my modern pea shooter protects me from the influences of the "old and wise."

*For the record, I have owned 1911s, I currently have one, and I hope to own more in the future. It just so happens, in this particular thread, that is not the point.

Am fond of sa/da revolvers and numerous types of semi's. All have a purpose, and varying capabilities. Last couple years have also become fond of plastic framed pistols.

Fortunately ran out of money to keep spending on em.

Back