Finally fired a Glock for the 1st time

Get a G45, a G19 MOS, or wait for the front serrations slides to become the standard for Gen 5 (they're already shipping). These slides have an additional machined cut in the slide right in front of the breechface (you can Google about it). The cut aides in holding the brass against the breechface. The end result is extraction and ejection that blows the previous generations away. I thought it might be a little better, but the difference is dramatic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks for mentioning that about the latest updates and your experience with the improved ejection. I am aware of it and have been watching to see what LGS has in stock. I will check again when I go to the range again which will be this or next week. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
You'll forgive my skepticism, but I wouldn't expect it to make that much of a difference, if any. Glocks have always been fairly accurate, and I don't notice any improvements from my gen 3 to gen 5 19, or my gen 4 to gen 5 17.

American Rifleman is like most of the other gun magazines in circulation today. They make their money by selling guns, not by providing objective analysis. I can't remember the last time I read anything more direct than oblique criticism.
They put the Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS in a ransom rest. I agree most gun reviews these days are not very critical but I think it is a stretch to think they are fudging accuracy results.

I fired someones Glock a couple of years ago at the range. No idea what model it was; a full-sized 9mm. It was ugly and had no soul, but it shot well and was comfortable in my hand. I was impressed, even tho' I didn't want to be ;)

They put the Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS in a ransom rest. I agree most gun reviews these days are not very critical but I think it is a stretch to think they are fudging accuracy results.
I didn't mean to imply they were dishonest, but, having only briefly perused the article in question, it doesn't seem they compared it to anything other than itself with varying ammo. To prove it to be an improvement would require conducting the same test with an older Glock. Glocks have always been sufficiently accurate out of the box, at least for duty purposes.

TunnelRat: said:
There are ransom rest tests that you can view on YouTube. My own testing did show a difference for me personally. Is it massive? No, but it does seem to be there.

If you have no intention of doing either sight or trigger mods to a Glock and you want to run it out of the box stock, IMHO, and based on my favorable experience with my 19X, the Gen5 version is the way to go.

At one time I wanted to keep my Glock sights & triggers the way they came from the factory, but I’ve changed my mind on this. I have posted numerous times on TFL about the aftermarket sights & trigger on my Gen3 17 and I’m in the process of doing the same upgrades to my Gen3 19. And I would take this setup over any box stock Gen5 17.

The Ransom Rest testing of the Gen5’s may lend some credence to the claims of slightly better accuracy with the Marksman barrel used on the Gen5’s, but I can’t corroborate or dispute these claims.

If you have no intention of doing either sight or trigger mods to a Glock and you want to run it out of the box stock, IMHO, and based on my favorable experience with my 19X, the Gen5 version is the way to go.

At one time I wanted to keep my Glock sights & triggers the way they came from the factory, but I’ve changed my mind on this. I have posted numerous times on TFL about the aftermarket sights & trigger on my Gen3 17 and I’m in the process of doing the same upgrades to my Gen3 19. And I would take this setup over any box stock Gen5 17.

The Ransom Rest testing of the Gen5’s may lend some credence to the claims of slightly better accuracy with the Marksman barrel used on the Gen5’s, but I can’t corroborate or dispute these claims.
I've gone the route of doing upgrades. For my own reasons I prefer to keep things stock. Moreso I haven't found the stock triggers to be a problem for me personally and the improvements I've seen in the aftermarket options I tried didn't convince me to switch. Oftentimes the differences I find in triggers when dry firing or slow firing at the range disappear on timed drills. In that situation I end up being the limiting factor. I do think the Gen 5 Glocks have the better stock triggers, and the newer Gen 5 I have seems even better than the earlier one I have.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I switched from a S&W 642 to a Glock 26 for carry about 10 years ago due to capacity considerations. I like it, and it has been my primary carry pistol ever since, but I haven't bought any more Glocks. There have been other pistols that caught my fancy. The Glock has been reliable and accurate but not inspiring. I wouldn't part with it, but I don't really carry to buy another, either.

Little while back, after Gen 4 came out, decided to try out the new fangled plastic fantastic. Bought a G19 and starting shooting it. Had to manipulate my grip position to get clean break on trigger without the dreaded "sprong" throwing it off, but a lot of that is just poor technique. The trigger got progressively better with use/practice, and a storm lake barrel noticeably improved accuracy.

Found the glock 19 to be utterly reliable, excellent affordable mags and seemed to shoot "cleaner" than most. The best feature for me was the cheap plastic old man friendly sights with the large white outline. Found i could do my best impression of squatted arms locked forward fast style commando shooting, being able to see the white outline with progressive lenses.

Will not sell it, and liked it enough to buy a G42. The most functional 380 owned, and again with the old man sights. It doesn't like a weak grip, or weak loads.

The only real problem am having with the G19 is remembering to adjust my grip every time it is used. If just using a glock, this wouldn't be a problem.

My first center fire pistol I ever bought when I was old enough was a used G19 2nd gen. I swapped out to a 3.5lb trigger pull and a plug in the grip and have never had any problems with the gun. It is still one of my favorite guns and I have put many thousands of rounds through it and will always keep it.

I also have other Glocks but my 2nd gen 19 is my favorite.

While I carry a Glock 43, I think people should try the Walther PPQ before buying a Glock 19. The gun is basically the same size, but the trigger and the ergonomics are far superior. I got one for my sister and she loves it. Glocks can be improved, as I’ve done with my 43, but the Walther trigger is better than any striker fired gun that I’ve shot with the exception of the HK P7M8. The Walther brings different back straps which Glock started doing with the Gen 4 guns. I’m not knocking the Glock or trying to hijack the thread, but I think that the Walther deserves a look if you guys are in the market for a new gun.

stephen426, having never handled a Glock before this thread, I read a fair amount of both praise and criticism toward the design. I only got to fire a couple mags through it, so I didn't make a thorough evaluation, but my 1st impressions were favorable. Having said that, there are quite a few competitors out there for Glock and I wouldn't be doing myself any favors if I didn't get out there and try as many as I can. Currently, the Canik TP9SF Elite is on my radar.

I finally bought a Glock, a 19 Gen 5. Got it last year when they sold to vets at the police price. Fought the trigger for a year, took it to a Glock armorer where I bought the pistol. I had tried to do the .25 trigger job, tried a Ghost connector, replaced the trigger Ass'y, connector and the piece that holds the connector. I gave up, no way I could get a smooth trigger. The Armorer finally installed the trigger from his display gun in it and it made a big difference but it still isn't as smooth as I like. I don't hate Glock but I don't think it's for me.

Like the title says, I finally fired a Glock for the 1st time. It was a Glock 19x. My impressions were good, but I didn't throw all my other pistols in the trash and declare it(the Glock) the best.

What I gained from my 1st encounter was: I shot as accurately at 10-12 yards as all the 9mms I had more experience with. I didn't even notice the blade safety in the trigger. The trigger pull was.....I'll just say it wasn't bad...I'm not a trigger snob. It was comfortable in hand... I was at the range and can't say much about concealability.

Final determination: I liked it. Don't know if I'll persue it, but I liked it.

You really should try the 1911. It's sort of like the Glock, but for men.

You really should try the 1911.....
I'm sure I will some day. I haven't handled a gun I didn't like yet. But, if I decide to buy something like a 1911, I've already made up my mind that I want a SAR K2 45. I have experience with and I'm comfortable with the maker, like the look, and it has twice the capacity(of a 1911). But that's all if...

Since this thread is still alive, and I can't play outside today, I'll tell my experience.

In the late 80's I got a screamin' good deal on a SIG 226 9mm. Glocks were around but not as popular as they are today. Liked that SIG a lot, and when the time came to find something a little smaller, I got a SIG 239 because it was the same gun only smaller. The first time I fired a Glock was for my first CHL qualification in about 1997. We were at a range that the instructor had arranged for. They would not allow us to use our own guns. We had to use their Glock 17s. Their range masters even loaded the guns for us and placed them on the counter in front of us before each string of fire. The Glock I was given had a terrible trigger and just in general felt sloppy. I shot course just fine with it, but I didn't like the gun. I thought all Glocks must be like that one.

About 10 years later I was at a private range with a friend and a guy he knew was shooting with us. He had two Glocks - a 17 and a 26. We all swapped guns around and when I shot his Glocks I was very impressed. They were stock guns. I realized that the one I shot back in the 90s was just a crummy, worn out range gun. But, I still liked my SIGs and had holsters and extra mags and other accessories for them, so I stayed with SIG.

Then a couple of years ago I was looking for a .380. I knew then that Glock was a fine gun, and I bought a model 42. It's a great little gun that I carry often.

Still have the SIGs and don't plan on selling them, but I'm also very happy with my Glock. It just took 20 years for me to find one I wanted.

You really should try the 1911. It's sort of like the Glock, but for men.

...old men.

Who think that regurgitating senseless rhetoric about something subjective is still funny when the vultures who ate the dead horse have died too.

Better to be old and wise than young and dumb.:D:D:D

There's a long, long, long list of guns I would like to have...for no other reason than I want one. Now I can say the Glock has joined the list. I don't know where on the list it falls, but it's on there. If the right deal finds me at the right time, the rest will be history, but I'm not actively shopping for one right now.

Better to be old and wise than young and dumb
I'm happy where I'm at in the middle. I still feel mostly young, but I've lived enough to feel much wiser than the actual young people I encounter.;)

Back