Finally fired a Glock for the 1st time

GarandTd

Like the title says, I finally fired a Glock for the 1st time. It was a Glock 19x. My impressions were good, but I didn't throw all my other pistols in the trash and declare it(the Glock) the best.

What I gained from my 1st encounter was: I shot as accurately at 10-12 yards as all the 9mms I had more experience with. I didn't even notice the blade safety in the trigger. The trigger pull was.....I'll just say it wasn't bad...I'm not a trigger snob. It was comfortable in hand... I was at the range and can't say much about concealability.

Final determination: I liked it. Don't know if I'll persue it, but I liked it.

I resisted trying any Glock for 30 years but when I finally shot one I was pleasantly surprised. I could see why they were so popular - it wasn't the best pistol I ever fired but it was very shootable right out of the box.

The first Glock was a 19 with mods that raised the cost to over $700. It shot OK but not better than my SD9VE and I feel no need to get one. It just didn't feel right in my hand. I later bought a Taurus PT111-G2 which I like and shoot better. The SD9VE was $289 new and the PT111-G2 was $200.

Glocks for me have always been the most non-ergonomic series of pistols ever created - never wanted one and thought I never would own one.

That all changed when the single stack G42 , G43 and later G48 came out. Picked up a used G42 last year and then earlier this year my first ever brand new Glock - a G48.

buying a GLOCK was one of my best firearms experiences, they are even better than I expected!

the first gun I ever owned that was so reliably , it takes anything and asks for more

lightweight, easy maintenance, very few parts, lots of factory parts available cheap, great customer service, guarantee

the GLOCK is the most enjoyable gun to clean because it's so easy

the first handgun I ever owned that can shoot several bullets in the same ragged hole

Here we go..I wonder how many posts before this becomes a 'why I hate Glock' thread...

Owned S&W(2), Ruger LC9 and 2 Taurus..then went to the outdoor range with Oldest son and shot his G17...

fast forward to today...G17/4, G43, G42....add 2 son's Glocks-total of 7..reliable, accurate, feel good in our collective 'hands'...

Tried others..Sig, Taurus, M&P..even a Springfield, a Beretta and a CZ...

My daughter-in-law has a G19. I have fired it, and was able to compare it with my own XD9. I kept the XD9. Everyone's mileage varies, but I found the G19 less comfortable to hold and fire than the XD9.

D

I don't know why anyone would HATE an object. A Glock is a utilitarian tool that is usually reliable and used/owned by many, many firearms owners with a fantastic performance history. Never cared for them myself, have shot many, and I did enjoy shooting the G20.

To me, Glocks are the standard by which I measure other handguns. Is it fair? Probably not, but I've shot a Glock 19 longer than any other handgun. And while I've certainly shot nicer pistols, I've never shot a better one!

Glock sure seems to have attracted a lot of new fans with the Gen 5 Glocks. My only Glock is my Gen 2 Glock 19 that I bought new in the early 90s and is my main CCW pistol still. I am thinking of getting a Gen 5 also and if so it would be either the Glock 19 or Glock 45. I need to spend some time shooting both together. I prefer the size of the Glock 19 for CCW but the Glock 45 may work out well for colder weather carry. It seems the Glock 19X and 45 in particular really impress new shooters to Glock due to the longer no finger grooves grip and Glock 19 size slide but I have yet to experience for myself. I noticed my range recently added a Glock 45 for rental so I need to try one out soon.

I found the grip to be a little chunky much like a 2x4, but the grip angle was a non issue. I was impressed with how well I was able to shoot it on my 1st attempt and could only imagine how I could improve upon that with a little practice. I was using federal 115gr fmj and produced about a 2.5" group offhand at about 12 yards. I prefer a 6-o-clock hold and this particular pistol required I cover the target with the sights. I was satisfied with my group, but it was a tad low and left(about an inch).

To me a Glock is like a crescent wrench. You don't brag about it or show it off, you just pull it out of the tool box when you need to "wrench" things, which it always does. You pull out a Glock when you need to shoot something (be it a paper target, a steel silhouette, or a bad guy) which in my experience it always does.

The Glock is a tool, a very utilitarian tool.

Dave

It seems like improved accuracy with the Gen 5 Glock barrels per Glock's claims is a real thing. I ran across this American Rifleman review of the Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS and the accuracy results were impressive for a compact combat style pistol. Another reason why I am interested in a Gen 5 Glock 19 though I have not been disappointed with the accuracy I have seen from shooting my Gen 2 Glock 19 out to 75 feet. It really seems to like Federal American Eagle 147 gr.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/6/20/tested-glock-19-gen5-mos-fs-pistol/

Last edited:
Glock sure seems to have attracted a lot of new fans with the Gen 5 Glocks. My only Glock is my Gen 2 Glock 19 that I bought new in the early 90s and is my main CCW pistol still. I am thinking of getting a Gen 5 also and if so it would be either the Glock 19 or Glock 45. I need to spend some time shooting both together. I prefer the size of the Glock 19 for CCW but the Glock 45 may work out well for colder weather carry. It seems the Glock 19X and 45 in particular really impress new shooters to Glock due to the longer no finger grooves grip and Glock 19 size slide but I have yet to experience for myself. I noticed my range recently added a Glock 45 for rental so I need to try one out soon.
Get a G45, a G19 MOS, or wait for the front serrations slides to become the standard for Gen 5 (they're already shipping). These slides have an additional machined cut in the slide right in front of the breechface to the left (you can Google about it). The cut aides in holding the brass against the breechface. The end result is extraction and ejection that blows the previous generations away. I thought it might be a little better, but the difference is dramatic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It seems like improved accuracy with the Gen 5 Glock barrels per Glock's claims is a real thing. I ran across this American Rifleman review of the Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS and the accuracy results were impressive for a compact combat style pistol. Another reason why I am interested in a Gen 5 Glock 19 though I have not been disappointed with the accuracy I have seen from shooting my Gen 2 Glock 19 out to 75 feet. It really seems to like Federal American Eagle 147 gr.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/6/20/tested-glock-19-gen5-mos-fs-pistol/
You'll forgive my skepticism, but I wouldn't expect it to make that much of a difference, if any. Glocks have always been fairly accurate, and I don't notice any improvements from my gen 3 to gen 5 19, or my gen 4 to gen 5 17.

American Rifleman is like most of the other gun magazines in circulation today. They make their money by selling guns, not by providing objective analysis. I can't remember the last time I read anything more direct than oblique criticism.

You'll forgive my skepticism, but I wouldn't expect it to make that much of a difference, if any. Glocks have always been fairly accurate, and I don't notice any improvements from my gen 3 to gen 5 19, or my gen 4 to gen 5 17.

American Rifleman is like most of the other gun magazines in circulation today. They make their money by selling guns, not by providing objective analysis. I can't remember the last time I read anything more direct than oblique criticism.
There are ransom rest tests that you can view on YouTube. My own testing did show a difference for me personally. Is it massive? No, but it does seem to be there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back