Fighting Back for our gun rights

We must keep in mind that our message WILL be read by somebody at some point, and possibly read in a public forum. Therefore it is essential that we maintain a clear, sensible and dignified appearance (thus, publicity arising from this is most likely to sway, instead of put off, those on the frence on the issue). Lets look at something like this as a starting point:

"As a responsible and educated American citizen, I cherish my inalienable right to keep and bear arms, as recognized and guaranteed in the Second Amendment. Because your company publicly supports those who would deprive all Americans of the right to reasonably and lawfully defend themselves and their families, I cannot in good conscience consider your offer. Please be advised that this abstinance extends to your parent companies, subsidiaries, sponsors and advertisers."

The cards are roughly 4x6, so you can get a decent bit of info on them; we used the Avery laser-printer labels; set up one page and laser-print it, then just run the label sheets thru a copier and out they come, something like 20 per page - then it is just peel-n-stick, one sticker per card, and toss em in the nearest mailbox. No return address, nothing. Clean, simple, and to our target audience... VERY eye-catching.

Lets take a couple of cuts at editing this - my point is to avoid the stiff "pry my cold dead fingers off the barrel" posture from our position and state our stand as reasonable, educated and lawful. Anybody who has some suggestions, please take a swipe at it and post your thoughts.

We can also tailor a few different messages to target different areas - also good in the sense of Rob's valid concern of not appearing like a single group. One message, sent to orgs that market primarily to women, might rightly point out that due to traditional criminal violence stats, women are disproportionately victimized in acts of violent crime, and given the othet traditional stat that bad guys are generally larger and stronger, a firearm represents the only really effective means a woman has to fend off a violent attack, etc. This would give us several "blocks" of messages yet still retain the ease-of-deployment thru photocopied sticker sheets.

Michael..

Good point about about depriving women of effective means of self-defense.

I think also, without sounding too preachy and shrill, a short line or two delineating the racist aspect of gun control should be included.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

I like it! :) I like it! :)
May I suggest adding "to the Constitution of the United States of America", and adjusting the reformat to improve readability (space permitting)?

* As a responsible and educated American citizen, I cherish my inalienable right to keep and bear arms, as recognized and guaranteed in the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America.

* Because your company publicly supports those who would deprive all Americans of the right to reasonably and lawfully defend themselves and their families, I cannot in good conscience consider your offer.

* Please be advised that this abstinance extends to your parent companies, subsidiaries, sponsors and advertisers."

------------------
Regards,
~Douglas in CT :)

[This message has been edited by Douglas in CT (edited February 24, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Douglas in CT (edited February 24, 1999).]

Looking good gang, the "Constitution" reference is a nice touch, thanks!

As to an earlier comment re "banners" - that could be something, but we need to be careful on a couple of points:

First: we cannot use any imagery, logos, etc that are proprietary - we do not want to run the risk of an "illegal use" and we also do not want someone to confuse our point for an endorsement.

So what kind of banners COULD we run that would "anti-promote" a company WITHOUT bringing attention to them? Perhaps we come up with a name / logo for this campaign and THAT is what is bannered? We could set up a single page that details the program, free of charge, and banner links to that page so any pro-gunners could find it? What do you all think...?

On my website I have a list of anti-gun organizations, outfits and personalities that I lifted from the NRA.

Come up with a name for our "promotional organization" and I'll fiddle around with some graphics

The banner anti-campaign is simple. We avoid using proprietary trademarks and simply display the company's name with a red slash thru it. This is a universally understood symbol. Text under the banner would read "Why boycott SaraLee?", for instance.

Clicking on the banner would provide information on the company's firearms position and an automatic email link to voice your disapproval. (Not an alternative to the reply cards, but an adjunct).
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited February 24, 1999).]

Yes, I want to stand-up for my rights to!

The adversaries are looking pretty organized. If you do a search for "anti-gun", you will get plenty of responses. Here are a couple sites that list organizations, publications, and people that are anti-gun. Most have e-mail or "snail mail" addresses that you can use to contact them and "thank them" for thier support of anti-gun issues.

www.mjcnet.com/anti-gun/anti-gun.htm
www.bitsnet.com/agca

So you see, you can use the anti-gunners database to find out who you need to wite to, or boycott, because of their activities to strip us of our RKBA's.

Yeah...but the one organization that has no electronic contact (e-mail and....) is HCI. I have always been intrigued by this ;)

Just for a goof I tried to trace them (to get a Whois,DNS, server, etc)....They block themselves from the last node! I can only conclude that they are very afraid of getting hacked. And, perhaps, their server doesn't want any backlash.

------------------

OK, here is one for you industrious types to track down - the Federal Election Commission (FEC) requires extensive reporting requirements for monies collected and expended with respect to specific campaigns (e.g. congressional elections, etc). Much of the specific information of who gave how much to whom (HCI gives Kennedy X$) is available at the cost of just a little elbow grease / web searching. Lets get a volunteer to go out and develop a list re HCIs donor and recipients (as well as Coalition for Handgun Violence and other similar orgs).

If ANYBODY can come up with an email for HCI, that would be intriguing - lets keep snooping. I suppose one angle would simply be to call their office and find a name there, try till you get a secretary and ask "hey I need to send Bob and email - can you give me an address?" - most times that works. How about sbrady@hci.org or something similar. I'll bet a little persistence will work fine.

As to "where to get the stickers" - we went really low tech - we went to Office Depot or Staples and got Avery Laser Printer Labels - 20 per page in the 2x4 inch variety. We formatted our text to line up with the labels in the same matrix and printed away - anybody can do it!

I'll work some more on the banner thoughts, the "universal NO" may be a start, but lets see if we can't come up with something a bit more cohesive.

Great going gang!
Mike

Registrant:
Handgun Control, Inc. (HANDGUNCONTROL-DOM)
1225 Eye Street, NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005

Domain Name: HANDGUNCONTROL.ORG

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Mains, John (JM5590) jmains@INTERMARKET.COM
7033527789 (FAX) 7036919811
Billing Contact:
Mains, John (JM5590) jmains@INTERMARKET.COM
7033527789 (FAX) 7036919811

Record last updated on 14-Feb-99.
Database last updated on 24-Feb-99 05:21:31 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.DYNAMICWEB.NET 207.153.200.214
NS2.DYNAMICWEB.NET 207.153.200.215

The InterNIC Registration Services database contains ONLY
non-military and non-US Government Domains and contacts.
Other associated whois servers:
American Registry for Internet Numbers - whois.arin.net
European IP Address Allocations - whois.ripe.net
Asia Pacific IP Address Allocations - whois.apnic.net
US Military - whois.nic.mil
US Government - whois.nic.gov

Like I said..I can track HCI to the last node before them.

Just tossing this out, what if we contacted that last node (its a large "Digital Distribution Company" with major l customers) with stuff for HCI.....maybe we could flush something loose? Anyway its a thought.. ;)

------------------

I am posting this purely for information purposes. Any attempt to badger somebody would likely be considered harassment. However, placing a single call or dropping a single email to anyone is not, to my knowledge, anything more than free speech.

The designers and administrative contact for Handgun Control Inc. website is :

Internet Home Page Dev Consulting
Intermarket Associates 703-352-7789
3950 Chain Bridge Rd Fl 3
Fairfax, VA

Mains, John Paul
Fairfax, VA, US
Email@intr.net

Company contact Information
info@intermarket.com
http://www.imac.net/
Northern Virginia
3950 Chain Bridge Rd.
Fairfax, VA 22030
703-352-7789 (voice)
703-691-8911 (fax)

Toll Free
(888) 330-IMAC
(888) 330-4622

Washington, DC
1875 Conn. Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20009
202-232-6541 (voice)
202-745-0215 (fax)

InterMarket Portfolio of Clients

Commercial Clients
1 Ogden Corporation www.ogden.com
2 Darrell Green Enterprises www.darrellgreen.com
3 DC's Career Center www.dc-online.com/career
4 CyberCable of Loudoun www.cybercable.com
5 Towers Crescent www.towerscrescent.com
6 OEC Engineering www.oecengineering.com
7 Pro-Type Engineering www.pro-type.com
8 The Monthly Buzz www.monthlybuzz.com
9 AAA Recycling www.aaarecycletrash.com
10 The Rendon Group www.rendon.com
11 Shack Events www.shackevents.com
12 Lantz Construction www.lantz-inc.com
13 Eyedea Brand www.eyedea.com
14 Sales Results www.salesresults.com
15 Self-Certs www.self-certs.com
16 Webco Group Partnership www.webcogp.com
17 Podesta Associates www.podesta.com
18 Washington Bike Center
19 Eastlaw
20 Interscience

Intranet Clients
1. AT&T
2. Aruba Ministry of Education
3. US Postal Service
4. MCI
5. Ogden CorporationAssociations

Government & Non-Profit Clients
1. Fairfax County Economic Development Authority www.fairfaxcountyeda.org
2. National Association of Secondary School Principals www.nassp.org
3. American Massage Therapy Association www.amtamassage.org
4. Handguncontrol Inc. www.handguncontrol.org
5. American Public Health Association www.apha.org
6. Satellite Broadcasting and Communications Association www.sbca.com
7. Satellite Industry Association www.sia.org
8. Global Climate Coalition www.globalclimate.org
9. The Chlorine Insitute www.cl2.com
10. HSIA www.hsia.org
11. Cable Telecommunications Association www.catanet.org
12. IDR Associates www.idrassociates.org
13. The Washington Campus www.washcampus.edu
14. Computer Systems Policy Project www.cspp.org
15. Creative Incentive Coaltion www.ciconline.org
16. Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation www.vvaf.org
17. Darrell Green Youth Life Foundation www.dgylf.com
18. BusinessLINC businesslinc.sba.gov

Well ya'll can count me in on this!! If my web space can be of any use I will gladly offer it up. I am in the process of building a "News" page that will have gun control issues as the main topic. I am very encouraged by the brain stroming going on.

J.Miller

Count me in. I think this is a great idea.

I am feed up with these bleeding heart societies myself.

I also urge anyone in Kansas to contact Gov. Graves www.ink.org and express your support for concealed carry. The issue is back on the burner. I already have. He will even send you a nice formal letter back in reply. The only way to change his mind on the issue is through public opinion.

Would it be illegal to contact and request printed material that the Anti Gun organizations have on hand? And when I say request, I mean ask for boxes of it as much as you can get. It costs money to ship and print it. If someone else suggested this above, sorry, I didn't read all the threads.

[This message has been edited by MarkW (edited February 26, 1999).]

Hmmmm "ordering without intent to consume"? Y'know, that is probably a very interesting thought. If a company was giving away a free PRODUCT, it is up to them to set their own limits (one per customer, please). If not, it would certainly not be illegal to simply ASK for more. One could argue it is a "proactive recycling" effort designed to save the environment from excessive waste paper... :)

It sounds like a matter of finesse; if you ask for a million flyers they either peg you as insincere, or as their new campaign manager and show up on your door with Brady buttons and balloons. But as long as you are simply requesting info, I cannot see how they can refuse or infer misdoing. Your address would be put on their mailing list, so all of their cronies, er, supporters businesses would mail stuff to you to - in fact a great deal of resource-devouring attention would likely be focussed on you.

Now if they ever sat back and felt their largesse was being taken advantage of, what would they do. They would have to cut back their own mailings and give-aways, reducing their own channel's access to free / readily available materials.

Y'know... I must admit that it has been a while since I have seen the real platform of HCI in print, I suppose I owe it to myself to do due diligence and carefully review the position of my political opponent. I don't see how I can AVOID having to have them send me some stuff. Darn good idea MarkW!

Re the offer of webspace by J. "Tactical" Miller - another good idea. As great as TFL is, if we replicate certain info (the summarized, refined versions) on a hundred other sites, it will make it much easier to get the word out to a wider audience. Imagine easily-downloadable PDF files with the sticker-formatted messages (including the mfr & model of the stickers they are set for) - talk about a one-stop shop to help citizens express their views.

Somebody look into Office Depot and Staples, as well as Avery (or alt label co, Avery is simply the biggest I know of) and find out if they have any anti-gun background. If not, we might even see what kind of online ordering they have and help folks get the supplies they need to carry on.

How are we doing on the list of major publishing sponsors of anti-gun causes? Anybody making any headway compiling a thoughtful and accurate list to post here?

Looking at the InterMarket list - does anybody have a really good line of contact (I know the President) kind of thing with any of the companies on the list? First and foremost we should make a simple and considerate attempt to convey our position and concerns to senior management; maybe they will suprise us and say "Wow - HCI? Well I don't want to be a partner to THAT!"

Also, I believe the Darryl Green foundation is involved with charity efforts for sick or underprivlidged kids - we don't have nearly enough of that kind of activity and I think there are so many "big bad fish" to focus our attention on that we leave DG with our best wishes and let them get on with a good work. We are looking at heavy commercial interests and I think it would speak well of all of us to take the noble high ground when it comes to charities for kids. Lets all keep in mind we are doing this to save lives and make a better America; a thoughtfulness that will probably go far to win the hearts and minds of others.

Found Avery's sites. Www.avery.com is the commercial site and www.avery.nl is the corporate site. The closest contact that seems correct is comments to the press. I have drafted a short letter and would appreciate any feedback before e-mailing.

Dear Sirs;
I am working with a group that wishes to purchase self-adhesive labels and we would prefer to purchase our supplies from companies and/or corporations that have socio-political views similar in line with ours. Does your company currently have on file a statement of the corporate stance on firearms and firearm laws as pertains to the United States consumer at large.
I thank you for your rapid resonse.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited February 25, 1999).]

This is my very first post so it is unfortunate that it may not be especially popular...

Reading this thread and wondering where to target this 'buisiness reply post-card campaign', my thoughts turned immediately to some of the very magazines that most of us browse through regularly.

"Guns and Weapons for Military and Law Enforcement (only?)", "S.W.A.T.", and several others of this type. I doubt Sarah Brady could have put it better herself.

To someone who takes the intentions of this Nation's founders as seriously and literally as I do, those titles and their content rub me wrong! It is disgusting that these publications, marketed very much at us mere, un"privileged" civilians, would sell us the notion that machine gun toting policemen dressed in fatigues are "cool". Subtly desensitizing less perceptive readers to the horrors of a police state and reminding us all that these brave men are bearing the burden of high capacity mags(and the like) so that we don't have to.

I'll take HCI's laughable drivel any day over these wolves-in-sheeps-clothing and I invite you to join me in telling them so.

[This message has been edited by Jordan (edited February 26, 1999).]

I wonder how cops feel about being viewed as a good source of decent equipment (i.e not crippled low-cap magazines) but the rest of the population?

Seriously, given that different people come to a boiling point at different times, the current gradual escalation seems unstoppable...imagine Soviets invading Eastern Europe over a thrity year peoriod rather than overnight. I do not think that martial law in 2000 would serve anybody's needs, as we are in the bag already.

Back