Federal .380 ACP 99gr HST in Clear Ballistics Gel.

Just like I said. Flat surface doesn't do anything in anything below 44mag. And it has to be a hot 44mag (rifle fired) to start doing what you think it does.
Are you seriously going to keep insisting that the entire ammunition making world is wrong about trying to make bullets that have expanding fronts?

After all - what is the face of an expanded bullet - but flat?

& why? Because it works.

I'm sorry but - this is too ridiculous for any further back and forth.

Hollow points don't expand because they are flat....

It's the cavity.

The hollow point is good because it slows the bullet down while expanding.

A flat full metal jacket doesn't expand.

So you're a bit off here.

We are talking about a flat metplat causing more destruction. Both your link and mine show they do, ONLY in rifle rounds with a (flat) metplat surface starting at the entire width of 9mm. They do nothing in handgun ammunition. Nothing. All that internet myth.

The discussion concerns this ammo fired in a pocket pistol and it's performance.

There are some CCW individuals who for one reason or another are restricted to the size of a pocket .380, only.

This ammo appears to be a good compromise.

I always thought that the appeal of flat-nosed bullets in handgun cartridges was that they were more likely to punch through barriers and bone than be deflected off in another direction.

I give up - - if you can't see the relationship between the flat face of an expanded bullet and a flat meplat - I can't fathom what in the hell you are rambling on about.....

hal:

The link wcm posted is in contradiction to his posts here and supportive of the position that larger meplat lead to greater terminal effect and straighter tracking through critter, even with non-rifle rounds. I agree, I think he is confused.

I'll bow out, too.

Back