Federal 30S Super carry, new cartridge

:eek:
If its running at rifle pressures, none of the standard duty class pistol will handle it, and I shudder to think about compacts...:rolleyes:

Shouldn’t be an issue at all. The 50,000 psi will be acting on a case head with a much smaller surface area than that of a 9mm, more or less fully offsetting the effect of the greater peak pressure (especially in the case of 9mm +P and +P+ rounds). Both .40 S&W and .357 SIG will be much harder on pistols of equivalent size. And, if chambered in barrels with the same external dimensions as any of these calibers, the .30SC barrel will have much more steel surrounding the cartridge.

Regardless, it doesn’t interest me at all.

I wonder if they can squeeze 20+1 rounds into something the size of a G19?

The cartridge is about 14% smaller, give or take. So, a 15-round 2-stack magazine still takes 2 extra rounds. Note that stuffing 12 rounds of 30SC into a 10-round 9mm magazine is not possible without tricks. The carridges are still a tiny little bit too thick for that. It's even visible in Federal's videos where they show 2 stacks of cartridges side by side. Be as it may, one has to work with a 24-round magazine before 4 extra rounds can be gained.

Note, however, that because G48 magazine is not a true dual stack (as evident from the existence of a Shield Arms magazine), the G48 can gain more than the above calculation suggests. The smaller brass of G48 may turn it into a true double stack gun.

But for most other pistols, the advantage for 30SC is very small. The realization of that fact is going to be the round's chief downfall.

Back