Feasibility of a swappable barrel rifle

Thank you for sharing, Scorch! That is a really impressive piece of custom building. Is the barrel just attached with interrupted threads and a retaining lug of some kind? How is the recoil plate/lug attached to the receiver?

No interrupted threads. I used a coupling plate with a lock screw to align the barrel. The action is a CZ 550, so the recoil lug is part of the action.

The cost of building a true switch barrel platform with acceptable accuracy will most likely exceed the cost of multiple rifles in the same calibers as the switch barrel.

I got a 500 S&W magnum Handi rifle afew years ago and go and had it with a 20 gauge and a 30-30 barrel. I found the switch barrel capability essentually useless.

The cost of building a true switch barrel platform with acceptable accuracy will most likely exceed the cost of multiple rifles in the same calibers as the switch barrel.

Blaser is the standard nowadays

not only is the accuracy acceptable but rather phenomenal tbh, and the benefit of shooting with the same stock, trigger and so on

And yeah you americans have very low prices on your own brands and better gun laws so you don't need multiple calibres in each rifle

even a savage axis is a 600dollar rifle here

blasers sellng point beside the barrel change and straight pull is that the scope stays on the barrel

that removes one error margin in the barrel swap so look into that?

The merkel helix is another cool option to look at, that is no-tool takedown/barrel swap

Gunsmithing student?

I have several switchbarrel rifles and it is very easy and feasible.

Real easy to switchbarrel any pushfeed. Rem 700 can be headspaced by using the recoil lug. Model 70 or Mauser crf might need the extractor cut-out timed.

Not like you have to torque the hell out of a switchbarrel. Even hand tight will work.

The ultimate rig will have a standard and magnum bolt(s). Sako and Winchester 70 bolts are machined very uniformly. Usually no problems to address when swapping. Hard to find push feed extractors these days though. Easy bolt to swap with the mid-safety FP removal feature. Lots of ways to configure one receiver as many rifles.

Lots of options. Lots of hardly used barrels out there that might be reamed to a larger case diameter, or buy blanks. Nice to own a Brownells action wrench and a barrel vise to handle initial removal chores. Amazing how some of the factory barrels were attached with seemingly tons of torque. And then there's the press-fit barrel rifles like from Steyr. If you love Steyr, just thread the receiver and you're in business.

Another vote for the SIG SHR 970. It requires the action to be removed from the stock to change barrels as opposed to Scorch's two piece stock design.

Dont forget the venerable old rem760/7600 either

Leupold qr bases and two scopes and you are set

True up the action and it might hold zero

Browning also have a pumprifle the bpr but dunno if the barrels are removable akin to the 760

Back