Feasibility of a swappable barrel rifle

No tool switch barrel rifles are ugly. I have several rifles that it only takes me 15 minutes to switch the barrels on. I have a Rem 700 that I do not even have to take out of the stock. Grab it with the barrel vise, take one barrel off, put another on. Of course I had to set head space in the lathe the first time, but after it is on one time, it is going back to the same place every time. If you doubt it, use an index line.

A Savage is much harder to repeatedly switch barrels on than is a 700 or 70. You can set head space without a lathe or reamer on the Savage. It is much easier to switch pre head spaced barrels back and forth on pretty much anything but a Savage. Why? You have to mess with head space EVERY time you put a barrel on a Savage.

There seems to be confusion between "Take down" guns and "Take apart" guns.
I agree! Sounds like most people on here have never seen a switch barrel rifle. But there are plenty of opinions nonetheless!

15 minutes and a big wrench. I have a half a dozen Savage model 99's that are factory take down models and I never heard anyone say they are ugly. I have to agree about the newer single shots. They tried to go "Modern" looking and took ugly to a new level.
It seems quite a few people still do not understand the concept of a take down rifle. They originally were designed for ease of transportation. Same with bows. Additional limbs for bows came later. Extra barrels were kind of hokey too. Thinking back, the only American push for multiple barrel guns I can think of were single shot shot guns that came with a rifle barrel too. A good idea way before it's time. The American idea of multiple caliber guns is the cartridge adapter. Remember the adds in the back of OUTDOOR LIFE magazine? Shoot .308 in your 30.06! Shoot .32's in your 12 gage! It is a very small market in the U.S.

Would it be easier to switch barrels in rim fire chamberings? You wouldn't have to worry with headspacing issues as much right?

Since you are talking Project AND have access to a machine shop... Look at the SIG SHR970 and how they did it.

I have Barrels in 280 Rem and 30-06. If I swap bolts and mags.. I have 300WM. I missed on getting 25-06 and 7MM Mag barrels. If I could find a 9.3 x 62 barrel I would scoop it up in a heart beat.

Make a mini action clone....and a second bolt for .378 dia. cartridges.

Just a wild thought.

The reason true "switch barrel" rifles cost so much is the requirement for additional fitting to achieve ease of conversion, consistent accuracy, and function with multiple barrels.
Heck, I can lay a Savage 10/110 on the table with a couple of extra barrels, barrel nut wrench, action wrench, and headspace gauge(s) and call it a "SWITCH BARREL" but it won't be.

you might also look at what Dan Wesson did in the 70's with the 15-2 or the 44mag pistols and are now doing on the 715 pistol. They made barrels out to 15" short of a rifle I know but the same type of barrel may have other benefits.

How do I know switch caliber systems aren't worth it in the US legal environment? Look at how many designs are listed and how many people here actually own one! This place is full of serious collectors/enthusiasts and almost no one has one. I have an Encore, but outside wildcats I am totally unconvinced it makes any sense.

I do have an idea that might help and will send you a PM about it.

It makes sense with older rifles. I have an old .303 Savage T/D. Up until about ten years ago, you could not get brass for it. I made a 7-30 Waters barrel up and was using that. I wanted to keep it original because it is in nice shape. I got to shoot it and kept it original. I could have easily made up a 30-30 barrel for it, but already have one.
I have had Type II guns and still have about 3/4 of one. If I want, I can make up a spare barrel in 8x57, 7x57, .257, or anything that will fit in the magazine well and into the bolt face without modification. A lot cheaper to shoot than 7.7x58 ammo. T/D's have their uses at times other than being able to stick them in your back pack. Both the models I mentioned break down in a few minutes with no tools other than what is on the gun.

I personally love the idea of swapping barrels, ect.. on one platform w bolt action and have the TC Dimension rifle. Fantastic shooter in my 308. Great write up / review on gun on gunsermerreports.com. Great vids and reviews on U tube ect..
We are getting another B series barrel in 22 250 and don't have to change the bolt or mag to do so. Change barrel in 10mins, easy to zero in and the R5 rifling in their barrels is excellent as have consistent 1" groups at 100yrds and 2" groups at 300yrds from bench or off bi pod. Can't ask for more than that w a non custom shop gun IMHO.

Spoke w TC today as this got me thinking about barrels I may want to add and they are introducing a 6.5 Creedmore barrel for the TC rifles including the Dimension model (The B series group) so looks like I need to save another $200 for that barrel.

That is really no different than the interrupted thread set up on a 99 Savage. I did not see any sights on that barrel. Are you going to keep a spare "Take-down scope", or try to keep a dope sheet on the clicks between barrels? You are pretty much tied to open sights. It will start to get complicated after that.

Contender Carbine,
But I don't even swap my Contender barrels out because I use Bellm over size pivot pins. Gives me an excuse to buy more guns!:) Design a "new" snap-on fore end (they made one for pistols back in the day) for the T/C and you just removed the need for any tools needed.

Hey, I am glad you guys resurrected this zombie thread. I was supposed to upload a picture of a swap barrel rifle I built for a customer last year. So here it is.

0220161646a_zpsos876nep.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As you can see, the HS Precision rifle uses much the same method. And no, it has nothing to do with TC Contenders or Savage rifles with barrel nuts. This is a real swap barrel rifle in the tradition of the finest Griffin & Howe or Holland & Holland or Rigby rifles. One action, several barrels, 2-3 minutes to swap barrel and scopes. The advantage is that many African countries limit you to 2 or 3 firearms when you enter the country on a guided hunt. This way, you can have your small, medium, and dangerous game rifles covered, and be able to bring in a shotgun for birds as well. This rifle is chambered for 416 Rigby, and a 9.3mm on a Rigby case. Two scopes, two barrels, one action.

Back