Favorite woods revolver

My Rough Rider 22 always comes to the woods with me. It's tied with my MkIII Ruger 22/45 Target for best accuracy. One day I'd like to get a 4"+ 357mag. It would serve as a woods gun as well.

Great thread !!! Alot of different options.. for alot of different areas and uses !!!

Charter 6 shot 357 mag 3 inch barrel 27 oz

Can’t git the pic to upload at this time .. just imagine a butt ugly revolver

Last edited:
I live in SE Ohio, Appalachia hill country. A good accurate 22 is all that is required for a woods gun. Inaccurate pistols are no good for anything. I have looked for the perfect country western woods gun for years. To start with this is a gun you carry while in woods and not engaged in hunting. For plinking, varmits, ect. Not to heavy or bulky to restrict whatever activity you are engaged in. I found after many years the best I found was S&W 422, 4” 22 auto. I can hit a beer can at 50’ with it more times than not.

Mine is an old Single Six, only thing I've ever used it on was a few rattlesnakes, a skunk and at least one bunny.

Could someone provide the definition and differences between:

a) Woods Gun
b) Trail Gun
c) Kit Gun

I'm getting a bit confused on what I should carry foe each description word since definitions change so quickly in this age of political correctness . . . plus I'm just getting old. :-)

a) woods gun....protection from big teeth big wild critters:eek:
b) trail gun.....fun gun to plink with while on the trail:)
c) kit gun....a all purpose (of the above) that you can throw in a tackle box and not worry too much about it....should be light though.
;)
But of course you can carry a or b in your "kit" and then either would be a kit gun.:D

In the old days, a .22 smith revolver was called a "kit gun" because you could use it for survival, shooting little critters for food to survive.........if you didn't get eaten first by big teeth wild critters!:eek:

Last edited:
Frankly, I can never really decide what to take on hikes. If I think about it too hard I'll end up taking several which really isn't a good thing on a hike unless you're taking the hike with a pack mule.

p3733233041-4.jpg

woods handgun

Mine is a Smith model 57; .41Mag that I load with .41 Specials as well.

I've taken many hogs with this wheel gun and absolutely love the caliber as well.

Taurus Judge Magnum
attachment.php

It can chamber/fire both .45 Long Colt and .410 Bore 3" Shotshells in its massive cylinder, making it extremely versatile and capable of dealing with practically anything one might encounter in the woods.

Attachments

• Taurus_Judge_Magnum+Buck_120.jpg
    Taurus_Judge_Magnum+Buck_120.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 2,303
Last edited:
Without having to justify it,"Just cuz" My Ruger Blackhawk 44 spl Lipsey Special" 4 5/8 in Bisley.

No doubt a case can be made for a Glock 20,etc. I can't argue.

The single action wheel gun just feels familiar. It will do.

Its NOT my civilization carry choice.

NAA Black Widow in .22 WMR. First round is snake shot, the rest are Speer Gold Dots. I also bring the spare .22 LR cylinder and some super-quiet Colibri ammo for plinking.

I do have a s&w 617 6 inch, and a gp100 4 inch, but they’re both heavy for lugging around in the woods all day. I carry my lcp or pico when on the trails, nice and light/concealed. I have been looking at the Charter Arms Bulldog classic maybe for a woods gun for the future.

Back