Favorite woods revolver

I used to carry lcr 38 but have since bought a Rock island 1911 in 10mm that I will be carrying in a alien gear chest rig. I was really going back and forth between the 8 shot redhawk in 357 and the 10mm , but since I have 4 357’s didn’t own a semi I figured why not. I know I know it’s favorite wood revolver ..

Mine is a 2 3/4" SS Security Six. In the interest of saving a few ounces, I'll likely be migrating to a 4" SP101.

I don't get out into the woods much anymore, but when I did, my favorite "bumming" gun was a High Standard Sentinel 22 revolver with a 4" barrel. With it's alloy frame, in an Uncle Mikes Sidekick holster it was light as a feather. Toss a handful of 22's into an Uncle Mikes ammo pouch and I was good for a days bumming around the woods.

Mine is a 4", adjustable sight 44 Special Charter Arms Target Bulldog. It's been finished in GunKote and is loaded with Buffalo Arms 200 grain wadcutters.

Very light and potent package.
BUxhmLV.jpg

My ultimate woods gun would be an S&W 329 PD, but they were about $1000 more than the Charter.

Taurus 415
.41 magnum, snub-nose 2.5 inch barrel, stainless steel.
Stainless is important as some of that woods time is in/near natural hot springs and moisture/corrosion resistance is desirable.
And all the other revolvers are much heavier.

2.75" Model 66, mostly because I can easily load rattler rounds.

In wilderness areas when there's a good chance of crossing paths with a mean critter, a Springfield Armory TRP .45 ACP.

I have several woods/trail guns. I will list them in order of preference.

Ruger Single Six 32 mag. I have two of them with 5.5" barrels and adjustable sights.

S&W model 36-6 38 Special 3" barrel and adjustable sights.

Ruger Single Six in 22/22 mag.

Ruger standard model 22 auto. I have both 4" and 6" barrels.

I am far more interested in trail guns over guns for SD. When I started buying guns in the early 1980s there were lots of articles about trail guns in the gun magazines. Not so much anymore. It seems no one wants anything but SD handguns now. I guess people don't get out in the woods much anymore.:(

My woods gun is normally a 642 or a 60 that's in my pocket loaded with wadcutters. My only concern in the woods would be a venomous snake, a pest or finishing a wounded animal.

I have carried this model 629-1 on every hunting trip/woods/desert excursion since I purchased it brand new in 1983.

I guess people don't get out in the woods much anymore.

With Covid currently dictating field trips, many people are starting to learn the value in getting out of their hovels and scouting around the boonies on a little hike/field trip.

Nothing quite like packin a .22 for those kinds of little outdoor expeditions.

My Favorite Woods Gun is a RIA M200. That thing has proven itself tough as nails to say the least. I bought it specifically for the woods. I have since liked it so much I bought its little brother too the M206. I was really beating up my Smith and I wasn't happy about it, so I got the RIA.

I rotate through depending on what woods I am in. Lately i find myself with the S&W 329PD a lot. I also have a 4 inch Astra NC-6 that is probably my favorite wooded gun for places without too much threat from bears. I’ll also do a S&W 442 or a Ruger SP101 or a S&W 627 depending on what strikes my fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have several also but my Dan Wesson model 15, and my Pietta 1858 NMA with 5" barrel and converted to .45 Colt, seem to accompany me more than others.

Ruger New Model Blackhawk .45Colt, 7.5" barrel.

Way I see it, if you're gonna pack a gun in the woods, might as well pack a real one....:rolleyes:

When I went backpacking, I usually carried 'two' guns. A .22LR in the pack for some plinking (a couple boxes of ammo hardly weighs anything) and a big bore that stayed on the hip. Never did fire the big bore SA on those wilderness trips thankfully! But was a comfort.

My needs vary here on a KY farm...fall when there's a slim possibility that I'll see a legal deer inside 35 yds while tending to our firewood needs, I'll strap on one of my .44's...Rugers for the most part but with two Smiths, too. My M69 is virtually the same weight as my M66 & 19's...about 38 oz's, and downright comfortable to carry. With 240 gr XTP's at 1150 fps, it's a good short range deer gun. I do carry it as such, too. pic sharing

But for most of the year, I like something a bit more easy on my arthritic hands and wrists: a Ruger .32 H&R Single Six fills the bill admirably...or the Smith M19 with tgt level WC's in the chambers. Or that M18 Smith .22...a "K" frame that's just plain fun with it's superb DA & SA triggers and outstanding accuracy.

Walking the dog: gotta love an old Colt Police Positive in .32 Long in an easy to tote OWB holster. Or maybe my newest whim; a Smith M63 in .22 LR...great accuracy, but it may have to go back 'cause it's spitting lead out the left side.
image hosting

Lots of choices now in my dotage...time to lay in a winter's supply of well seasoned ash, and ponder the futures of my granddaughters...what'll they need in the way of shootin' irons. Barbi Dolls, hell...they'll need fire-power!

Best Regards, Rod

Back