Favorite slang gun terms?

M3

My big bro had an M3 in his Huey. He called it his "grease gun."

A bunch of us muzzleloader buds were standing around waiting to take our shot at a gong when one in the group said he'd just got a Sharps. Another bud said, "when did ya start shootin' those suppository guns?" "They'll never catch on." We had a good laugh on that one.

The M3/M3A1 SMG has been the "grease gun" since they were first issued, in WWII. Other than the magazine sticking out, it looks a LOT like the standard automotive grease gun used at the time, and still in use today.

Jeff Cooper referred to the M16 as a "poodle shooter" on numerous occasions. I believe his reasoning was based on the cartridge, which in the civilian world was a varmint round, suitable for shooting "pasture poodles" (prairie dogs, etc.)

The modern military had a different opinion.

When I saw "Potato digger," it made me think of another one; the Type 92 heavy machine gun, a.k.a., "The Woodpecker."

If I am talking about my CCW w/ the wifey in-public, it is my "Mexican Express".

If talking about a gun to another copper, it is my "blaster".

Being old fashion I dislike 95% of commonly used terms. "Roscoe"; nope, I know a dog named "Roscoe".

"Piece" as in show your piece, carrying a piece, etc.

"Heat" as in packing heat.

"Flintlock"/"caplock" as in I hunt with a flintlock/caplock.

In Appalachia a single shot shotgun is called a poke stalk.

Once when I was negotiating the price of a pistol at a pawn shop. I said “and they’re 20% off this week.” The woman said “what are you talking about 20% off”? I pointed to the sign on my side of the counter that said “ All heaters 20% off this week”. Lame, I know.

My Grandfather had a Model 97 Winchester 12 ga., now passed on to me. My Dad and his brothers all called it 'Old Kaschlitickerschlot' because of the sound it made when pumped.

Ham Sandwich

- the term for a spare handgun, carried by police, used to "plant evidence" on a person that was shot by the L.E.O. without justification

my wife will ask if I brought my friends with me if we are out in public. And I reply, yep all 13.

Haha some of these are pretty funny. We get alot of people who come into our LGS where I work not too far from super liberal Boulder, Colorado. Sometimes whenpeople walk in the door they say "Oh, they have guns!"in a weird voice like they are afraid as they spot the racks of about 250 rifles and shotguns and cases of about 200 handguns. The first thing I say to them is "yep, we got guns, heaters, burners, 9s, pieces and gats...whatever you want to call em!" They don't usually stick around long.

blackwidowp61 said:
"Punt gun" isn't a slang term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_gun

A punt gun is a type of extremely large shotgun used in the 19th and early 20th centuries for shooting large numbers of waterfowl for commercial harvesting operations. These weapons are characteristically too large for an individual to fire from the shoulder or often carry by themselves, but unlike artillery pieces, punt guns are able to be aimed and fired by a single man from a mount. In this case, the mount is typically a small watercraft. Many early models appear similar to over-sized versions of shoulder weapons of the time with full-length wooden stocks with a normal-sized shoulder stock. Most later variations do away with the full-length stock--especially more modern models--and have mounting hardware fixed to the gun to allow them to be fitted to a pintle.

Back