Favorite slang gun terms?

I liked "heater" from old gangster movies, and "firestick" that was a term a Native American used from some old Western I saw a thousand years ago. And didn't Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies say to Jed "git yer shootin' iron"?

One of my favorites: Quad Fifty, It was a gun truck we had in Nam as part of our security which had a WWII matched up four 50 calibers which were then used as an anti-aircraft gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
My least favorite shooting slang term is "boolits", instead of bullets or projectiles. It reinforces the liberal snobs opinions of us as dumb country Hicks too stupid to know what is good for us.

I think I know all of them but I don't like them and I don't use them. Problem is some one new to shooting can be left with not a clue what is being talked about. Same with a lot of slang words. One had me stumped for a long time before I finally found out what it meant. Don't even remember it any more. You'll find most time's I won't even use well known abbreviations without writing it first. Example would be Max Point Blank Range. How many new people would have an idea what that was if i just wrote MPBR? I find the use of abbreviation's and slang appalling! Probably because there are time's I haven't a clue what someone is talking about with their newly invented slang word or abbreviation! Rant over! :-)

My favorite was from my mother in law. She had me take a wrong turn one night and we ended up in a bad part of town and she asked me if I was walking a Roscoe. First time she was ever happy about me packing a heater(another one from her)

It was a gun truck we had in Nam as part of our security which had a WWII matched up four 50 calibers
Can still be seen on KinMen Island. Also can be seen in towers of traffic circles. An imposing sight. Well, maybe not. It has been almost 15 years since I was on KinMen.

My least favorite shooting slang term is "boolits"
Among some casters this term is used to differentiate between home cast and purchased bullets.

Last edited:
Just like BUFF can describe a B-52 in a politically correct way and a non-PC way, so can BFG. :eek::p

And then there's "squirrel gun". (Johnny Horton: Battle of New Orleans)

Last edited:
Stephen Hunter

In one of the Stephen Hunter novels, Bob lee Swagger, the main character, uses the term "poodle shooter" to describe a M94. I liked that one alot.

In one of the Stephen Hunter novels, Bob lee Swagger, the main character, uses the term "poodle shooter" to describe a M94. I liked that one alot.
I like this one too. Did you notice that in the movie, he refers to the .22 LR bolt gun with homemade silencer as the poodle shooter?

Back