Favorite Shooting/Gun sayings and phrases

germanator2

Inactive
I was watching The Patriot the other day and Mel Gibson says "Aim small, miss small". Also watched the season 3 premiere of Shooter and a phrase that is said in the episode is "If it ain't loaded it ain't lethal".
What are some of your favorite sayings about guns, whether its from movie/tv or something you've heard before??

Not exactly a gun saying but I follow John Correia and his active self protection videos on YouTube and whenever a perp gets taken down and he says "he took the room temperature challenge" I get a little laugh.

"I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than need a gun and not have it."

Though you can pretty much insert anything where the word "gun" is, such as toilet paper haha

You can't miss fast enough to win.

Funny exchange between a lawyer and Rooster Cogburn, from True Grit:

Goudy: Now is it not true that you sprang up on old man Wharton and his two sons with a deadly, six shot revolver in your hand?

Rooster Cogburn: I always try to be ready.

Goudy: Was this revolver loaded and cocked?

Rooster Cogburn: Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin'.

Last edited:
"There are no 'good guns.' There are no 'bad guns.' Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody, except bad people."

And

"Now, I doubt any of you would prefer a rolled up newspaper as a weapon against a dictator or a criminal intruder. Yet in essence, that is what you have asked our loved ones to do, through an ill-contrived and totally naive campaign against the Second Amendment."

And

"Hit hard, hit fast, hit often"

and

"In War you win or lose, live or die - the difference is just an eyelash."

"Don't point at anything you don't want to destroy...including yourself."

"From my cold dead hands" - Charlton Heston

"Go ahead punk, do you feel lucky" - Clint Eastwood

"Good enough for government work" - In reference to the AK's accuracy.

"Treat all guns as if they are loaded"

"Never trust a safety"

"Be aware of your backstop and what's behind it"

"Don't put your trigger finger on the trigger, until you are on target an ready to fire."

"It appears that everybody is back...line is hot...HOT."

"I like guns" - song by Steve Lee

Last edited:
Rooster Cogburn: "Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin'."

And the classic gun quote of my generation:

Dirty Harry: 'Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?"

Thought of another one: “Son, only a pimp in a Louisiana whore-house carries pearl-handled revolvers. These are ivory.” - Gen. George S. Patton

"He said it WASN'T loaded!!!!!"

"Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting again."

"Go ahead, make my day."

"How do I load this?" as they bring the gun to you to load, with the muzzle pointed at you...

Ifin you don't have a round up the pipe it's just an expensive rock thats damned hard to throw good.

Back