Favorite handguns?

Favorite handgun in my stable: S&W 1911 SC-E Bobtail. It (notice I didn't say 'I') could should competitive bullseye matches. When I'm having a good day I can put 7 out of 8 rounds into a space the size of a half-dollar at 10 yards (this doesn't happen that often). She fits in my hands like the designers took a mold of them, trigger is light and breaks perfectly clean, shoots like a laser . . . what's not to like?

Favorite handgun all-time: either the ubiquitous Colt Peacemaker .45 or the Remington 1858 New Army. Unfortunately, never had my hands on either, so have just lusted after both from afar. Perfect handguns, IMO.

Hard to say what's truly my favorite.

I am partial to Ruger six series revolvers, but on any given day am just as likely to carry a Blackhawk in the outdoors.

Although I have nothing against revolvers and do own one (a Ruger GP100), I tend to favor auto-loaders.

I don't buy pistols to become heirlooms or safe queens. I buy production service pistols with a reputation for reliability and quality. My favored makers are SIG Sauer and Beretta, but I am also fond of any decent quality model 1911.

I have pistols chambered in .22LR, 9mm Para, 357 SIG, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP and enjoy shooting them all.

If I had to pick a current favorite I suppose it would be my SIG P229R (.40 S&W/357 SIG).

I have several handguns, a 6" Colt Diamondback.22 - a 4" SS S&W Mountain gun in .41 magnum - a 4" S&W K-22 masterpiece in .22 - a Ruger Super Red Hawk in .45 colt/.454 Casull - and a Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm. It's hard to pick a favorite, but the Diamondback is the smoothest and has the best trigger and easily the most accurate. The EMP I carry everyday and shoot it the most. The Redhawk has taken 3 Cow Elk so far. I guess they're all my favorites.

Here in Indianapolis, IN, my favorite revolvers are a S&W 610 in 6 1/2" or my 6" model 19. For autoloaders: Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator and a IZH35M for target work.

Well, today I just loaded up 400 rnds of 38spl 147gr RN plated Xtreme. So I guess today would be my Smith mod 12, 15, 36,37 and 19. Who knows tomorrow!
One of my 1911,s always goes to the range whether it's a 9 or 45.

General chat: Hope everyone has a great Christmas. I'm pretty much imitating a couch potato today.

God bless, SG

Several come to mind -

• S&W Model 24-3 Lew Horton .44 special
  • Hi-Standard Supermatic Trophy (.22)
  • S&W 625-3 in .45 ACP
  • Colt 1908 Hammerless .380
  • H&K P7 (9mm)
A recent favorite, new to the fold, is a DGFM-(FMAP) .45 ACP converted to .22 by Venturini. Just an awful lot of fun to shoot the Argentine equivalent of a Colt Service Model Ace.

My favorite are my Glock 19s (I have two) and my Marlin 336SS (30-30).
I have a Ruger LCR that I love, but I need to buy me another revolver that matches the Marlin 30-30 Lever gun better.

Hands down favorite is my Ruger Superblackhawk .44 mag old model with screws not pins. I'm more accurate with this gun than any other I own.

favorite handguns

Evening all,

There are three that are favorites for me. Favorite revolver has to be the S&W 681 in stainless. I like the fixed sites and it is the best feeling wheel gun I have ever shot. The ones I prefer for carry are the EAA Witness in 9mm and the S&W SW9. The Witness is simply fun to shoot but dead nuts reliable. When I was moonlighting at a local liquor store it was there at all times. The SW9 is lighter, reliable, fun to shoot and comfortable to carry. I have that model in both 9mm and .40. It's odd to me though, while i like that one very much I can't warm up to the Glock which the SW9 seems largely copied from. I've had 2 Glocks but didn't keep them.

Rick H.

1955 Smith & Wesson pre-27
1943 Ithaca M1911 A1

lZIx9Mf.jpg

Turning 60 I treated myself to two handguns

Last edited by a moderator:
Must say that my Desert Eagle 1911 with Meprolite sights is so sweet, with no shake rattle and little to no trigger draw. I take it to the range with other of three firearms (pistol & rifle), and still marvel at this firearm in hold, accuracy and joy at what I can do to my bull's eye!

Back