Favorite handgun to shoot vs favorite to carry

Hiker 1

Do you all have a handgun that you enjoy shooting more than the one you carry?

For me, my favorite pistol to shoot is my SIG Scorpion 1911 .45 but I prefer to carry a S&W M&P 9C or Glock 23, equally, due to the size and weight difference between a compact polymer and a full-size 1911.

About the same here. I enjoy shooting my 1911's better. But it is one of the Glocks that get called upon if there is a real threat.

I love shooting 1911s, but I hate carrying them and never will carry them. The thought of cocked and locked scares me. Just a personal preference.

On the reverse, I love carrying my P2000 .40S&W, but shooting it isn't that great. The single action pull is good, but the double action pull just outright sucks.

Funnest shooting is the ones most accurate & best fit to hand.
1911s for fun/good shooting.
Carry S&W Shield, G-23, Smith ProCarry M-60 .357.
& so on.

I have lots.
Ruger single actions
T/C Contender
magnum auto pistols...
S&W N frames in .357 &.44
all my sport pistols in .22 LR
and some others, all fun to shoot, but not carry.

Carry gun is a Browning BDA .45. Also fun to shoot!

It's a tossup as to which I enjoy shooting most, my Python or my Ruger Mark I 22 pistol. But my favorite to carry is my Combat Commander.

I would probably have to choose a long slide CZ 75 as my favorite fun-to-shoot handgun, although a S&W 686 or Ruger SP101 with a well tuned trigger is a solid contender, as well. For concealed carry, though, I love my Springfield XD Subcompact.

Last edited:
I enjoy my 1911s and BHP the most at the range [other than .22lr].

Don't 'carry', due to location and carry laws.

Nightstand gun is closest to 'carry', and it is my M&P .45 with light.

IF I could carry, it would be my M&P9c.

However, the 1911 and BHP are the most fun for me!

All mine are fun to shoot....narrowing my choices down for comparison , I'll say my Dan Wesson 1911 Pointman 9 for target and Browning Hi Power for protection !

I enjoy shooting my XDm 45 3.8" compact and I enjoy shooting my Shield 9mm. I carry both at different times, so shooting them is good practice for that situation that we all hope never arises.

My two favorite shooters are my Neos and my 92FS, but I am not a big guy and neither would conceal well for me (even if I wanted to carry a .22LR), so my carry gun is a Glock 26. It is not a chore to shoot at all - quite enjoyable, actually - but it just doesn't compare to the 92.

No, my favorite gun to shoot is a full sized 1911 in 5"....and its also the gun I carry, because its the gun I shoot the best !

My favorite handgun to shoot is my Sig X-Five 9mm. The one I typically carry is a Ruger LC9 because I don't care if it gets banged around - and it does get banged around. My favorite carry gun is my Boberg XR9-S.

I guess I'm in the right company. Love shooting 1911s for fun. Every once in a while I'll shoot single stack division with one.

Obviously weight doesn't bother me most times, I carry a 4006. When the fire hydrant gets to be too much, my PT709...lol. ;)

Favorite to shoot is my Beretta M9A1

Favorite to carry is my Shield 9mm

Two guns I won't part with, cant see myself finding a much better carry gun than the Shield.

Back