Favorite fictional movie gun

I like the Babylon 5 PPG hand weapon. Once shot at an assailant through a window, it left him plastered against the far wall under a layer of melted glass.

I don't remember the title, but in an early BW TV movie, two factions of aliens agreed to send 5 entity teams to Earth to duke it out. Winner gets to invade Earth. Perfectly disguised as humans (Think of the savings in makeup.) each was equipped with a pair of sunglasses that would disclose enemy team members and a small hand weapon that killed. That's all, no flash, no blast, no disintegration or wound, just aim and squeeze, the target dies. Kind of like the Paratime Police Sigma ray needler. (Think of the savings in special effects.)
Spoiler: Last surviving team member on one side falls in love with a human. She leads him on until she can pick up his weapon and zap him. Closing scene is an up angle through his fallen sunglasses. She is glimmering in the enemy telltale.

Last edited:
f5d6aea92ef297fdedffc41b8cece42e.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The most powerful handgun in the world, the Podbyrin 9.2mm from Red Heat.

Actually a modified Desert Eagle Mk I made to look somewhat like an overgrown Walther P38.

400px-Podbyrin9_2mmPistol.jpg

400px-RH-PodNew02a.jpg

I wonder, did the writer know that a "9mm Makarov" is really 9.2mm?
After all, magnumizing a standard caliber is common in the real gun business.

I wonder, did the writer know that a "9mm Makarov" is really 9.2mm?

It would be a pretty big coincidence otherwise. Although it would be a push to get the Mak past .44 Magnum territory (directly compared in the film). Sort of like working with a ".380 magnum". I think you'd have nothing of the Mak left except bore size.

Somebody did note that "Podbyrin" is not a Russian name. It's just a made-up word meant to sound Eastern European exotic.

Roy Rogers' SAA that never needed reloading.
"...don't think that's possible in the real world..." Nope, but anything is possible in movies and TV.

Was Josh Randal's Mare's Leg a fictional gun?

I've always wondered if this was ever done in real life,,,
Or was it a complete Hollyweird creation.

300px-Mcqueen.jpg

My grandfather had an old Mauser that was cut down like that,,,
But he only did it because the barrel was bent.

That was the loudest fieryarm I ever fired.

Aarond

aarondgraham said:
Was Josh Randal's Mare's Leg a fictional gun?
I've always wondered if this was ever done in real life,,,
Or was it a complete Hollyweird creation.
I'm pretty sure it was a Hollywood creation. That was the period when it seemed like every TV western hero (or anti-hero) had to have some kind of trademark weapon. Bat Materson had the Buntline Special (which actually was an historical firearm). The Rifleman had the bog-loop Winchester with the screw in the trigger guard so it fired as the loop closed. Then Chuck Conners starred in "Branded," in which he carried his former cavalry officer's sabre, which had been broken when he was kicked out of the Army, resharpened into a knife with a cavalry hilt. The Lone Ranger had his silver bullets. Lash LaRue had his whip. Some other cowboy hero wore two guns, butts forward (Wild Bill Elliott?). Shotgun Slade didn't carry a six gun. (You might be able to guess what he did carry.) Johnny Ringo carried a version of the LeMat revolver. Johnny Yuma carried a sawed-off shotgun.

And Steve McQueen had the Mare's Leg. It was actually chambered in .44-40, so the cartridges in the cartridge belt didn't fit it but they were there to look more impressive. I was a kid at the time, I didn't know any better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare's_Leg

Last edited:
Back