favorite all-purpose rifle/caliber?

I've been considering the same question.

How about the Ruger Gunsite Scoute Rifle (308 cal)?

I can definitely see where a 30 30 lever action would be handy all around.

I'm with GeauxTide, in that the Ruger Compact in 260 is just about perfect as an all around rifle. I had some reservations about it, and considered it my 'short range' hunting rifle, but when the 400 yard shots on pigs and coyotes presented themselves, the 260 knocked em flat. Ruger really got it right with that little rifle.

the closest thing i have to an all purpose rifle is my remington 700 in 243 that I inherited from my father. it's more than enough for coyotes and skunks has proven time and again that it is greater than the 200-250 pound deer that I usually go for. it's also a good choice if I'm planning a mountain black bear hunt too. it is a little on the anemic side for elk but a 105 gr hot load will do the trick since my gun seems to favor the heavier hotter loads anyway. however if I ever do win a moose draw then I will have to reach for one of my 30 cal milsurp rifles or my 300 weatherby to do the trick however I would never waste good deer meat by blowing the poor beast in half with the wby. next to the 243 I would say that 303 brit, 7.62x54R or 30-06 would all be about equals in second place: a little light for moose or bison and a little overkill for varmints but decently suited to larger deer, elk and black bear.

Another .260 nut

Glad to see the .260 fans out. This has been my go to round for over ten years and has produced excellent results on whitetail, axis, hogs here in Texas. I have a Model 7 stainless and an A-Bolt Matte hunter.

Marlin 336 in .35rem. 150 or 200gr bullets and with hornady ammo, it becomes a 200yd gun. You could also look at the Remington 760/7600 in 270, 308, or 30-06.

Back