favorite all-purpose rifle/caliber?

Amprecon

I'm thinking of an SPS in .223/5.56. What scope do you have on that?

More in line with the post; favorite all-purpose rifle/caliber?

Mine would be a .308/7.62x51 with controlled round feed. I've got three Mauser K98's, two in 7.62, one 'bubbaed'.

For me it's my Marlin 336 30-30 in the brush and my Remington 700 - 270 in open fields.
when it comes to firearms I don't believe in the "One size fits all" theory. ;)

Great Article Addressing this Question

This is one of the best articles I've ever read on this issue. There's a lot of data to wade through backing up the conclusions, and some of the findings are surprising.

For those of you lacking the patience to read the whole thing, he concludes that the most versatile rounds in order of power are .260, .308, .30-06, and .338.

I am a sold-out .270 lover who would have argued vehemently for the .270 being the best "one gun," caliber, but this article has made me re-think my position.

Check it out.

7X57 has all the power I need any more. For a few years, I thought a cartridge needed to make me dizzy and cause nosebleeds when you fired it in order to be adequate against the tiny deer we have around here. Common sense and pain avoidance finally kicked in and I went back to the 7X57.

What about a bolt gun in 7.62x39? CZ makes a nice little one and I think Ruger does as well. I've been thinking about one myself. Cheap to shoot with all the steel case stuff and if you reload it can be very accurate. I missed out on a great deal on the little CZ carbine and am kicking myself.

Excellent points guys! Thank you so much.

I originally posted this because I was one day away from buying another rifle, but I calmed down and now this is an excellent "academic" post. Oh, I'm still buying a rifle (or a few) but perspectives have changed a bit.

I'm still liking the 30-30, but a lightweight 7mm-08 bolt has my fancy now too. I'm also curious about the scout rifle, though I think I'll need to find a way to shoot one before I put money on the table. Some innovations are improvements, and others turn out to be just fads.
-StaTiK-

Hopeisnotastrategy said
"This is one of the best articles I've ever read on this issue. [chuckhawks.com] There's a lot of data to wade through backing up the conclusions, and some of the findings are surprising.For those of you lacking the patience to read the whole thing, he concludes that the most versatile rounds in order of power are .260, .308, .30-06, and .338.I am a sold-out .270 lover who would have argued vehemently for the .270 being the best "one gun," caliber, but this article has made me re-think my position.Check it out."

That is a good read and Chuck is very knowledgeable but has his own personal biases like everyone, including other very learned gun "scholars." I read him for years, but he dis'd on a few faves of mine--which I don't even remember now but one may have been the good ol 30-30--if so, sacrilege!--without his usual good analysis and formerly objective nature--so since, I've not viewed him as quite the bastion of all that's Truthful in firearms and cartridges. Still, I enjoy his articles and he knows a heck of a lot more than most and certainly I!

A similar case can be made for something like .30-30 <175, .7mm-08 thence (<300) on medium game*, .270 >300 medium game, .300WM large NA game, or .35 Whelen in a non-magnum.
I'll stick by my .30-30 for the shorter stuff, .270 as longer range do-all for now but as stated, am also enamored with the 7mm-08 *in a short-action lightweight mountain rifle as well. Although I no longer have, I wouldn't argue against the '06 as a "one and only" though a bit more than "necessary" for the smaller stuff and/or short range. To me the .270 can be--and is better known for--downloaded (grains) for varmints n such, so is pretty versaitle for such critters all the way up to elk these days what with modern bullet advancments.these days. If elk is not regularly on the menu, the 7mm-08 looks hard to beat (and will do a yeoman's job with the elk thing if called upon to do so).

I read the whole article and found it to be a total waste of time and pure BS. I couldn't be a gun writer if I had to go to those lengths to sell a story that would just confuse most people who would read it I'd give up on the job. OGW just like TKO is just a myth as there is no magic number needed to kill game effectively. You just need enough energy to provide enough penetration for the bullet to do its job. Plus switching ammunition like the writer did with everything just skews the data. Most people I know who hunt find one load that provides the best balance of power, velocity, and trajectory. I know I'm sure not going to downgrade to managed recoil because I don't need the extra performance of a full power load for hunting game because my shots might not reach 300 yards.

BTW Greg R. Haskins wrote it not Chuck Hawks.

I hunt and live in New Hampshire.
I have 270s/308/243s/223s/6.8spc
two cowboy marlin 94's one in 357 and 45colt
a 1939 Win model 94.
My go to gun is an old model Ruger 44mag carbine
with a 2x on top.

1) 7mm Rem Mag [ Hunted 2011 and 2010]
2) 270 [Hunted 2008, 2009, and 2010]

This year [2012], if I have time, I will build and hunt with a 257Roberts Ackley Improved Rimmed on a falling block action.
I think I will be able get more pressure out of the rimmed brass without loose primer pockets.

"All purpose"...

rifles don't exist, IMHO.

For instance:

My .243 is a Win M70 "Short Action Carbine" . It fits a specific niche, in that it weighs only about 6 lbs (with Leupold 1.75-6X scope), has a very short barrel, and lends itself to being carried all day with minimum fatigue. Good for thick cover areas. Can shoot (small or large) varmints up to medium size deer. Not good for long range (short barrel loses about 200 fps velocity). I use this one for "sneaking and peeking" in the National Forests of the East Texas Piney Woods.

My .270 WSM is a Win M70 Classic Featherweight. It also fits a specific niche. It is not so portable as the .243, being about 2 pounds heavier, and 4 or 5 inches longer barrel. Still, not bad for general walking around on a hunt. Not for thick cover areas, but really in its niche for long range vistas and heavier game. Scope is a Pentax Lightseeker, 3-11x, AO - a long range specific glass, for sure. A good rifle for Colorado elk hunts.

My 7X57 Mauser is a DuBiel Arms Company custom bolt action, which overlaps the .243 on the short end, and the .270 WSM on the long end. Low recoil, heavy to carry (about 10 pounds - laminated wood stock, medium weight barrel), accurate. This is my intermediate range go to rifle for sitting on stand. Fitted with a Leupold VX-3, 2.5-8X scope, it's ideal for sitting in a box blind within 100 yards of a corn feeder on a Texas ranch, or in a tree stand in the East Texas Piney Woods.

If I ever decided to go for moose and/or brown bear,. I would need a .338 Win Mag.

But until then, I'm set for what I do.

Last edited:
Another vote for the 7mm-08. My buddy has a Remington Model 7, stainless with a synthetic stock and a good red dot and I swear it is the most natural feeling gun I have ever picked up. If you can find a better all around gun, buy it. immediately.

As far as an all purpose caliber, I would give my vote to the .243 win. As far as a rifle I would say H&R HANDI RIFLE. THERE CHEAP, THERE LIGHT, THERE RELIABLE, and ysou dony mind dinging them up. Dont get me wrong I have two weatherby vangaurds, and a rem 700 and like them all, but when I know I have hard hunting ahead of me my .243 handi is what I grab.

Just my .02

Was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I got a Ruger Compact in 260. Fell in love and got a Savage 16 WW in 260. .640" out the box. The 260 will do everything a 243 will, but you can load 120-140gr bullets (pencils).

To cover your rifle gap from varmint, to your 7mm mag. I'd go with a good bolt action in one of these cal. There's the .257 roberts, but finding ammo could be tuff. there's the 7x57, It would be a good pick. but I think the best choice is a 7mm08. If your talking short range thick woods, You can't beat a 7.62x39 in a bolt action, or the tried and true 30-30 in a lever action. good Luck.

Last edited:
I have several rifles but what I don't have is something all-purpose. I have varminters, "police" heavy barrels, "evil rifles", and a 7mm magnum.

I mostly have "precision" rifles set up to be shot either from the prone or from a rest. I'm now looking for a rifle that can be slung over a shoulder and carried out on a hunt... what and where are still to be determined. So, not knowing the target, what do you recommend?

How about something different for a change: a lever action Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 .30-30. Even more fun is a Marlin 1895 .45-70. :D All are great knock around bush rifles. :)

Actually you are a good candidate for the 26-06. You have varmit rifles, You have the 7mm Mag. The 25-06 will provide you with the flat trajectory that you are used to with little recoil. Ammo is readily available at a reasonable price. If you reload, brass will never be a problem. Very few people I know who own one have ever parted with it, and those that have, regretted it.

Back